Had fun this past weekend. Introduced someone new to shooting.

• Administrator

My wife and I took my brother-in-law to the range this weekend and introduced him to the fun world of shooting. It was not only his first time at the range but his first time shooting a gun of any sort. :)

I gave him the basic primer on firearm safety at our house along with a review of the handguns that we would be shooting that day: Springfield XD Tactical 9mm, HK P2000 .40SW and the Wilson Combat 1911 .45ACP. At the range, we worked through them in that order but he spent the most time with the XD 9mm. It seems that gun is quickly becoming a favorite with the folks that I have let shoot it, but my wife is steadily aquiring a taste for the Wilson Combat too.

Anyway, just a few pictures -- no faces since I didn't ask permission before posting these.

PS: He had a blast. :D

279018695_8dW4z-M.jpg

279019007_CnjKr-M.jpg

And my wife caught this shot with muzzle flash evident...

279018942_XdbBP-M.jpg

He flinched a little during that shot. Overcoming the instinctive reaction to flinch is something that just comes with time and exposure to the sport. He actually did great for his first session out. :)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GT_Rat

Cool deal. My brother and I went to OT yesterday and shot my dad's old .22. We also rented the un-silenced HK MP-5 and put 3 boxes of ammo through it. That was a good time. :)

• Administrator

I thought about you while we were shooting. Once again it was a spur of the moment decision to go. I think we may have to schedule a get together sometime soon so that a few of us can go down there and punch holes in paper. :up:

Excellent. I can tell by the shoot-n-sees you used that he did well. The flinch was pretty obvious, but to be expected for a first timer. (I think there is a hole in the range ceiling from my first flinch...)

Sounds like you done good.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Good stuff. My brother has expressed interest in learning to shoot and picking up a handgun- I think becoming a father has stirred some latent feelings of responsibility. One of these days I'll have to get him out to the range and let him put some rounds through my XD. I wish I had a little better variety for him to shoot, though- I dunno if I want his first handgun experience to be with a .40. Wish I had a .22 pistol he could learn the fundamentals on.

• Administrator
Is that you in the red shirt?Your a young whippersnapper :D

That's me... and I appreciate the comments about looking young. I don't get that sort of comment much anymore. :koolaid:

Actually my brother in law is about 6'4" tall and I stand about 5'9" ... so he sort of towers over me at almost exactly half my age. :(

Guest Big Sexy Glock

Sounds like you all had a good time.

It really is fun and exciting when you get the oppurtunity to introduce someone to shooting.

Just over a month or so ago I had the chance to take my wife shooting for her first time at Coal Creek here in Knoxville.

Before that day she had only shot a .22 rifle a couple times.

By days end, we had rented about a dozen different firearms and now she's as hooked as I ever thought about being.

I love it. It gives us both something to do and enjoy together.