Camera/Taking Picture Help

Guest db99wj

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What mcurrier said. You can format the card or not. I never have, but I'm not a pro either. Auto-focus doesn't work in low light. If when you hold the shutter down half way the lens "searches" for a moment, there's not enough light for it to work.

This site has lots of info and a free e-newsletter with some pretty good tips. http://digital-photography-school.com/

Practice, practice, practice...

Guest db99wj

I took some candid pics, some night pics with light towers in the background, some action pics of baseball games and an multi pic action shot of a golf swing. This thing is doing exactly what I wanted it to do and I still don't know how to use it very well! I post some pics later. Thanks for the info and thanks for that link.

Guest db99wj

Ok, I like this camera stuff! This could get expensive! Anyway, me, taking some random quick pics at our church and schools annual charity festival/baseball tournament

Night shot. Still haven't figured out night shots completely and all the focus issues , but I'm getting there, I will continue to practice. My son is more in focus than my daughter and her friend.

IMG_0065.jpg

Better night shot, more in focus.

IMG_0116.jpg

This one is what makes me happy, this shot is from a distance, I'm behind the outfield fence, I can see the ball and it looks like a ball, not a blur! I was too far away for the lens, but thats ok.

IMG_0102.jpg

Here's my first action, multi-picture shot. Which is one of the main reasons I wanted a better camera. This was just in the "Sport" selection. I am pretty sure I can speed it up

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

I like this one, I rushed it, because he was hiding, so the camera focused in on the cabinet. I still like it!

IMG_0002.jpg

I will continue working on my techniques and the settings. I've had fun with it so far. I could see this turning into a hobby, with a problem of affording what I want!

With that said, getting ready to order a 75-300mm lens. I have to have something that will reach out, I love taking pics of wildlife and need something that will reach out a bit.

Ok, I like this camera stuff! This could get expensive!

It usually does.

I could see this turning into a hobby, with a problem of affording what I want!

See above ^^^

With that said, getting ready to order a 75-300mm lens. I have to have something that will reach out, I love taking pics of wildlife and need something that will reach out a bit.

Keep in mind that while that lens may work in out in great daylight, or under VERY bright stadium lights, lenses like that are usually very bad in dim light. They require a LOT of light to work properly. They have a very difficult time focusing, and images may be blurred due to slow shutter speed because those lenses do not gather a lot of light.

The $200 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lens is not going to work like a $5,000 200mm f/2.0 or 300mm f/2.8 lens, and the resulting images are not going to be the same.

If you have enough light out there (daylight) you may get satisfactory results. Just trying to prepare you for what you may come to find with that lens.

Guest db99wj

I am beginning to understand that, reading a ton of reviews.

I will buy used which will save me some money and I can use it for everyday stuff like at football/baseball/soccer/ games and daylight stuff..

Edited by db99wj

Ok, I like this camera stuff! This could get expensive!

yep.

This one is what makes me happy, this shot is from a distance, I'm behind the outfield fence, I can see the ball and it looks like a ball, not a blur! I was too far away for the lens, but thats ok.

A little motion blur might look cool... seeing the path of the ball through the air.

Here's my first action, multi-picture shot. Which is one of the main reasons I wanted a better camera. This was just in the "Sport" selection. I am pretty sure I can speed it up

Actually, probably not. The sports mode will choose the fastest practical shutter speed... 1/1500 or faster bright sunlight. If you right-click on the photo and hit properties, it should tell you the aperature, f-stop, and shutter speed for each photo. If you hold the shutter button down, it'll go into burst mode and you'll get 3 pics/second.

I will continue working on my techniques and the settings. I've had fun with it so far. I could see this turning into a hobby, with a problem of affording what I want!

Tell me about it....

What mcurrier said. Zoom lenses are light hogs and you get what you pay for.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/35mm-Lenses/ci/3018/N/4294247086

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Digital/system-Canon-Digital/category-Zoom-Lenses?s=1&bcode=DC&ccode=7&cc=80296&r=WG&f

Guest db99wj

Got this today. Not great glass, but will help to reach out a bit.

I got it from B&H (link above). Thanks!

6c53c4fc-9721-e8d9.jpg

Edited by db99wj
Guest db99wj

Here is a few pics that I took over on Reelfoot Lake's Walnut Log area. I like them, I hope you enjoy!

Edited by db99wj