M&P15 Sport

Superman

Really liking this rifle, but just wondering what would be the next step up from this rifle? and Other than the forward assist and dust cover, what about it makes it a better rifle?

Had one of the CavArms AR's for a few months and have fired a couple of other ARs, but that is all my experience with them.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure what you are asking, the sport is a nice low $ AR, but at the same time there many out there much more high end that do not have a dust cover or forward assit. i thought they had a forward assist but anyway i know 2 guys at work who really like them and say they shoot great.

The Sport has a 5R barrel which in of itself is a very nice feature. 5R barrels are know for being accurate. It also has a hardened and MPI tested bolt which is another item you do not see on lower end AR's.

The Sport is a very good value, even without the dust cover and forward assist. And if you ever decide you need those items they can be had for about $150 installed.

If I were in the market for a beginner AR I would definintely by the sport before anything else.

Dolomite

there are M&P ARs that have the dust cover and FA, ours did, though they may cost a little more (not sure). Ours was about $750 with those features, 1/9 twist, its been a great trouble free gun. I would bet that it is cheaper to pick the one with those features than add them after the fact (?) if you really want them.

FWIW, I've never had to use the FA on any of the AR's I've owned, but I've only used it for sport shooting, nothing "mission-critical." I also can't say I've ever closed my dust cover either. From my experience, they have been extraneous options on my sporting rifles. You may have different needs or run into different circumstances.

Mac

I am in between purchasing the M&P Sport or the M&P Optics Ready version from Academy Sports. $300 difference , but I want to put a nice scope on it. Which and why ?

I want a beater to carry on the four wheeler and don't want to use my pre-ban Colt.

Edited by Threeeighty

And twist rate , is it worth it ? My pre-ban is a 1/7 , whats the difference really ?

Sport / No FA, No Dust Cover , A2 front sight , 1/8 TW NATO barrel ?

Optic Ready / added FA , dust cover , No Front Sight / pict low gas block / 1/9 TW / Chromed chamber and bore

Am I missing anything ?

Edited by Threeeighty

I believe the majority of users are going to do just as well, probably better, with the Sport as any of the others. One great thing about the Sport vs. the Optics Ready carbine is cost. Another great feature of the Sport is the 5R barrel. By design 5R barrels are most accurate than most other designs and they are rarely found on anything other than high end rifles. Google it! You are going to be surpised when you comapre accuracy of your Colt to the 5R barrel if you get the Sport.

For the price difference between the OR and the Sport you can add a decent red dot or other type of scope to take advantage of the accuracy of the 5R barrel. You can use the cost difference to buy ammo so you get to shoot more. Or maybe even buy a rimfire conversion so you can shoot even more, it would be like getting two more guns for under $900. Because the Sport is built to the same standard as every other AR out there you can add or change components as you need them. And the $300 difference in price tag is a big step ahaed to getting those items you might want or feel you need.

And the only real difference between the two are the chrome lined bore and chamber. And chrome lined bores tend to be less accurate than those that aren't, now some individual rifles might be better but as a general rule chrome lined is less accurate. As far as the forward assist and port cover most people are not going to ever need them. And if you ever decide you need them the upper receiver can be swapped out for under $150 as I said above. And then you have a better gun than the OP carbine for less. The only real advantage the chrome lined bores has over others is durability when firing at an accelerated rate. And even then it isn't that much greater. It also helps with corrosion in field enviroments but most users on this side of the pond aren;t gonig to need that corrosion resistance.

The Sport also has a 8 twist rather than a 9 twist. And although I am a HUGE 9 twist fan the 8 twist is still better if you ever plan on shooter HEAVY bullets. 8 twist is also still slow enough to use varmint bullets without centrifugal force blowing them apart like a 7 twist. 9 twist barrels will shoot 77 and 80 grain bullets, just not to the extended ranges a 8 twist can.

The Sport comes ready to shoot, no need to purchase sights unlike the Optics Ready rifle which would require a front and rear sight or some sort of optic to be able to fire the first round.

I just think the Sport is a better gun then the Optic Ready carbine. You get a lot more for your money. And honestly I can't build a better gun for the price of the Sport and I am a big fan of building AR's. There is nothing in the under $750 price range that compares.

And if you can't tell I am a huge fan of the Sport. And up until about 3 weeks ago I never considered it.

Dolomite

And twist rate , is it worth it ? My pre-ban is a 1/7 , whats the difference really ?

Sport / No FA, No Dust Cover , A2 front sight , 1/8 TW NATO barrel ?

Optic Ready / added FA , dust cover , No Front Sight / pict low gas block / 1/9 TW / Chromed chamber and bore

Am I missing anything ?

depends who you ask!

I believe the majority of users are going to do just as well, probably better, with the Sport as any of the others. One great thing about the Sport vs. the Optics Ready carbine is cost. Another great feature of the Sport is the 5R barrel. By design 5R barrels are most accurate than most other designs and they are rarely found on anything other than high end rifles. Google it! You are going to be surpised when you comapre accuracy of your Colt to the 5R barrel if you get the Sport.

For the price difference between the OR and the Sport you can add a decent red dot or other type of scope to take advantage of the accuracy of the 5R barrel. You can use the cost difference to buy ammo so you get to shoot more. Or maybe even buy a rimfire conversion so you can shoot even more, it would be like getting two more guns for under $900. Because the Sport is built to the same standard as every other AR out there you can add or change components as you need them. And the $300 difference in price tag is a big step ahaed to getting those items you might want or feel you need.

And the only real difference between the two are the chrome lined bore and chamber. And chrome lined bores tend to be less accurate than those that aren't, now some individual rifles might be better but as a general rule chrome lined is less accurate. As far as the forward assist and port cover most people are not going to ever need them. And if you ever decide you need them the upper receiver can be swapped out for under $150 as I said above. And then you have a better gun than the OP carbine for less. The only real advantage the chrome lined bores has over others is durability when firing at an accelerated rate. And even then it isn't that much greater. It also helps with corrosion in field enviroments but most users on this side of the pond aren;t gonig to need that corrosion resistance.

The Sport also has a 8 twist rather than a 9 twist. And although I am a HUGE 9 twist fan the 8 twist is still better if you ever plan on shooter HEAVY bullets. 8 twist is also still slow enough to use varmint bullets without centrifugal force blowing them apart like a 7 twist. 9 twist barrels will shoot 77 and 80 grain bullets, just not to the extended ranges a 8 twist can.

The Sport comes ready to shoot, no need to purchase sights unlike the Optics Ready rifle which would require a front and rear sight or some sort of optic to be able to fire the first round.

I just think the Sport is a better gun then the Optic Ready carbine. You get a lot more for your money. And honestly I can't build a better gun for the price of the Sport and I am a big fan of building AR's. There is nothing in the under $750 price range that compares.

And if you can't tell I am a huge fan of the Sport. And up until about 3 weeks ago I never considered it.

Dolomite

Thank you sir.

Guest dubaholic2

Gander Mtn. has the sport on sale for $679 right now, and it comes with 3 extra mags. Also, the OR rifle comes with an eotech. That's $400+ right there. Just FYI.

Does the sport have a .223 chamber vs 5.56?

The S&W site says 5.56, but Davidson's lists them as .223?

I am 95% sure the whole M&P line shoots both, meaning they are really 5.56 chambered (?). Davidson's sometimes has really strange notes, not precisely wrong but almost as if written by someone who knows little of guns.