.22 speed shooting? Or. 22 competition in general?

I'm really wanting to get started in some kind of competition. I have no idea what is out there but I'm mainly wanting to just compete in rinfire competitions. I've got a ruger mark III 22/45, bull barrel 10/22, 10/22 carbine, and a .22 conversion for my ar that's actually very reliable. Anything out there for me? I'm in Knoxville.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the only one i know of, like what you are asking about is in Lewisport, Ky but they are not a regular thing. the only gun you listed that work is the basic 10/22 carbine with 25 round or better mags. but of course if wanted too you could use the bull barrel.

the tswra range offers a small, for-fun bullseye match. It goes inside in winter so you gotta buy a membership but in the other 3/4 of the year it is outside and you can go for a small fee. They usually just do .22, at 25 yards. It is casual so they allow 2h shooting if you like. Bullseye is normally 1 handed shooting with 3 phases from very slow (1 shot per 60 seconds) to fast (1 shot per 2 seconds), the slower shooting uses smaller targets. This is pistol only, and a ruger mark is an excellent gun for this casual level of the sport. I use a mark 2 (the 22/45 version) with a wraparound grip & a cheap red dot sight; I can make about a 3 inch group at 25 yards for slow fire with it, and the gun can do better. One thing about this sport: you want to look into at least medium grade ammo, like the CCI brand, for consistent groups. It is a lot of shooting; each phase is 90 shots (3 goes at each of the 3 phases at 10 shots per phase). So a match that had a 22, a centerfire, and a 1911 round is 270 shots(!) which can take several hours. Again, the knoxville one is just the 90 shots of .22 most weeks, so it is not so grueling.

Come out to ORSA (Oak Ridge Sportsman Association) this Saturday, 28 January, and shoot steel challenge. You need to be at the range by 0930, and you should be finished by 1. It is great competition with a .22, and you can shoot both your pistol and either your 10/22 or your AR in the same match if you choose to. Bring about 200 rounds per gun to be safe. We shoot steel challenge on the 4th Saturday of each month. Go to ORSAAP.com for more information; also click on the Steel Challenge logo. It is a lot of fun and very good practice.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Come out to ORSA (Oak Ridge Sportsman Association) this Saturday, 28 January, and shoot steel challenge. You need to be at the range by 0930, and you should be finished by 1. It is great competition with a .22, and you can shoot both your pistol and either your 10/22 or your AR in the same match if you choose to. Bring about 200 rounds per gun to be safe. We shoot steel challenge on the 4th Saturday of each month. Go to ORSAAP.com for more information; also click on the Steel Challenge logo. It is a lot of fun and very good practice.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks for the help guys. Im definitely interested in the ORSA matches for sure. I might need more magazines for my 22/45 as I only have 2 mags, but I've got 3 25 round mags for my ar, and only 2 10 rounds for my 10/22. Do they have separate matches for pistols and rifles?

Edited by Mdunntn
the tswra range offers a small, for-fun bullseye match. It goes inside in winter so you gotta buy a membership but in the other 3/4 of the year it is outside and you can go for a small fee. They usually just do .22, at 25 yards. It is casual so they allow 2h shooting if you like. Bullseye is normally 1 handed shooting with 3 phases from very slow (1 shot per 60 seconds) to fast (1 shot per 2 seconds), the slower shooting uses smaller targets. This is pistol only, and a ruger mark is an excellent gun for this casual level of the sport. I use a mark 2 (the 22/45 version) with a wraparound grip & a cheap red dot sight; I can make about a 3 inch group at 25 yards for slow fire with it, and the gun can do better. One thing about this sport: you want to look into at least medium grade ammo, like the CCI brand, for consistent groups. It is a lot of shooting; each phase is 90 shots (3 goes at each of the 3 phases at 10 shots per phase). So a match that had a 22, a centerfire, and a 1911 round is 270 shots(!) which can take several hours. Again, the knoxville one is just the 90 shots of .22 most weeks, so it is not so grueling.

I was trying to look up some info on this but I couldn't find any?