I need a new belt. Suggestions?

I've been using a 5.11 "leather" belt for about a year now. Two problems: The color started wearing off of it within the first month. Next problem: I've lost 3" off my waist since mid-December and it will no longer tighten up enough to hold up my pants and gun.

So, I need a new belt. It needs to be black and preferably leather (I do occasionally wear a polo shirt and tuck those in). It also needs to be affordable (no more than $40-$50 MAX).

Recommendations? I'd buy another 5.11 in a smaller size, but I was a bit disappointed in the overall quality.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jcj,

As an alternative to a new belt, you might consider finding a good cobbler and ask him to cut the belt to fit you and re-dye it for you. This is something that should fall within your budget, that is provided you like the belt you have right now. I've also have a black faux lizard skin Blackhawk dress belt that I bought from eBay that has stiffeners in it that works well for me. It was about $40 shipped if I recall.

Beltman belts are great. I have had one for 5 years and have worn it every day. It still looks good and is a great gun belt.

Yep, Beltman is the way to go. Spend a couple more bucks and get a quality belt that'll last you years.

I was a bit disappointed in the overall quality.

My BELTMAN doesn’t show any wear after about three years, and makes a great gun belt. But they are $90. I need one in black and have looked around for something of that quality at a lower price, but haven’t found anything close yet.

Wrangler makes a belt (WallyWorld or Tractor Supply) for less--around $18-$23. It's 1 1/4" h by 3/16" thick and reversible so you get a dark brown and a black in one belt with a pewter looking buckle. Not slamming other makers but it is a sturdy work belt and I can buy a lot of them for what they charge.

This is a very heavy duty belt that also comes in brown....

Amish Belts - Black

I have a couple and don't see them wearing out anytime soon.

I ordered one of these. Cheap and look like reasonable quality stuff. I've looked at Beltman belts before, but I don't really want to get one right now because I'm in the middle of losing a substantial amount of weight (hopefully!) For $28 including shipping I won't be too upset if it only fits for a few months. I do plan on getting a Beltman belt when I get down to a healthy weight. ;)

This is a very heavy duty belt that also comes in brown....

Amish Belts - Black

I have a couple and don't see them wearing out anytime soon.

This is my recommendation too. I have both black and brown. Price is right and they do a great job. Make sure to measure your waist and order from that measurement. Most of our pants are vanity sized and not the actual waist size. These belts are measured in inches not pant size. Don't forget to allow an extra inch or two for the gun as well if going IWB. Also these are made in America!

I use belts I buy at the Dickies outlet (I go to the one in the blue mall in Sevierville - if it is still there, I heard the blue mall changed owners.) The kind I use are leather and have two 'tines' in the buckle and two rows of holes in the belt. I have seen similar ones at Walmart but they are not the same - they are more 'flimsy' than the ones I get at the actual Dickies outlet. They cost something like $10 or $12 a piece. I have one on, now, that I have been wearing virtually every day for about a year and a half. When I belt carry, it is OWB and this is the belt I use. I might have to have a new one in the next, few months because it will eventually 'break in' and might start to sag (will still work fine as a regular belt but might not hold my gun up as well.) Luckily, the last time I went up there I bought two or three extras.

One of these days I want to make a leather belt for carry. I plan to make it a 'reinforced' (as in at least two layers of leather in the 'load bearing' areas) but these Dickies belts work fine, for now.

When I ordered my Crossbreed Supertuck holster I went ahead and got one of their gun belts too. No complaints. The only other belt I wear is a Wilderness Instructor.

If you've got the cheddar to burn I've never heard a single bad thing about Beltman but the above are cheaper and I'm happy so far with both.