Employee Safe Commute (Parking Lot) Campaign

Just wondering...

How many of you have had enough of this #### yet to do something about it at the polls? Any chance you all will remember it come election time?

There should be a lot of employee turnover on Tennessee's capitol hill after this. Doubt there will be, though. The attention span of the voting public isn't long enough to allow them to hold a grudge.

David, you're right about the attention span. The general public has short memories. I'm 68 yrs

of age, and I've seen this happen time & again. Memories get short, hot topic comes along to

overshadow the subject, intentionally or otherwise. It happens. I'm like an old elephant, I don't forget.

The 2nd Amend. is near & dear to me. Problem is, who voted for & who against? Secrecy, closed

doors BS. Some of the butt holes have little or no opposition.

My rant has started, I'm done.......

An analysis of grass-roots activities including a take on Safe Commute -

http://bluecollarmus...-lose-scenario/

Avast claims to have blocked a trojan when I hit this link.

Norton Security Suite (Comcast package) & Spybot are (still) fine with it. All up to date here. Checked today's history file. Nothing blocked except Google Earth update (I set it that way).

Edited by R_Bert

An analysis of grass-roots activities including a take on Safe Commute -

http://bluecollarmus...-lose-scenario/

No sympathy. If they can't take the heat, they should stay out of the kitchen. Constituents vote for legislators, not corporations. There is no corporate vote. If their widdle feeeeeelings are getting hurt, they shouldn't be in the legislature. There are many more wicked things said and done between the legislators than any constituent on the grass roots level could ever levy upon them. This whining is disingenuous in the first degree. It also means that some of the blows have landed, and the efforts ought to be redoubled. It ain't over 'till it's over.

Edited by QuietDan

Norton Security Suite (Comcast package) & Spybot are (still) fine with it. All up to date here. Checked today's history file. Nothing blocked except Google Earth update (I set it that way).

I went back again with no issues. Avast was silent. This interweb is a place of great mystery. :shrug:

I thought I gave as good as I got. That is me taking a stance (C. Richard Archie). No one can say that I did not try and work with these people this year.

I just refuse to take it without pushing back.

Campfield is trying to say that he was for the bill, but he did his best to chew me up in my testimony in front of the judiciary Committee, and, he was for the Fed Ex Amendment, (opt out for fenced lots) he put it on his version of the bill at the last minute.

I tried to get him to bring his companion bill to Evan's House bill (after meeting with Evans, and him saying if the Senate moved the issue first, he would re-submit his bill in the original form), early in the session, and Campfield refused to do so.

His statement that he has never seen a TFA "Lobbyist" is indicative of the way they do business, there are no TFA "Lobbyist", just ol' country boys trying to advocate as best we can for the cause. Nobody gets paid, gas is not furnished, but if you do not wear $400.00 Italian suits and tote a briefcase full of money to pass out, guess it does not count. All Campfield has to do is check the calendars of the House side to see the meetings I and my friend Sam Cooper had with Representatives this year, but you will never see him admit the facts. Evans told me early in the year that I needed to register as a lobbyist to be taken seriously on the Hill. All I can do is burn up my vacation days and sick leave.

But, if they think they will stop those of us who hold this as serious from speaking out, and working to defeat those who attempt to disenfranchise us while they suck at the teat of their Corporate Masters, they have figured wrong.

I thought I gave as good as I got. That is me taking a stance (C. Richard Archie). No one can say that I did not try and work with these people this year.

Campfield is trying to say that he was for the bill, but he did his best to chew me up in my testimony in front of the judiciary Committee, and, he was for the Fed Ex Amendment, (opt out for fenced lots) he put it on his version of the bill at the last minute.

I tried to get him to bring his companion bill to Evan's House bill (after meeting with Evans, and him saying if the Senate moved the issue first, he would re-submit his bill in the original form), early in the session, and Campfield refused to do so.

His statement that he has never seen a TFA "Lobbyist" is indicative of the way they do business, there are no TFA "Lobbyist", just ol' country boys trying to advocate as best we can for the cause. Nobody gets paid, gas is not furnished, but if you do not wear $400.00 Italian suits and tote a briefcase full of money to pass out, guess it does not count. All Campfield has to do is check the calendars of the House side to see the meetings I and my friend Sam Cooper had with Representatives this year, but you will never see him admit the facts. Evans told me early in the year that I needed to register as a lobbyist to be taken seriously on the Hill. All I can do is burn up my vacation days and sick leave.

But, if they think they will stop those of us who hold this as serious from speaking out, and working to defeat those who attempt to disenfranchise us while they suck at the teat of their Corporate Masters, they have figured wrong.

Yes I would like to Thank you for your time pushing this issue. I helped out electronically as well as I could(emails, phone calls ect...) We need to get a good strategy started early for the next session so time doesn't play as well into the polititions hands. I am definatly voting against the incubents this year(party doesn't matter.) Thanks again for the work you and Sam Cooper put into this.

• Like 1

It is a sad situation when, as we saw this spring, corporations with big money mean more to the elected than those who elected them. This permiates the General Assembly and the Governors Mansion. When you look at all the bills that 107th General Assembly passed, you see that they were definately a pro-business assembly. The AT&T bill passed last year is a good example and for me, the MOST telling was the legislation that VERY much loosened the restrictions on corporate donations to political campaigns.

I understand that it takes a lot of money to run a successful campaign but in the end, it isn't AT&T, Volkswagen, Nissan, FedEx and others who step into the voting booth and pull the lever. We, as the voting public, need to look beyond the smoke and mirrors and ask ourselves, just who is really behind these people. If it is big business, you can bet that the interests of the individual person will be trampled.

As I consider my votes in the future, you can be assured that one of the factors I will consider is just how much support they receive from the large corporate pacs.

As far as next year is concerned, I for one do not think it too early to begin again. The only real problem as i see it, is because it is an election year, we don't know who the real players will be and what rolls will they play next January. We know that Mike Faulk and Eddie Bass have announced that the will not be back. Also I think we can be assured that Beth Harwell WILL be back but will she be the Speaker. Time will tell.

What I would ask for those who would have liked to be more involved in this push is to consider NOW planning for next spring. I don't know everybody's work situation and mine has been such that it allowed me time to do what i did. What I did was "rat hole" some vacation time and personal time just for this purpose. We know that the General Assembly meets in the spring and many of the committee meetings are held on Tuesday's and Wednesdays' so I try to plan for that. If your work situation allows you the flexability to use vacation and other personal time on short notice, consider holding some back for next spring.

I would also like to thank everybody who helped us this year. Richard Archie, Kenny Crenshaw, John Harris, Darren LaSorte just to name a few. I don't know a lot of real names, just forum names. But believe me, every phone call, every email was important. While I am disapointed in the ultimate outcome this year, if nothing else it helped us in a limited way, (short of having a real floor vote to see who they REALLY are) to know who our friends are. Given the degree of opposition from the leadership, the fact that we got this legislation further than we have in the past, is testimony to the strength of our effort. We have never had our bills on this issue make it completely out of committee, ready for the floor in BOTH the House and Senate.

Thanks again and let's start working on next year now.

Guest TnRebel

A big Thank You Worriedman; you are surly appreciated for the work and time you have put forth on this . And I had almost forgotten how back woods Nashville could be .

Edited by TnRebel

I would like to take the time to thank all of you that volunteered to take up our cause in Nashville! You all invested a lot of time and effort, and while it didn't pay off this year, the ground work as been set for next year. I think a sleeping giant has been awakened. Now let's not let him go back to sleep!

Still kinda hoping Bass moves to suspend the rules and bring the House bill directly to the floor. It wont make it, for sure, but at least there will then be a recorded vote to which each representative will be accountable.

Still kinda hoping Bass moves to suspend the rules and bring the House bill directly to the floor. It wont make it, for sure, but at least there will then be a recorded vote to which each representative will be accountable.

I agree. If I am not mistaken there will actually have to be two votes, the first one would be on a motion to suspend the rules. While this would not be on the actual bill itself, it could be an indication of the interest. If THAT vote passed, THEN there could be a vote on the bill itself.

Going into an election cycle, this could go either way. I could see a lot of members not wanting a floor vote. They don't want a recorded vote. On the other hand, they may vote for it knowing it still can't go anywhere without the Senate just to get a good rating from the NRA.

As Moped said, this awakend giant can not be allowed to go back to sleep or even rest.

I met yesterday for a couple of hours with a journalist from an on-line media outlet in Memphis, The Mainstreet Journal. This guy said that while there are liberal reporters, they do have several conservative staff members who are supportive of gun rights. He claimed to be one of them. All of his questions and our conversation seemed to indicate that. In any case, he said that the article would take him about a week to work up and should be on-line to read after that.

Like I said, we met for over two hours and I laid it out in detail about how the leadership did everything they could to derail this. I hope the article makes that clear.

Edited by Sky King

Yeah, I didnt write that very clearly - I was talking about the vote to suspend the rules. Since it takes a 2/3 majority to suspend, there will definitely be some sandbaggers (figuring they can vote to suspend, knowing there is enough opposition to cover their butts) - but at least there will recorded "No" votes for a good number of them. Funny thing is, the Dem minority may well vote en bloc to suspend the rules (just to further embarass the RINOs), thus forcing a larger number of the ®s to show their true stripes.

I totally agree - I dont think ® leadership wants ANY recorded votes on this issue. Watching Bass get steamrollered in the Calendar committee was proof of that. I am glad, tho, that he stood his ground and forced a recorded vote there - Dunn and others looked like someone was pulling their toenails out when they had to acknowledge that vote.

Here is the fact, every Republican that did not stand up to Harwell in the "Secret Caucus" vote was against the bill, else they would have "Stood their Ground" on the Constitutional and House Rules issues. Some one correct me, but I can not remember a bill that made it to Calender and Rules that did not get a floor vote, they may have failed, but they get a vote once they have made it out of the regular committee jungle. Only House Leadership can stifle that, and, only when the Caucus is compliant.

TCA code 39-11-611 plainly states that a vehicle is considered the same as your home as far as personal defense is concerned, under the "true man" rule, you have the same Rights in that setting (ordained by the TN Legislature) as in your house. As the bill under consideration (HB 3560/SB 3002) simply dealt with "keeping" a legally owned and permitted weapon in the private vehicle, unhandled, not displayed or "worn", they, the legislature, failed in its oath to uphold and protect the Constitution. The only power given to the legislature to affect firearms issues is their self imposed power to regulate the "wearing" of arms.

Says so in Article 1 Section 26:

“That the citizens of this state have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime.â€

Past the failure to understand or protect the Constitution, I believe that all but 4 House members are guilty of Official Oppression, as a public servant acting under color of office or employment who intentionally denies or impedes another in the exercise or enjoyment of any right, privilege, power or immunity, when the public servant knows the conduct is unlawful. (TCA 39-16-403)

I guess they COULD use ignorance as a defense, but only that.

Edited by Worriedman

What needs to happen to make this successful?

Tennessee would have to become the 5th state to recognize constitutional carry. You can’t make a very convincing rights argument when the state sees carrying a gun as a crime.

• Like 2

Here is another analysis of the "Parking Lot Bill" and why it failed. Thoughts?

http://www.metropuls...i/?cid=Facebook

......And members of gun owners associations should remember that the people they are cussing are the same people that expanded gun owner and permit-holder rights in previous sessions.

And they will be the same people there next year when you want another gun bill. Likely, including Debra Maggert......

I think that the only way that this will come to be upheld if someone uses the Castle doctrine in a vehicle then takes it to court and has the court uphold that the inside of a vehicle is private property and that employers are denying employees certain rights by regulating what is kept in there car. I don't think that it will ever be settled until something really bad happens and someone loses a lot of money on a lawsuite before big business will concede. Those are risks I cannot afford to take and would not ask anyone else to take. The only real option is to keep voting and asking politions in a public atmosphere where there stance is on the subject. The key is stand behind the ones that publically Support the bill and ralley against those who don't. That means not only voting against the ones who won't publically support the bills but go to party fundraisers and get togethers and letting other people know why you won't support the party candidate. It will be a long road but I am really upset about the "no vote" this session after all the lying emails I recieved From our elected officals.

It would probably be a good idea to solicit for reports of HCP holders who have fended off an attack while they were in their car on the way to or from work. These incidents would make good stories in newspapers and on the internet, the court of public opinion.

And, also, reports of HCP holders who were attacked in one way or another while they were in their car on the way to or from work and were unable to protect themselves because their employer forbade the storage of arms in their cars. These incidents would make good stories in newspapers and on the internet, the court of public opinion, and could also be the grounds for civil suits in a court of law.

Edited by QuietDan
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, this one's long in the tooth, but...

I just noticed three more amendments to HB 3560 appearing on the tn.gov web site (#s 3, 4 and 5). Maybe I'm senile, or just never looked, but I could swear these were not there up to and immediately after the bill got set to summer school. Their content is interesting, in that it gives even more insight into the stances of a couple of the players (or suggests who else is lining pockets). P Johnson submitted an amendment that would exclude any transportation facility (ie, airport, railroad) who meets DHS standards for passenger screening or transports hazardous chemicals/materials. Dennis submitted one to exclude any hospital meeting definitions in title 33 or 68, then another one that excludes any "healthcare or social service facility designated as an Occupational Safety and Health Administration-Identified High Risk Industry (OSHA Instruction, Directive Number: CPL 02-01-052, Effective Date: September 8, 2011), specifically, a hospital with an emergency department licensed under Title 68, a psychiatric facility licensed under Title 33 or a community mental health center as defined in Title 33."