So I'm coming (again) to drain your collective knowledge and experience. What suggestions do you have for a person looking for their first holster? Once I've got my permit my carry gun will be my Sig Sauer SP2340 and I had planned on open carrying this particular firearm. What are some brands that are considered good quality? Brands to avoid? Anything else you guys can recommend to look for or watch out for I'd appreciate.

Thanks again guys.

:)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell you what owning a firearm is like having a child. You buy a gun, and then you need more magazines, maybe a flashlight/laser, a holster, have to feed it ammo, etc etc. :)

My plan was to open carry this gun. I was thinking leather, but I'm not set in stone. I don't plan on carrying it concealed so I thought I'd just keep it on my right side.

Edited by Spank

I just got a Garrett "Silent Thunder OWB". I absolutely love this holster. Finish is great and what I really like is that the kydex is leather lined. My HK P2000 fits tight and the holster is very comfortable. I am going to write a review soon but I would not hesitate buying another one of Garretts holsters. I'm still waiting on a TT Gunleather IWB to ship but if it's not as comfy as I'm hoping, then Garrett will get my next order.

The biggest problem is that I don't even know what I want. I'm doing some looking around, reading, etc and I appreciate everyones input on brands along with sigbrown's offer of making one. I do realize that you get what you pay for as well, in my opinion I think 50-100 dollars sounds reasonable, past that seems insanity.

It also seems that my carry gun is not as popular as others. It seems I don't find many companies with a holster for my gun.

Anyone have experience with this? I know it's probably a PoS but then again the gun is one too. But it's what I have for now. All I'm looking for is something to use once I get my permit on the rare occasions I will be able to carry. Work for the city govt. so even the parking lots are off limits.

Anyone have experience with this? I know it's probably a PoS but then again the gun is one too. But it's what I have for now. All I'm looking for is something to use once I get my permit on the rare occasions I will be able to carry. Work for the city govt. so even the parking lots are off limits.

TGO David once put it best in reference to the kind of holsters: You may as well carry it in a paper sack.

TGO David once put it best in reference to the kind of holsters: You may as well carry it in a paper sack.

No really, tell me what you think. :)

Message received and understood. Thanks.

Since nothing respectable comes up when I search for Bryco 59, anyone know what it's similar enough to so that I can start my holster collection? Since that seems to be the path I am starting down....

Edited by Makiaveli

There's some fine holsters already mentioned.

As I'm sure most folks already know, carrying a sidearm is best accomplished using a "Carry System". It's much more than just a holster.

Your handgun needs to be stable, in the same place always, needing minimal fiddling (adjustments), allowing a repeatable drawstroke.

The base of this system is the belt, a purpose designed holster belt. Quality mag carriers are a must as well.

I have legally carried (concealed), each and every day, for close to 25 years. If I have clothes on, I have a gun.

I carried a full sized 1911 for several years in a PROLine, now Kramer Leather horsehide holster with a horsehide belt. I purchased these around 1990 and they are still very serviceable. My point being, they were and are worth the investment.

Another holster maker I've always had good experience with is Milt Sparks. Mr. Sparks made my first holster. Tony Kanaly, now the President of that fine company, has made several others for me over the years. Again...a Quality investment and worth the money and the wait.

DeSantis makes some quality holsters as well. I like the Inner Piece for my Glock.

But, to be redundant and boring, the belt is foundation that you build a carry system on, imho.

Good Luck in your choices and decision.

There's some fine holsters already mentioned.

As I'm sure most folks already know, carrying a sidearm is best accomplished using a "Carry System". It's much more than just a holster.

Your handgun needs to be stable, in the same place always, needing minimal fiddling (adjustments), allowing a repeatable drawstroke.

The base of this system is the belt, a purpose designed holster belt. Quality mag carriers are a must as well.

I have legally carried (concealed), each and every day, for close to 25 years. If I have clothes on, I have a gun.

I carried a full sized 1911 for several years in a PROLine, now Kramer Leather horsehide holster with a horsehide belt. I purchased these around 1990 and they are still very serviceable. My point being, they were and are worth the investment.

Another holster maker I've always had good experience with is Milt Sparks. Mr. Sparks made my first holster. Tony Kanaly, now the President of that fine company, has made several others for me over the years. Again...a Quality investment and worth the money and the wait.

DeSantis makes some quality holsters as well. I like the Inner Piece for my Glock.

But, to be redundant and boring, the belt is foundation that you build a carry system on, imho.

Good Luck in your choices and decision.

In my case, my big thing right now is finding one that will fit the gun. Preferably a inexpensive holster, as the gun is going to be replaced when feasible with a real one, and I won't be able to carry much at my current situation at work. Again it's a Bryco Model 59 by Jennings Firearms if anyone has any advice....