Just got worn out about the 92fs

Guest lostpass

I think I have met that fella except he was telling me what a piece of crap those late 90s and early 2000s Dodges with Cummins engines were. Couple of my friends were smiling; three of us there drove them but never let on. I noticed the photo of the Brigidier, my taurus 917 is a copy. Hadn't known that.

+1000 to the prior posts, especially Jonnin about the weight. My 92FS (and Taurus PT92) are range guns. That big heavy steel frame soaks up the felt recoil, especially with some nice soft Hogues. It's the only handgun model I own that my wife likes to shoot that's not a .22LR.

The differences between the 92FS and the M9 are indeed very minor.

The backstrap is slightly different (or at least used to be)

There are some different markings between the two (including a warning to read the manual on 92FS that's absent on M9)

I think the rear sight is different (3 dot vs. half-moon or "dot the i". I can't recall what's on the M9.)

The front section of the frame (the dust cover?) on the M9 is straight and slightly angled on the 92FS.

That's all that I can recall. I pretty much have to put them side by side to notice any differences.

While we're on it, why is that part of the frame called a dust cover? It's not like the little flip open "door" dust cover on an AR platform. Does anyone know why they would be different between the two models?

the sights on mine are the 2 dot system. It is an older model, but not a military gun; probably bought around 1990? newer ones are 3-dot. So the type of sights may be either a date of production thing, a buyer's choice, or something else.

Guest Lester Weevils

I want an inox single stack cheetah. So far, I don't want one bad enough to pay what they cost new, and they seem awfully rare used, and typically kinda expensive used as well.

While we're on it, why is that part of the frame called a dust cover? It's not like the little flip open "door" dust cover on an AR platform. Does anyone know why they would be different between the two models?
The early models of the 92FS imported from Italy had straight dust covers and no warning placard. Later American models included the slanted dust cover and the "If you shoot me, you'll die" billboard. As to why it's called the "dust cover," you got me there. Same reason that section of the frame on a 1911 is called a dust cover, I guess, but seems like the only thing it's protecting from dust is the recoil spring and guide rod, which I would think aren't all that affected by some dust.

Mac

I like the looks of these, wish they would release THIS frame as a 9mm.
The 92 Compact L or M frame is only slightly larger than the 8X .380 frames. Single stack, barrel is basically flush with the slide, and noticeably lighter than the full size 92FS or M9's. If you haven't felt one, you really should check them out, although they are anything but plentiful.

Mac

Riggs and McClain were two great examples of 92FS users, but I bought my first one because of Leon. Even though I don't have any of my 92's anymore, I still have the SGS style compensators The Professional used in case I get another one.

Mac

Guest jackdm3

I bought the "G" for greater firepower, but I shot Mac's (OS's) 9 a little while back, and I'm far better with it long-range.

Edited by jackdm3
The differences between the 92FS and the M9 are indeed very minor.

[/b]I think the rear sight is different (3 dot vs. half-moon or "dot the i". I can't recall what's on the M9.)

QUOTE]

Early military M-9s have "snowman" dot over dot sights. Some of the later ones have three dot sights, along with plastic guide rods and triggers although not sure if those always go together. Only have a couple three dots in my unit's arms room, rest are snowman.

I own a civilian M-9 marked as M-9 and it's rear sight has dots on the sides that are factory blacked out and the snowman center dot. :)

Larry Vickers described the M-9 as "Reliable, not durable."

Some people aren't happy unless they're tearing down someone else's taste in <insert item of personal taste here>. Whether it's books, music, cars, guns, movies, whatever. They just can't stand the idea that someone else is happy with what they have if it isn't what they think is The Perfection They Love.

I bought my 925fs about a year ago. I love it, and use it as a range gun and a home defense gun. I have put exactly 2,608 round thru it with never a failure of any kind. It is a big, all metal battle pistol, and does that job very well. It is not a carry weapon. It's size gives a long sight radius, and it remains the handgun that I shoot best with. I used several over the years in the Army, and never had any of those fail either. I can think of nothing that I would trade my 92 for.

Thing is a Beretta is a fantastic weapon, and so is a Glock, a sig, a Ruger, etc. It's a matter of personal choice.

... While I'll never use one for a carry pistol, I enjoy shooting them, as they have been accurate and dependable pistols.

I like mine well enough that I bought it the factory walnut grips.

92fs.jpg

Think I'll get a metal guide rod for it ... the plastic one works fine, but bugs me having it in there with an other-wise all metal gun.

- OS

Guest lostpass
I like mine well enough that I bought it the factory walnut grips.

92fs.jpg

Think I'll get a metal guide rod for it ... the plastic one works fine, but bugs me having it in there with an other-wise all metal gun.

- OS

Those grips look really good. Does it make the gun significantly fatter?

- OS

OS,

Does yours have the poly/metal trigger as well?

The one I gave to my dad, I had already replaced the plastic guide rod and it wasn't untili was installing the Wolff trigger spring that I noticed the top half of the trigger was plastic. I want to know when they started doin this, I know it's to cut weight and costs, but nothing beats metal on a gun. I will be replacing the trigger once I get my hands on the 92 again. Let me know too if you need the metal guide rod, I'll be getting a couple for the build I'll be doing. The left over ones will be of little use to me, this build will not be happening for another month or so though.

Guest lostpass
Personally, once he started into that, I would have brought up the Phoenix just to make him bleed from the ears. Meh, he was a douche. Kudos to you for not dotting his eye and teaching him a lesson in the fine art of "ST-FU"

BTW, did he bring up how someone like Jet Li could just grab your weapon and field strip it before you could pull the trigger? I love that argument.

I had to look up the slide grab thing. That's some real ninja stuff right there:rolleyes:. I'd just hand Jet some hoppes and patches and tell him to get busy.

Those grips look really good. Does it make the gun significantly fatter?

Just a tad, yes. Could certainly feel diff when I first put them on. As you know, it's already a fat sucker to begin with. I'm surprised I find it comfy (but I do), as I don't have very large hands, actually think they're smaller than average for a guy 6'2".

Got 'em about 15 clams cheaper from Sportman's Guide about 4 months ago.

OS, Does yours have the poly/metal trigger as well? ...

Yeah, trigger, safety levers, mag release are all polymer coated steel, or at least steel alloy. Lotsa folks think they're pure plastic, but a fairly strong magnet proves otherwise. The frame including backstrap and trigger guard is either aluminum or non metallic steel alloy. (edit: looked it up, it's aluminum)

The only thing that for sure seems to be pure plastic is the guide rod and possibly the lanyard attachment, though it's probably aluminum too.

Gun is recent Italian manufacture, 2009.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest lostpass
Just a tad, yes. Could certainly feel diff when I first put them on. As you know, it's already a fat sucker to begin with. I'm surprised I find it comfy (but I do), as I don't have very large hands, actually think they're smaller than average for a guy 6'2".

Got 'em about 15 clams cheaper from Sportman's Guide about 4 months ago.

- OS

When I tried to make my own it was a lot fatter. And you're right it is a pretty fat grip already. It feels good to me though, don't know if I have large or small hands. I could go a bit fatter with the grip I am sure. Really hoping to find some nice esmerelda grips but those things sell pretty fast.

When I tried to make my own it was a lot fatter. And you're right it is a pretty fat grip already. It feels good to me though, don't know if I have large or small hands. I could go a bit fatter with the grip I am sure. Really hoping to find some nice esmerelda grips but those things sell pretty fast.

With the 92FS, two 30 round mags, a number of extra GI contract mags, and the matching Sub2000, I'll take on Mr. Li.

- OS

Guest Skeeter

I lived in Huntsville Al when the Army was doing the trial at Red stone Arsenal to replace the 1911.

Being a relatively small community you bump into people with similar interest.

Followed the trials with interest and the Sig p226 Won Hands Down in all the categories.

Saw a Major on the Evaluation Team after Beretta was Awarded the Winning Contract and asked how could this be?

Rebuttal was The Replacement Magazines were like $1.39 cheaper than Sig and that added up to a large amount of savings.

My Butt ( dependent upon who you speak to ) is Worth More Than $1.39.

Been buying Sig's scene Smith&Wesson went to 3 digits in their Model Number.

* got a 92 stashed as well;)