Anybody Wear White's Boots?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been wanting a pair since I began forestry 10 years ago. I just bought a pair today. Just wondering if anyone else out there wears them.

I always wanted a pair myself; but was too stingy to fork over the cash for them. I cant wait to hear "progress reports" once ya break em in. I think they are probably the best forestry, logging type boots out there. As close as i ever came to them were Red Wing lineman's boots. They were heavy, but good boots. My guess is that they aint close to bein in the same league with the White's boots. Let us know how they are workin out.

leroy

I hear ya Leroy. They are pricey for sure. But I figured I have probably spent $1600 - $2000 on boots in the last 8 years alone, while a coworker of mine has had the same pair of whites the whole time. And just now going to send them back to be rebuilt.

I do think the break in period is going to be rough ;)

Never heard of them until now. Just looked 'em up. I'd say they're the finest boots ever made...or they sure better be.

For Sure! I got them cheaper than website price, $335, still very high! But I guess if you look at high end cowboy boots and such, they all start at $250 and up.

Guest Lester Weevils

Those look great. Never heard of em. I try to buy USA footwear but am not active enough to wear out boots except every blue moon.

What model did you get?

The prices are high but dunno if they are outrageously crazy for a USA boot? My old Made in USA Dunham hikers (maybe Dunham does not sell made in USA boots anymore) and also the Thorogood work boots both seemed kinda expensive. Can't remember the price. I might be remembering it too high. Am remembering in the $300 ballpark but maybe they didn't really cost near that much.

Those look great. Never heard of em. I try to buy USA footwear but am not active enough to wear out boots except every blue moon.

What model did you get?

The prices are high but dunno if they are outrageously crazy for a USA boot? My old Made in USA Dunham hikers (maybe Dunham does not sell made in USA boots anymore) and also the Thorogood work boots both seemed kinda expensive. Can't remember the price. I might be remembering it too high. Am remembering in the $300 ballpark but maybe they didn't really cost near that much.

I bought the Lace-to-toe Smokejumper.

4a53e28c.jpg

I don't think it's really outrageous for what you get. It's more of an investment. Once you do wear them out you can send them back and have them rebuilt to like-new condition for about $180.

They are inline with other American made hand crafted boots. Also look up Drew's, Nicks, Wesco. They all make great boots

I am very interested in hearing about how you like them and how long they last as well. In my line of work I go through 2 pair of boots a year (no matter what brand I try or how much they cost). I would have no problem paying that for them if they lasted at least a year and a half, it would actually be cheaper.

I am very interested in hearing about how you like them and how long they last as well. In my line of work I go through 2 pair of boots a year (no matter what brand I try or how much they cost). I would have no problem paying that for them if they lasted at least a year and a half, it would actually be cheaper.

Swim,

I'll keep you posted. What line of work are you in?

I have known a few people to own these, some work outdoors others indoors on concrete. No one has ever regretted buying them. They have a leather shank and arch that molds to your foot during break in period. They have versions with less aggressive sole tread if that's not needed. If you work around chemicals or abrasives this can shorten the life of the boots greatly, but with proper care should still outlast any other boot by 2x.

On the railroad White's is one of the boots we can order. I have never had a pair myself but, all the guys who wear them, love em. They say they are pretty tough to break in but after that they are Great because you send in an exact tracing and measurements of your foot and they fit perfect.

On the railroad White's is one of the boots we can order. I have never had a pair myself but, all the guys who wear them, love em. They say they are pretty tough to break in but after that they are Great because you send in an exact tracing and measurements of your foot and they fit perfect.

Ye they are popular with railroad workers. Tough environment. I did not get custom fit. I just bought them off the shelf. But they still fit better in the first 10 mins than any boot I had ever put on.

I wore them around the house last night. Fit great, very stiff. When I worked on Wildland Fires in Colorado in 2003 I often heard the phrase "White Bite" referring to the hurt they put on your feet during break-in period.

Those are great boots. Well worth the money. I'm on Hoffman's at the moment but I spend more time climbing then felling. I need dual steel shanks. Wesco's are good too.

I have seen many Chinese boots for over $200. I ain't paying that for them. I'd rather spend more to support handmade American products!

Guest Lester Weevils
I bought the Lace-to-toe Smokejumper.

4a53e28c.jpg

I don't think it's really outrageous for what you get. It's more of an investment. Once you do wear them out you can send them back and have them rebuilt to like-new condition for about $180.

They are inline with other American made hand crafted boots. Also look up Drew's, Nicks, Wesco. They all make great boots

Hi Lumber_Jack

Those look great. I like the knobby sole. Looking at the Whites website, many of the boot models don't give an option for the knobby sole.

I got the Thorogood boots a couple years ago because the Dunhams were not worn out yet, but wanted to get a spare set while I had the money. To ward off the possibility of being short on cash whenever the Dunhams finally need replacement.

Been happy with the Thorogood boots except wish the sole had been knobbier. On a slope in real dry weather, if rocky dirt is a little loose and wants to roll under the foot-- The Thorogood boots don't grip good enough and it is too easy to slip. They seem fine in mud or flat surfaces. Just dry dirt on a slope can be a problem.

Another dumb curiosity question since you probably spend more time in woods in a year, than I spend in the woods in a decade--

The old Dunham hikers do not have a notch between the front sole and heel. The sole is knobby rubber all the way from front to back. Like a tennis shoe but knobbier.

My Thorogoods have a conventional heel, similar to your Whites in the picture. Maybe am getting even clumsier in old age-- The heel can occasionally catch on a vine runner or little root and want to trip me up.

In your woods walking, does that ever happen to you? Or is it just old age clumsy? Just curious if people who spend a lot of time in woods notice a heel tripping em up on vines and roots? If some people go for a flat no-heel sole specifically because of that problem?

Hi Lumber_Jack

Those look great. I like the knobby sole. Looking at the Whites website, many of the boot models don't give an option for the knobby sole.

I got the Thorogood boots a couple years ago because the Dunhams were not worn out yet, but wanted to get a spare set while I had the money. To ward off the possibility of being short on cash whenever the Dunhams finally need replacement.

Been happy with the Thorogood boots except wish the sole had been knobbier. On a slope in real dry weather, if rocky dirt is a little loose and wants to roll under the foot-- The Thorogood boots don't grip good enough and it is too easy to slip. They seem fine in mud or flat surfaces. Just dry dirt on a slope can be a problem.

Another dumb curiosity question since you probably spend more time in woods in a year, than I spend in the woods in a decade--

The old Dunham hikers do not have a notch between the front sole and heel. The sole is knobby rubber all the way from front to back. Like a tennis shoe but knobbier.

My Thorogoods have a conventional heel, similar to your Whites in the picture. Maybe am getting even clumsier in old age-- The heel can occasionally catch on a vine runner or little root and want to trip me up.

In your woods walking, does that ever happen to you? Or is it just old age clumsy? Just curious if people who spend a lot of time in woods notice a heel tripping em up on vines and roots? If some people go for a flat no-heel sole specifically because of that problem?

Well I find that it's a couple of things that contribute to falling or not. The first being after countless hours of bush whacking and almost falls, you build strength in the core muscles that help you keep your balance as well as step high to avoid objects that might trip you.

I like the high heel because it is better for really steep slopes. It allows you to dig in and get a good foothold. The foot angle also takes stress of your mid foot. My feet feel better after a long day of high heel boots than flat.

Now with that said, there are many people I have come across or work with that just can't wear a boot with a heel. wearing a boot with a heel can actually be painful until your feet adjust, many people just give up before that happens. The tendons in your arch get tight when you wear flat shoes (tennis shoe, hiking boots), then you put on a pair of high heel boots and the tendons get stretched and your feet hurt. just like any bother muscle, with time, they stretch and the pain stops. Usually takes a couple weeks of progressively longer time with the boots on.

I would say most of your tripping is do to boot weight, making it slightly more difficult to step high, and possibly age.

With all that BS said, I must confess, I fall a lot. Regardless of footwear, if im not on a groomed hiking trail, I'll be on my ass before the day is done.

Swim,

I'll keep you posted. What line of work are you in?

I have known a few people to own these, some work outdoors others indoors on concrete. No one has ever regretted buying them. They have a leather shank and arch that molds to your foot during break in period. They have versions with less aggressive sole tread if that's not needed. If you work around chemicals or abrasives this can shorten the life of the boots greatly, but with proper care should still outlast any other boot by 2x.

I am in the landscaping field.

During the spring, summer, and fall I will spend 5 days a week cutting lawns. I have to have waterproof boots or my feet will get every morning from the dew or rain.

On the other 2 days I do landscaping work.

In the winter I do allot of skid steer and backhoe work, always in the mud.

I am getting older but until a few years ago I did allot of tree work as well and even sold firewood in the winters.

Boots just don't last long for me.

Edited by swim615
I am in the landscaping field.

During the spring, summer, and fall I will spend 5 days a week cutting lawns. I have to have waterproof boots or my feet will get every morning from the dew or rain.

On the other 2 days I do landscaping work.

In the winter I do allot of skid steer and backhoe work, always in the mud.

I am getting older but until a few years ago I did allot of tree work as well and even sold firewood in the winters.

Boots just don't last long for me.

Mud and water are the killers of leather boots. If you take the time to clean, dry, and oil your boots every night or 2, they would last longer. However that's pretty impractical, especially when that's the last thing you wanna do when you get off work.

Mud and water are the killers of leather boots. If you take the time to clean, dry, and oil your boots every night or 2, they would last longer. However that's pretty impractical, especially when that's the last thing you wanna do when you get off work.

No thanks I had all the boot cleaning and polishing I can take in one life time while I was in the Army. lol

Guest Lester Weevils
Well I find that it's a couple of things that contribute to falling or not. The first being after countless hours of bush whacking and almost falls, you build strength in the core muscles that help you keep your balance as well as step high to avoid objects that might trip you.

I like the high heel because it is better for really steep slopes. It allows you to dig in and get a good foothold. The foot angle also takes stress of your mid foot. My feet feel better after a long day of high heel boots than flat.

Now with that said, there are many people I have come across or work with that just can't wear a boot with a heel. wearing a boot with a heel can actually be painful until your feet adjust, many people just give up before that happens. The tendons in your arch get tight when you wear flat shoes (tennis shoe, hiking boots), then you put on a pair of high heel boots and the tendons get stretched and your feet hurt. just like any bother muscle, with time, they stretch and the pain stops. Usually takes a couple weeks of progressively longer time with the boots on.

I would say most of your tripping is do to boot weight, making it slightly more difficult to step high, and possibly age.

With all that BS said, I must confess, I fall a lot. Regardless of footwear, if im not on a groomed hiking trail, I'll be on my ass before the day is done.

Thanks for the good ideas, Lumber_Jack.

• 2 months later...
My boots are about gone again and I am looking for new ones.

How Are your Whites doing? Should I invest in a pair or look at other brands?

They are truly awesome. They took a while to breakin due to the heavy leather. But I wouldn't trade them now for anything. The problem I have the most is I often tie them too tight and my foot goes numb. But that speaks to how well they fit and are designed. Normally with mass produced boots I have to wear really thick socks or ankle supports and then still can't get them tight enough.

I'll say this I've never heard anyone be disappointed with them after the 2-3 week break-in period

My Dad bought a pair of their Lineman boots for motorcycle riding. He said the break-in was a bit brutal, but now he wears them all day, every day.

He ended up taking them to a shoe repair store and had them install a heavy-duty zipper so he didn't have to mess with the laces every day. He says that he'll re-tighten the laces about one a week now.