Backpacking/camping anyone?

Guest bkelm18

Man I hate I am not on that part of the state. I would be all over this. Just went ultralight myself. I dont have everything yet but my I have a BPW of about 13lbs now. It really made a big difference in how I felt and the distance I am able to travel. I do an annual Big Hill Pond weekend hike with some fraternity brothers every year in February. Good times!

13lbs... I wonder what that's like. For me, the minimum weight is about 30lbs, usually closer to 40lbs. My 1yr old weighs 19 lbs, the pack he rides in weighs 8 lbs, plus diapers, wipes, drinks, snacks, camera, bug dope, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, spare clothes, first aid kit, ... and that's just for a trip to the grocery store! :D

The 5-ish mile distance sounds good to me as well. And I also prefer hiking in the cooler weather. It's relatively easy to keep warm as long as you're moving, no bugs, no leaves to spoil the view, fewer people.

Guest bkelm18
Man, I'm getting excited about trying to join in on one of these trips! I'll subscribe to make sure I don't miss out!

We'd be glad to have you. I'm really excited to get back out on the trail as well. Meeting some good folks and enjoying the great outdoors, can't get much better.

Edited by bkelm18

Well, my daughters pack came in today. It fits her good and we are fired up about doing some hiking this spring. We are looking for total pack weights under 20 pounds. Both of our packs are under 2 pounds. I have an Osprey Exos 34 and she has an Osprey Talon 33. We are splitting the weight of a Mountain Hardwear Lightpath 3 tent, 5 pounds. Both of us will have 2 pound sleeping bags. This should help keep our base weights down. I picked up a 3/4 length Therm-a-rest pad for her on Craigslist for 20 bucks, it's about 25 ounces and fits her well. I have a couple of regular sized Therm-a-rest pads too. I hope I can upgrade to a lighter pad for myself, but we shall see. I have a Katadyn Hiker water filter on the shopping list for this weekend. Water is heavy, so we'll plan to carry less and refill as needed. We'll both carry 2 liter platypus bottles with drinking tubes. I have a small Peak 1 canister stove. Still need to pick up a couple titanium mugs for us. I have outfitted both of us with light weight clothing to help with total weights too.

I read somewhere that it costs between 600 and 1000 dollars to outfit with an ultralight hiking set up. That may be, but I have been shopping on ebay, craigslist and goodwill and I haven't spent anywhere near that amount on our stuff. The sleeping bags will be the biggest purchase, but I am insisting on going new for them. Luckily my wife is understanding and supportive.

I will probably do more solo hiking, so I am planning to pick up a lightweight solo tent too.

I did all the heavy pack hiking I ever wanted to do in the Army, so now I am going to make sure we are as light as financially possible.

I ditched the tent years ago for a small pack hammock about the size of my fist. I also carry a 6x8 tarp, which at an angle, serves as a rain fly over the hammock. I keep the weight down on the pack by having dual purpose items. The tarp is an essential item it can serve as rain fly, rain catch, shelter, bag, stretcher, signaling material and a wind breaker. I always try to carry at least one can of benny weenies for the first night to use at a cup for the rest of the trip and eliminate any foods which require pots/pans/bowls or any other "single use" item. My sleeping bag is the only single use item that I carry which could serve other purposes if necessary.

Guest bkelm18

Well this seems to have garnered quite a bit of interest. So, should we aim for a late Feb/early March weekend overnight outing? Sooner? Later? I'm open for input. I'm open to suggestions for day-hikes as well if that strikes anyone's fancy.

Guest NYCrulesU
Well this seems to have garnered quite a bit of interest. So, should we aim for a late Feb/early March weekend overnight outing? Sooner? Later? I'm open for input. I'm open to suggestions for day-hikes as well if that strikes anyone's fancy.

After tax returns...so I can get some supplies and join in lol

Guest bkelm18
After tax returns...so I can get some supplies and join in lol

I hear ya. I've already got a couple hundred bucks in gear picked out and ready to order. :shrug:

I have some extra equipment that I don't mind loaning out for a trip. I would rather loan it to a young man that is still in school and can't afford to purchase their own stuff. Since I live in Clarksville, I could help outfit a Clarksville/Nashville area person and give them a ride.

I vote for early to mid March. The later we wait, the warmer it will be. The warmer it is, the less we have to carry. Turkey season opens the end of March.

Guest bkelm18
I have some extra equipment that I don't mind loaning out for a trip. I would rather loan it to a young man that is still in school and can't afford to purchase their own stuff. Since I live in Clarksville, I could help outfit a Clarksville/Nashville area person and give them a ride.

I vote for early to mid March. The later we wait, the warmer it will be. The warmer it is, the less we have to carry. Turkey season opens the end of March.

Very good of you to offer. The start-up costs can get expensive quickly. This isn't going to be a one time thing (at least I hope not), so we might be able to squeeze in a trip every month or two (or more) depending on everyone's taste of weather and of course depending on interest.

Very good of you to offer. The start-up costs can get expensive quickly. This isn't going to be a one time thing (at least I hope not), so we might be able to squeeze in a trip every month or two (or more) depending on everyone's taste of weather and of course depending on interest.

I have been working 6 days the last few weeks, but hopefully that will calm down as this draws closer.

Also as spring/summer gets here, I may start a canoe/kayak/camp thread companion to this one. I know of at least one other forum member close to my location that would probably attend.

As to the ultra light crowd, I am sure that does make the hiking itself more comfortable, but after about 11 years of buying the latest/greatest/lightest gear possible, I just find the weight savings as an excuse to put more stuff in my pack:)

Guest bkelm18
I have been working 6 days the last few weeks, but hopefully that will calm down as this draws closer.

Also as spring/summer gets here, I may start a canoe/kayak/camp thread companion to this one. I know of at least one other forum member close to my location that would probably attend.

As to the ultra light crowd, I am sure that does make the hiking itself more comfortable, but after about 11 years of buying the latest/greatest/lightest gear possible, I just find the weight savings as an excuse to put more stuff in my pack:)

One of these days I'll pick up a kayak. I always have a blast when I use a friend's.

Just got into kayaking last Fall--I'm in for that as well! (at least flat, calmer waters, that is....not up to whitewater stuff just yet--ha!)

Been enjoying canoeing/kayaking for prob about 6 years now, but mostly as a mode of wilderness transportation; none of that whitewater stuff, but it does sure look fun.

I have one canoe and one kayak so far, so would have a couple of spots to share if needed. Also have a pretty good kayak/canoe rental place on the Elk River down this way. They also have a campground or you can camp along the way.

Been enjoying canoeing/kayaking for prob about 6 years now, but mostly as a mode of wilderness transportation; none of that whitewater stuff, but it does sure look fun.

I have one canoe and one kayak so far, so would have a couple of spots to share if needed. Also have a pretty good kayak/canoe rental place on the Elk River down this way. They also have a campground or you can camp along the way.

We float the Elk a couple times each year. I would like to do the overnight trip this year. I have an old heavy canoe, but I'd really like to upgrade this year.

We float the Elk a couple times each year. I would like to do the overnight trip this year. I have an old heavy canoe, but I'd really like to upgrade this year.

My favorite part of the river is from the dam to Farris Creek Bridge, and for a second day Farris Creek to the outfitter is a pretty good trip. But at least a few times a year (especially if we have a group) we will start at the outfitter and float down to Chenault Ford and they shuttle us back to their campground.

We will definitely get a group together this year if there is enough interest.

My favorite part of the river is from the dam to Farris Creek Bridge, and for a second day Farris Creek to the outfitter is a pretty good trip. But at least a few times a year (especially if we have a group) we will start at the outfitter and float down to Chenault Ford and they shuttle us back to their campground.

We will definitely get a group together this year if there is enough interest.

Sounds good. We usually camp at the outfitters and do the Old Dam Ford trip back down. One trip per year is with all my rowdy friends. One trip is family and kids. The kids usually do yaks by themselves. I think I would like the dam down to the outfitter best, but I don't know much about the river below the outfitter. I want the most current I can get. :)

• 2 weeks later...
For those lacking gear, I've got a great pack up for sale in the classifieds.

Edited: It sold. ;)

I am glad your pack sold! What have you purchased to replace it? REI makes some good 30L packs that are lightweight and very reasonable. I just bought a new sleeping bag last night saving me 1.6lbs.

Guest bkelm18
I am glad your pack sold! What have you purchased to replace it? REI makes some good 30L packs that are lightweight and very reasonable. I just bought a new sleeping bag last night saving me 1.6lbs.

A Kelty external frame. It's a 60L I believe and maybe about a pound less than the other pack. 30L's are just too small for my purposes.

• 5 months later...
Guest bkelm18

Well, this never really panned out, but once the weather cools off, I'm getting back out on the trail. Perhaps there is still some interest? Perhaps it could be done in conjunction with one of these new-fangled survival get togethers. :)

Still interested myself. Have been on the river most every weekend at least once but haven't done any camping mostly due to the recent heat and before that my schedule.

Closer to the fall, I would definitely be up for some camping or backpacking.