Outdoor Range

G27ATT

Does anybody know of a place to shoot outdoors in the Knoxville or surrounding area? I just bought a Mosin Nagant and also shoot pistols but I really want to shoot outdoors. I don't know anybody with property unfortunately. I have never heard anyone talk of an outdoor range in this area. Thanks!

Guest bkelm18

The outdoor range at Norris is pretty popular. You have to go to the Norris PD and pay the fee (in cash) and get a key. I think a year membership is only like $40.

ORSA is the place... yearly membership is cheap for what you get and it is a top notch facility.... if you do not want to join a gun club, there is a range over on Rifle Range road in north Knoxville.. pay as you go thing.

Does anybody know of a place to shoot outdoors in the Knoxville or surrounding area? I just bought a Mosin Nagant and also shoot pistols but I really want to shoot outdoors. I don't know anybody with property unfortunately. I have never heard anyone talk of an outdoor range in this area. Thanks!

These guys have nailed it.

There's the John Sevier Hunter Education Center off of Rifle Range Road. It's only $5.50 for 2 hours of shooting but it's a bench range and they are super strict about those rules.

There's the ORSA range in Oak Ridge. I've never been but I keep hearing good things but it's not as cheap as the others.

Norris PD seems to be the favorite. It's a bit up the road outside of Knoxville but for $40 a year, it's definitely the best price you can find. Just clean up and you can pretty much shoot however you want. Standing, prone, bench, etc. I still have yet to go to that one either (no rifle yet).

I'm in Maryville and there's nothing that I know of down this way. I'm an ORSA member and usually go there. There is no place that I know of at ORSA that is friendly to to really letting loose with an AR or practice shooting pistol or rifle while moving. There is the action range but AFAIK you can only shoot there during organized competition practices. For that kind of stuff I drive up to the range at Royal Blue. I try to pick weekdays and usually there are only a couple other folks there. There are 50, 100, and 200 yard ranges where you can set up your own targets and move around while shooting as long as you are not bothering anyone else. The gravel road to the range can get rough and I would not recommend taking a car. An SUV or pickup would be better, the only car I've ever seen there was a partol car an LEO brought in.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a member at ORSA and really appreciate having such a fine facility. I've sponsored several people for membership there.

It's a real bargain for what you get.

I was out there a few days ago, and with the nice weather, even weekdays can get pretty crowded.

I've also shot at Royal Blue a few times. Very nice setup.

As RichardS suggested, weekdays are best, and you can "scoot & shoot" up there, as long as you're safe and mindful of other folks.

Guest Darthlaidher

There's one on rifle range rd near halls.Ah someone mentioned it already lol.

Edited by Darthlaidher

Is Royal Blue open on Sundays? I have never been there but got a Draco today that I am dying to try out!

I have never seen it closed, not sure it ever does, maybe sometimes for maintenance. There is no staff on site to open/close the place, you just show up, read the rules, and shoot. I always try to clean up more than my own mess hoping others will do the same.

• Like 1
Guest harryjordan

many options norris 200 yard rifle range and small pistol range $40 in norris. orsa never been there but i hear 1000 yard range(not too sure but they have a website look at it) $120 year in oak ridge. Rifle range road off broadway been there few times dont remember much about it in N knoxville. Moose lodge off callahan road (top pick) 100 yard rifle range and small pistol range $75 a year with more than just a range need a sponser to join can PM me and go for free a few times to see if u like it. I'm sure ORSA is really cool but is just out of my way i live in N knox and Moose is close and have a boat at norris dam so i use those two. At both places i use people are always friendly and helpful.

Edited by harryjordan
Guest bkelm18

harryjordan and anyone else;

I haven't heard of Moose Lodge before. Thanks.

Do they have a website?

Otherwise, what are some of the particulars about being able to shoot there?

TIA

:hat:

I had never heard of it before, but it appears that it is a lodge of the Loyal Order of Moose (a fraternity). Not sure what you have to do to shoot there.

I had never heard of it before, but it appears that it is a lodge of the Loyal Order of Moose (a fraternity). Not sure what you have to do to shoot there.

Yep;

That is what it beginning to look like after a bit more "Googling" on my part.

Perhaps requiring a Moose Lodge membership? :shrug:

Yep;

That is what it beginning to look like after a bit more "Googling" on my part.

Perhaps requiring a Moose Lodge membership? :shrug:

According to SunTzu, you just have to have member's recommendation and you can become a Moose, and apparently even the bartender there will do. Can't remember if he joined or not.

Then you get all the amenities of the place, and don't even have to learn ancient Egyptian and bite the head off live snake and whatnot like the Masons do. ;)

- OS

• Like 1

According to SunTzu, you just have to have member's recommendation and you can become a Moose, and apparently even the bartender there will do. Can't remember if he joined or not.

Then you get all the amenities of the place, and don't even have to learn ancient Egyptian and bite the head off live snake and whatnot like the Masons do. ;)

- OS

LOL,

That's good, as I'm pretty rusty on my ancient Egyptian. :pleased: