? about 25/06

mudstud

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Huntaholic

EXCELLENT round! For anything from mule deer, black bear, and on down, this is a very capable caliber. I bought one for one of my sons when he got big enough to hunt and its never let either one of us down! As far as accuracy is concerned, one of the best groups Ive ever shot was with this rifle.

Guest USMC 2013

Great cartridge if you only plan on hunting TN whitetail deer and smaller game. If you want a more versatile round go with something in .30 cal, like a .308. Semper Fi,

Joe

Great cartridge if you only plan on hunting TN whitetail deer and smaller game. If you want a more versatile round go with something in .30 cal, like a .308. Semper Fi,

Joe

Actually, there are many instances of this cartridge being used out west for long range Antelope all the way up to Elk.

This is a very versatile cartridge. Many loads that throw a 120gr bullet over 3K FPS.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/why_25-06.htm

Edited by Good_Steward
Guest USMC 2013

Not trying to start a caliber fued here, just stating my opinion. I think it would be a great antelope gun as I would put them in a class smaller than TN whitetail. What I, personally, wouldn't hunt with a 25-06 would be anything larger, i.e. bear, elk, mule deer.

People have killed moose with a .22, but if I am paying everything it costs to go on a moose hunt, you better believe it ain't gonna be a 25-06 I'll be carrying. Since I hunt in multiple states I try to keep my rifle calibers as versatile as possible. IMO a .308 is more versatile of a cartridge. Semper Fi,

Joe

i have been looking for my frist dear rife and i have found a

savage 25/06 at a good price but i dont have any back ground

on this round would like any wisdom you yall might have thanks

Not for your first / only rifle, unless you plan to buy more in the near future. Its a fine caliber and a great shooter, but for your first I would strongly recommend one of the common calibers instead, 30-30, 243, 308, 30-06 come to mind. The farther you get from these, the more difficult it can be to find ammo. The 25-06 is a 30-06 modified, so why not use the original, common caliber? The differences are slight (it has a little more range and a little better trajectory, but are you really shooting at stuff out past 1k yards?) and mostly lost on game in TN or even most of the south.

As with any cartridge there are lots of fans and 25/06 fans are very vocal in their support. However I can't get away with the fact that everytime I look at one I find myself thinking 'it is almost as good as a .270' so I never owned one. However it is a great hunting round and will suit your needs=the main thing with all of them is to put a proper bullet in the proper place and you will be eating venison. TTT

Guest robinsonfam1

i agree with ammo issues.

great caliber but if you find yourself traveling to hunt and need more ammo you might be hard pressed compared to more common rounds (.308, 30-06, .270, 300 etc)

its a hard hitting, fast, flat shooting round

Here's an end all to the debate. If it tickles your fancy, then buy it. It's proven accurate cartridge and it's deadly efficient. It if makes you happy, BUY IT. But you can't buy it and talk about it unless you post a picture:)

BTW, just take up handloading and forget availability issues. You can make 25/06 brass from 30/06 easy enough. Save money, take pride in the process. Good luck in whatever you choose.

It is my favorite small and medium sized game caliber. The only downfall is the fact that ammo is more expensive and harder to find but ask yourself how much do you plan on shooting it? I know guys that go through 100 rounds a month and others that will never shoot that in a lifetime. One of the cheapest and deadliest over the counter rounds i've shot would be the Winchester 120gr Positive Expanding Point. It hardly ever passes through an adult whitetail but bow does it like to turn vitals into jelly.

As you probably know, the 25-06 is a 30-06 parent case necked down to accept a .257" bullet. It is a fine deer cartridge. You'll need to be the judge of whether the extra ammo expense and scarcity is worth it to you. 25-06 ammo isn't hard to find, but you won't find many different loadings on the same shelf like you will in 270 or 30-06. As for me, I like the oddballs; but I reload. I've yet to have any problems anchoring deer with the 250-3000 Savage or the 257 Roberts, and the 25-06 is ballistically superior to either, with all three sporting a 25 cal projectile.

The advantage is the high sectional density bullets crammed in to what is by all measures a belt-less magnum cartridge. The result in a VERY flat shooting gun. My M77 is zeroed in at 270 yard point blank. Basically the balistics allow me to put the crosshairs on the vitals of a deer from 0-400 yards with a solid hit. That is a huge advantage....if you see a deer with an unaided eye you will hit it without the need for rangefinder or fiddling with the scope.

Not many other cartridges can do this. The 117 grain speer bullets that have been made for what seems forever are about the best hunting bullet made.

some lighter 80 grainers are pushing 3750 fps and work well on varmints if your shoulder can handle it....coyote and groundhog basically explode.

Only other versatile cartridge that may be its match is the .243. Another of the most underrated cartridges that has ever been chambered.

The bad - unless you are a reloader then this is not for you....buy a 30/06 or 270 like the rest of the folks who like shopping for ammo at Wal-Mart. They are good cartridges, but really aren't suited to multi role like the 6.5 or 6mm chamberings.

• 1 month later...

FYI, I have a Ruger m77 mk-I in 25/06. I have killed more than 100 deer. Many were large quite large. Several were UT mule deer. I have never missed a shot and never had a deer take a single step. My 7mag, .308 and 30/30 cannot make such a claim. Ive even shot two deer with 12 gauge slugs appoint blank range and they've taken steps. I truly believ there is something almost magical about the ballistics.

FYI, I have a Ruger m77 mk-I in 25/06. I have killed more than 100 deer. Many were large quite large. Several were UT mule deer. I have never missed a shot and never had a deer take a single step. My 7mag, .308 and 30/30 cannot make such a claim. Ive even shot two deer with 12 gauge slugs appoint blank range and they've taken steps. I truly believ there is something almost magical about the ballistics.

While not having a 25/06 I can attest to the 7mm mag. I shot a doe when i was 17 at 200 yards, her chest cavity exploded and she still run 200 yards. I can't seem to figure out why that gun won't lay em down in there tracks.