Visited WallyWorld today in Cool Springs to buy some Ammo and...

Guest RobThatsMe

Guest RobThatsMe

Hi,

I was buying some ammo at Wallyworld today, and when checking out, they asked me if the ammo was for rifle or gun.

I have never been asked this before, and they said it was required.

Then when I got home and looked at the sales receipt, I noticed that they charged me a "Fee" of 0.10 cents for each box of ammo that I bought. I should also mention that the "Fees" were for each box of different calibers.

Has anyone else noticed this, or had the same experience there?

Thanks,

Rob

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RobThatsMe
Was it the ammo tax, because there is a .10 cent charge per box of ammo.

Perhaps.. but on the Wallyworld Recipt the description says "Fee".

If it is a "Tax" then it should have stated that it was.

Thanks... I am going to call them tomorrow and ask.

Rob

Guest D.Holliday

I have noticed the 10 cent fee, have not asked why.

Ive notice the question comes up on the screen while checking out. I was guessing you have to be 21 to by handgun ammo, and only 18 for rifle.

Then when I got home and looked at the sales receipt, I noticed that they charged me a "Fee" of 0.10 cents for each box of ammo that I bought. I should also mention that the "Fees" were for each box of different calibers....

.10 per box (doesn't matter what the box holds) for many years in TN. That's why there's a tax stamp on each box.

Wal-Mart is the one of the few places that lists it separately, but they've been doing it for years also.

You've been paying it all along anywhere in TN you buy ammo from a FFL.

The $10 for NICS check on gun purchase isn't called a tax either. But it is.

- OS

Guest RobThatsMe

Thanks everyone for the great responses!

At least now I know what it is.

[h=2]TWRA - Ammunition Tax Stamps[/h]State law requires that all persons, firms, and corporations engaged in the business of buying, selling, distributing, storing, receiving, having in possession or using shotgun shells or metallic cartridges, shall pay a special privilege tax in addition to all other taxes in an amount or equal to 10 cents per individual container on all center-fire ammunition, all shotgun shells, and rim-fire ammunition. For more information about Ammunition Tax Stamps and how to obtain them, please contact the TWRA Revenue Office at 1-800-648-8798.

Rob

Edited by RobThatsMe
Hi,

I was buying some ammo at Wallyworld today, and when checking out, they asked me if the ammo was for rifle or gun.

I have never been asked this before, and they said it was required.

Then when I got home and looked at the sales receipt, I noticed that they charged me a "Fee" of 0.10 cents for each box of ammo that I bought. I should also mention that the "Fees" were for each box of different calibers.

Has anyone else noticed this, or had the same experience there?

Thanks,

Rob

Others have said it :tinfoil:

The Ammo tax is $0.10 a box and it's standard in B&M shops in TN.

The question is because 18 to buy rifle ammunition 21 to buy handgun ammunition. Although one could argue that their rifle uses handgun ammunition but whatever.

The question is because 18 to buy rifle ammunition 21 to buy handgun ammunition. Although one could argue that their rifle uses handgun ammunition but whatever.

This is the reason that they ask. A lot of times they will ask for ID if you say for handgun.

I find it very hard at the Smyrna Walmart to even get someone in sporting goods to open the ammo cabinet.

Agreed. I used my smartphone to find the store phone number, called the front desk from inside the store, and had them send someone back to sporting goods with the key.

I find it very hard at the Smyrna Walmart to even get someone in sporting goods to open the ammo cabinet.

Same problem here. This is at the south Nashville Wal-Mart. They seem to work the counter in the sporting goods section at Cool Springs a little better. I suspect it has something to do with that location selling rifles. The two near me in south Nashville do not.

Guest bkelm18
Fee is standard federal tax

Negative. It's a state tax. Funds go to the TWRA. I believe the little green sticker even says "State of Tennessee" on it.

Guest jackdm3

It's gotten to where, when I walk in, I just go straight to anyone with a talkie and tell someone they're needed in sporting goods. Most times I get there right before a CSR shows up.