Other recommended schools

Guest Shay VanVlymen

Guest Shay VanVlymen

Another member here sent me a PM and asked about training schools I’d recommend. Keeping in mind that this is a Tennessee specific forum I don’t have too many local options to recommend with two exceptions. Rangemaster in Memphis is a terrific school with Tom Givens at the helm. His students are a testament to the quality of his instruction. The only other Tennessee instructor I’ve trained with is Leroy Farris. He teaches NRA basic, instructor and LE classes and does a great job. The NRA basic classes are a good, safe start to formal training though if you have taken the TN CCW class some of the info will be redundant.

If you are willing to travel a bit your options for quality training broaden. You don’t have to make a $5000 pilgrimage to a huge school (although there’s nothing wrong with that) to get good training. Several great trainers travel the country being hosted at ranges and there are plenty of regional schools. Here is a list of schools and trainers I can recommend:

TDI

DTI

Options for Personal Security

Defensive Edge

SouthNarc

Gabe Suarez

Paul Gomez

David Blinder

Others that I don’t know personally but come recommended from trusted friends:

Insights

Pat Rogers

Dave Harrington

Karl Rehn

Marty Hayes

I know Paul Gomez is being hosted in Chattanooga for an AK class at the end of this month. Tom runs several classes a month in Memphis and a once-a-year tactical conference that is a great training value. We are looking at hosting a few traveling instructors in Camden later this year as well.

I’m doing this off the top of my head so this list is by no means complete. There are tons of good instructors out there. Yes, there are some that aren’t so my advice is to read student reviews of the training to decide where to spend your time and money.

The main point of this thread is to let you guys know that there are plenty of training opportunities available. While I’d like you to train with Tactical Response it may not be possible or for whatever reason we aren’t the school for you. No problem. Find another school and take a class. Training does matter especially when you carry a gun as many of you reading this do.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Loaded247

I've been to a few, including Thunder Ranch, which I highly recommend. The only local one I've done is RangeMaster, with Tom Givens, which I enjoyed.

I will be attending the S&W Academy Instructor Recertification the first week of May, but after that, I'm going to look into getting some training from Gabe Saurez, and from Tactical Response.....

Guest Greentimber

I can vouch for InSights (Greg Hamilton) and FAS (Marty Hayes). Both are very different, but valuable in their own way. FAS is the least dogmatic training I've seen. Saw some surprising things I would have otherwise discounted were I not open minded. Greg at InSights "gets it" as far as mindset and can communicate his message well.

ETA: Tactical Response is still my #1 pick.

I've yet to get up to Larry Vickers' place so far. That and Rifles only are on my short list when I get some money again. :up: