Guest 1911Girl

Guest 1911Girl

A lot of females do not like carrying or shooting a .45 why is that? I love a 1911 as long as it is in .45, I am currently looking to buy one to replace another pistol my husband decided was his now.

Edited by 1911Girl
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 1911Girl

DO you know where I can get a good trade in price on a used gun?

***Edited by PackinMama. This post too closely resembled a for sale thread. Unless you are a TGO Benefactor, you are prohibited from trying to sell anything on this forum.***

Edited by PackinMama
See above.
Guest Miracle

I think it's the stigma of being one of the larger handgun rounds. Maybe they're scared of it? I k ow my wife is deathly afraid of my carry gun. She has yet to, and I doubt she ever will, shoot it.

My wife learned to shoot on an XD45. I took her to the range on one of our first dates 5 years ago. Had to see how she took to it. She loved it and has since assumed control of my Sig P226 and P6 because of the ease of use and smooth trigger pulls. The only handgun I have she won't shoot is my .454 Casull and I have a few rifles she won't touch anymore. My wife is only 5'1", so I don't see why any woman despite stature can't get comfortable shooting larger calibers. I say pick one you like and go with it. My wife's other favorite rnge gun is my single action army .30 cal, she likes all the noise and minimum recoil. She says it's louder than my .454 without all the kick.

Guest Scramasax

The thing abouta 1911. It is the most compact and easy to shoot pistol in its caliber class. When I was working in a gun store years ago a peitite lady walked in and said " I want a Colt.45". She was determined to carry one and was not intimidated. When I was putting her TNDL info 0n the 4473 I noticed her weight was listed at 98lbs. Our gunsmith installed a short trigger, slim grips, and a Harts recoil reducer guide rod. This was years before civilian carry, so I called a friend in the sherrifs dept. who shot 1911s and got them together for her training. She listened,learned and practiced for a couple of weeks until she felt good with the pistol. About 5 months after that she shot and killed a 230lb. rapist that had been stalking her. He ambushed her at her home, a small farm, when she was getting out of her car.

BTW: This was before any of the polymer pistols were imported into the US. Not that she would have been able to use one the gripframes would have been too large.

Just wanted to relate what I consider an iconic story.

Cheers,

ts

You don't say if you are buying the 1911 to carry or not, but if you are, just make sure that you practice, practice, practice disengaging the external safety as you acquire the target, BEFORE you carry it for SD. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you will remember to do it under the stress of an attack from a determined violent criminal.

Sweeping the safety off MUST be second nature if you're going to carry a 1911 condition one, which is how it is designed to be carried.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

A lot of females do not like carrying or shooting a .45 why is that? I love a 1911 as long as it is in .45, I am currently looking to buy one to replace another pistol my husband decided was his now.

A lot of men also do not care to carry a 1911 sized pistol.  Its big and heavy with a capacity that is only rivaled by a revolver in terms of "less is more".   They often cost too much to bang up with daily carry as well, often 2x a typical carry gun if you don't go for the bargain models.  

I would think a woman would have the same complaints as a man: its big, heavy, lowcap for carry.  As for shooing, most shooters / range time, I could not say.  My only guess there is that a 2-3 pound gun gets heavy after a while esp for a woman who lacks upper body strength, or perhaps the large grips vs small hands?   They are very pleasent to shoot apart from those 2 issues.   Could also be perceptions --- a lot of folks think a 45 has to have a lot of recoil because its so much bigger. And at least one woman I shoot with refuses to shoot bigger guns becasuse she dislikes very loud guns (and its an indoor range so that means anything more potent than a 9mm usually --- and she will go home if somone has a 44 or AR in there).

Lots of other women and men do carry them.   And there are a ton of modern 1911ish guns that are excellent carry pistols -- colt defender, para, and tons more, some in other calibers and some full 45s.    I say carry what you will --- I don't care what other people carry, or how, etc if it works for them.   But you asked and those are the reasons most cited against a 1911.

Edited by Jonnin

I had a lady in class who was from Brazil. She had never touched any handgun prior to class. When we started she was scared of the .22 pistol. When it came time to qualify she used one of my 1911s and did VERY well. Once they get past the "big scary gun" block and actually shoot it they find out why the 1911 is so loved.

Guest copperhead_1911

I have noticed that with friends of ours. My wife also does not really like my 1911 colt commander. She can handle it if need be, but he has smaller hands and also a broken wrist before. She handles her springfiled 9mm pretty good and her beretta px4 9mm so I am happy with that. Be great if we both carried the same round though

• 7 months later...