Foster Care and Firearms?

Guest mellowglock

Guest mellowglock

Hi folks. I've a 26 year old guy who has been married for 6 years. I have a TN carry permit and generally carry concealed everywhere I legally can. I love guns, but am not a gun nut.

My wife and I own 2 pistols, her a Walther P22 and mine (my carry gun) a full sized XD in .45ACP. I believe that having a loaded firearm on you at all times can save your life if a robbery attempt, or worse, is made on myself or my wive's life.

We are getting ready to apply for Fostership here in Clinton, in Anderson County, TN. From what I understand though, from my wife who is researching the Fostercare system, is that all guns in the home must be locked up with ammunition locked away. I generally in the past have slept with my and her pistols, loaded, in a lock box by the bed in case anything goes bump in the night. If we were to implement the Fostercare systems's ways of gun safety, the guns would have to be locked up, completely empty in the lock box, with the ammo/magazines locked up in a separate area. Are there any readers on this site who have foster children that can verify the way this works? Or give me and tips?

We had foster kid for couple years back in the 80's. (really short notice kind of thing, 11 years old, we already knew him and his family fell apart). Never a mention of firearms. Then again, this was as I said long time ago, and Union County, to boot. Got the impression that as long as they didn't think we'd eat him, it was better than anything they could provide.

- OS

• Like 1
Guest mellowglock

I'm also interested if Fostercare stops me from carrying when at home? Or in the car when the child is with us? I'm the kind of guy where my gun is tucked so well, it's never seen.

They have to CYA because some (many!) of these kids are "troubled". Others are not, but because the state has to assume the worst, they give you absolutely stupid rules for your gun.

I do not know how these things work, but I would talk to your case worker about it. Put out there in black and white, just tell them you are uncomfortable with being unable to defend the life of your foster child under their rules and would prefer to have the gun ready to go in the case of a home invasion.

They have to CYA because some (many!) of these kids are "troubled". Others are not, but because the state has to assume the worst, they give you absolutely stupid rules for your gun.

I do not know how these things work, but I would talk to your case worker about it. Put out there in black and white, just tell them you are uncomfortable with being unable to defend the life of your foster child under their rules and would prefer to have the gun ready to go in the case of a home invasion.

Or just say "ok". Do they just drop in anytime they want to check, or call first?

As far as having it in lock box by your bed, I doubt they'll come by at bedtime. Or in car, I don't think they'll flag you over on the road. And if you're conceal carrying one during the day, nobody should see it, eh?

Used to shoot .22's with my foster kid right where we lived.

Disclaimer: This is not official advice. But it's what I'd do.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
misspelled as "advise". Can't stand that.
  • Like 1

I found this: http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/socwork/nrcfcpp/downloads/policy-issues/Firearms_in_Foster_Homes.pdf

Which states this:

Tennessee

All firearms, bows and arrows, hunting knives, and weapons of any variety must be securedand locked in a secure gun cabinet or other storage facility. Gun cabinets with glassenclosures or glass doors are not appropriate. Keys to the gun cabinet must be secured in aseparate location. Trigger locks must be utilized on all firearms. Ammunition must be storedand locked separately.

This information was last updated in 2005, but I suspect there has not been a change. I think as others have said as long as you are careful I'm not sure they would ever check.

I am all about gun safety and the safety of children. While I can understand that the state needs to make sure that a home is fit for a child, it would be my opinion that what I do with my guns in my house is none of the damn business. If you do not have sense enough to be a responsible parent without the government telling you how to do it, then you don't need to be a parent at all.

• Like 1
I am all about gun safety and the safety of children. While I can understand that the state needs to make sure that a home is fit for a child, it would be my opinion that what I do with my guns in my house is none of the damn business. If you do not have sense enough to be a responsible parent without the government telling you how to do it, then you don't need to be a parent at all.

I'm with you on this one brother, but unfortunately we do have parents that are not responsible with their guns and legislatures seem to think they can help things like this Three-Year-Old Boy Dies After Shooting Himself With His Cop Dad's Gun. So Devastating. to never happen again.

I regularly do D&N cases in both Sumner and Davidson counties. DCS is paranoid, let me emphasize this PARANOID, about firearms in a foster home. I've heard this brought up multiple times and never cease to be amazed. Our Juvenile Judge, in Sumner, is firearm friendly, but if DCS had its way, they would disarm EVERY family with whom they come into contact. Depending upon the agency you want to foster through, many of have a contract restriction on their foster parents prohibiting firearms in the home. Make sure you read your foster care agreement carefully.

I'm no legal eagle, but I would assume being in direct possession of your firearm would negate the need to have it locked up. Anyone with children in their home (foster or not) should have their weapons locked up and secured to where the child cannot access it, but if it's on your person that counts as "secured" to me or any reasonable person. In my house all my guns are locked up with the exception of my carry pistol, which is on me at all times; and when I'm sleeping, is within arms reach. I guess when you're sleeping is the only time that it would be considered not in direct possession, but as long as the child doesn't have access to your room I don't see the problem.

EDIT: I'd be willing to bet more young children (under 15) die from drowning in swimming pools than finding daddy's gun. Both are preventable by a responsible adult, but swimming pools aren't as "evil" I guess.

Edited by TMF 18B

I have a neighbor who has fostered for decades. They have had at least 10 kids come throgh there doors in the last 10 years. The generally foster then adopt later on.

But in speaking with the mother she did say that some kids are very, very troubled and that no amount of love or caring will change some children. These would be the ones I would worry about because no amount of safe keeping is going to prevent a person determined to do something.

She said they have tried working with the kids who have serious problems but in the end they surrender them back to the system to prevent problems with all the other kids in their home. She also said it is generally those kids who have been in the system for a while that have the biggest problems.

What I find sad is there are plenty of American children wanting and needing real homes yet couples look overeas to find a child to adopt. I know it has to do with the bureaucracy of the system but it should be easier to adopt an American child than a foreign born child.

I comend you on what you are doing. My wife and I have talked long and hard about doing the same but in the end we realize we can't.

Dolomite

I’ve never checked the Tennessee criminal code about it because I don’t have children in my house, but you might want to check that to see if there are any laws addressing access to firearms in the home.

Child endangerment laws…. If the kids do their hands on a gun.

Edited by DaveTN
I’ve never checked the Tennessee criminal code about it because I don’t have children in my house, but you might want to check that to see if there are any laws addressing access to firearms in the home.

Child endangerment laws…. If the kids do their hands on a gun.

I have kids and I never checked the law. I'm more concerned with keeping the weapons unaccessible to them because the negative outcome is far more severe than what the law could ever do to me. ANYONE with kids should keep their weapons secure and unaccessible to them and shouldn't need the law to tell them that.

I would think that all would be ok if you have them locked up while you are not in direct possession. Sure, you could tell them that you are a HCP holder, but given that you do not have to tell them that you take advantage of your other rights like free speech I do not see the purpose.

Guest nicemac
What I find sad is there are plenty of American children wanting and needing real homes yet couples look overeas to find a child to adopt. I know it has to do with the bureaucracy of the system but it should be easier to adopt an American child than a foreign born child.Dolomite

As the adoptive father of two children adopted from overseas, I will speak in to this.

First, there are not plenty of American children needing real homes. There are a lot of children that are in foster care, but many are not adoptable. There are millions of prospective families wanting to adopt domestically.

Adoption agencies have books full of pictures and bios of kids needing homes overseas. (It has been estimated that China alone has nearly two million orphans needing homes) Prospective parents thumb through until they find a child they are interested in and begin adoption proceedings.

In the states, there are books in adoption agencies full of pictures and bios of parents wanting to adopt a child. Parents make application and submit a sort of resumé that mothers wanting to give their child up thumb through and pick who they would like to have their child. They then initiate the adoption proceedings. The problem is that in between 50% and 60% of the domestic cases, the mother simply changes her mind once she sees the child (and she has up to a full year to make this decision). Or the father (who may have been unaware that any of this was even going on) comes on the scene and stops the whole process on the spot. By the time this happens, the new parents have a lot invested (emotionally and financially) in this child. To have this child ripped from their home is devastating. I personally know a couple that has had this happen not once, but twice.

Turn it around. Adopt from overseas. The instant the papers are signed in China, Russia, etc… the adoption is final and irrevocable. There are no parents showing up on your doorstep a year or two (or ten) down the road to rip your family apart. Many (not all) families adopt for very personal reasons that involve fertility issues, etc… This is a very emotional time. Having the baby you have come to love ripped from you in this manner can be overwhelming. Remember this scenario happens in over 50% of the domestic adoption cases.

These are the reasons so many people turn to overseas adoptions instead of domestic.

I'm no legal eagle, but I would assume being in direct possession of your firearm would negate the need to have it locked up. Anyone with children in their home (foster or not) should have their weapons locked up and secured to where the child cannot access it, but if it's on your person that counts as "secured" to me or any reasonable person. In my house all my guns are locked up with the exception of my carry pistol, which is on me at all times; and when I'm sleeping, is within arms reach. I guess when you're sleeping is the only time that it would be considered not in direct possession, but as long as the child doesn't have access to your room I don't see the problem.

EDIT: I'd be willing to bet more young children (under 15) die from drowning in swimming pools than finding daddy's gun. Both are preventable by a responsible adult, but swimming pools aren't as "evil" I guess.

We can't have this. The man has obviously used his head, injected some common sense into the situation, and has made a decision. Obviously you are not aware that it is now the government's job to do your thinking for you. It is their job to legislate both common sense and morality. Pretty soon, it will be their job to tell you when and where to take a $h!t.

(can you tell I am fed up with it?)

• 8 years later...
13 minutes ago, CC510 said:

I know that these posts are 8 years old. Is there any new information on 

They asked me if I own guns. 

I said yes.

They asked if I had a safe for them. 

I said yes.

That was the end of it for me. They never asked again or brought it up. Our house has been closed for a few years now. We adopted 3 out of foster care and had a bio child so we are done. LOL

• Like 3