Anti-gun protest at Starbucks on Valentine's Day

An anti-gun group is planning a nationwide boycott of Starbucks on Valentine's Day. This is good news for a couple of reasons. One, it means on that one day the store will be absent the unbathed hippies that normally frequent the store. And two, it gives us a great reason to visit the store and put our best face on in a public situation. I don't care much for Starbucks coffee but you can bet your butt I will stop by for a cup on Feb 14 to show my support for the company's refusal to kowtow to a smelly bunch of radicals. I think I will also open carry that day, which I also normally don't do.

Story here

Guest jackdm3

I'll go for something non-coffee. Won't OC and I'll tell 'em why I came, but I won't be lollygagging. I was relieved when Schultz "allowed/didn't prohibit" carry a while back, much to the horror of the stinkers. Time to repay.

Guest dubaholic2

i will also be stopping into starbucks, which i never do, because i believe we need to confirm that we appreciate their stance on this most important issue.

• Administrator

I have zero intent to open carry. I never do so this day won't be any different. My firearm is not a political statement, it is a self-defense tool. If I were a carpenter I wouldn't walk into Starbucks carrying a nail-gun to thank them for not banning nail-guns.

To each their own, but I'd seriously consider what message you are sending and what the reactions might be if you decide to open carry. If you spook the sheep, there could easily be corporate-wide backlash.

David's right, open carry could send the wrong idea to an already intellectually challenged group of peons, BUT I was just telling the wife we may grab a cup of Joe on V/day [and i HATE coffee] I won't open carry but I think I'll wear my Midway USA hat & my favorite T shirt.

chacpa3.jpg

I never OC, and I don't drink coffee. However, if I pass a Starbucks on that day, I will stop in and buy something. I think it would be great for this one day boycott to not even show on their bottom line for that day.

I think it would be even cooler if every gun owner bought a cup of coffee, and it showed a peak in monthly profits!!!:rolleyes:

I, too, will have to stop in to Starbucks on Valentine's Day.

I will ask for the manager, tell him that I never go to Starbucks, and that I am supporting them on that particular day because I carry and I appreciate their stand on the matter.

If the managers of all their locations report back to HQ that there was a huge turnout by gun owners showing their appreciation, it could have an impact on Starbucks, and perhaps, if an actual journalist (are there any of those left?) reported on it, at other chain businesses.

Count me as a +1 on this as well. I'll stop and buy something as well. But if all goes as hoped and we all go in, the managers my be swamped by requests for a visit. As a back-up, visit, buy something, and email Starbucks and express your appreciation in a cordial and meaningful way.

I hope everyone here that has said they will be at Starbucks on Feb. 14 actually show up. Make sure you post this on Facebook, tweet it, or whatever social media you use and let all your pro-gun friends know to be there. We need to show Starbucks that there are enough of us out there that pay attention that it actually does affect their bottom line having us on their side. I'll be at the Bellevue Starbucks early that morning. Hope to see some of you there as well.

I think just because Starbucks has not banned weapons doesn't mean that if we scare off the few customers that will be there that day with a pistol on our hips that they won't. I would say Starbucks is not "pro-gun", but more of a don't rock the boat in this crappy economy kind of company. If we open carry it might send stories to corperate that it might just be worth rocking the boat in any economy. Let's keep it in our pants people.

Following the link I see that the protest is not a 1 day protest. It starts Feb. 14th and continues until Starbucks bans guns and asault weapons in their stores (I know sounds like a joke right?)

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/starbucks-pro-gun-policy-prompts-gun-victims-advocate-group-to-launch-nationwide-boycott-on-valentines-day-2012-137890863.html

Currently, Starbucks allows guns and assault weapons to be openly carried in its stores (in 43 states) and concealed and carried in its stores (in 49 states)

Following a link to the boycott site: http://gunvictimsaction.org/starbucks-boycott/

I find this gem:

Starbucks thinks it is okay for people to carry this gun into their stores:

glock-19.jpgGlock 9mm Semi-Automatic Pistol, the gun used by the Tucson Murderer. It shot 31 bullets in 15 seconds, killed 6, and injured 14.

Glock 19s must be like Mad Max going all crazy and crap.

My point is we might need to be prepared to buy more than one cup of coffee to have any impact here.

Edited by bigwakes
I think just because Starbucks has not banned weapons doesn't mean that if we scare off the few customers that will be there that day with a pistol on our hips that they won't. I would say Starbucks is not "pro-gun", but more of a don't rock the boat in this crappy economy kind of company. If we open carry it might send stories to corperate that it might just be worth rocking the boat in any economy. Let's keep it in our pants people.

The reason this is happening is because someone OC in a SB sometime back. Customer(s) complained and SB responded with a statement that said their stores will follow the carry laws in accordance with the store's area.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/36648-starbucks-response.html

They do not care if people OC in their stores. They do not care about one scared customer. All they care about is money from the masses.