Taurus M380

kieefer

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've run into several small pistols with more non-traditional calibers lately. Several of the Taurus 9mm revolvers and I believe it was a Charter chambered in 40 cal. Not sure I want to try that one out though. The little Taurus 9 revolver is enough for me. Good size for a bug, manageable felt recoil, and best of all...it's a 9. Same caliber as many of my other guns.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I just don't get it. If you're gonna carry a snubbie, why not just carry one chambered for .38 +P or even .357?

Just goes to show that some folks will buy anything, and the gun manufacturers know it.

You would rather have one in a .38 +p and so would I. However, we are not the target market for this. They designed this gun for people who are not really ready or able to handle the recoil of the larger caliber. I had bought a .38 for my wife, and she hated it after shooting it only a couple of times. I imagine she would probably rather enjoy this gun.

I still don't see the advantage to a .380 ACP revolver. Why not one of the semi-autos? Much easier to pocket carry.

Not saying there's not a market for it, just don't get it, that's all. Kinda like the .327 magnum. It was a solution to a problem that didn't exist.

Edited by DaddyO

I’m not enthused by the notion of a 380 ACP revolver but look at it this way. It will have less muzzle blast and recoil than a 9mm Lugar or 38 Special in a snub nosed but more potential than a 22 LR on the same platform. Personally I would consider the 32 H&R Magnum or like cartridge a better option but who knows.

From the article:

And if the logic holds that the .380 is an adequate stopper from a tiny automatic, then it's a bit hypocritical to dismiss it for use in a compact revolver.

I love revolvers. In fact, although I have and sometimes carry semiautos, I still prefer revolvers. My bedside gun is a .357 revolver and, generally speaking, my 642 has become the gun I carry most often. That said, the above statement overlooks one, important aspect of a revolver - cylinder gap. I have a couple of small .380 semiautos that I trust to 'get the job done' in most situations. That said, I am much more concerned about ammo choice, etc. for them than for larger calibers because I believe there can be a lot of difference between the 'best' and 'worst' performers. Even the 'best' performers aren't necessarily powerhouses, although I think they are generally adequate. Subtract the energy/velocity potentially lost through the cylinder gap of a revolver, however, and it could make a difference. Enough to make the .380 markedly less effective? Who knows - but it is a factor to consider and might mean that, contrary to the implications of the above statement, .380 might be less 'adequate' from a snubbie revolver than from a small semiauto. Of course, there is also the fact that my P3AT carries two more rounds in a flatter package (which is why it is still, sometimes, a better choice for carry than my favored 642.) That doesn't even take into account that Kel Tec now makes a 9 round mag for the P3AT.

As far as .380 in a revolver, I think I would prefer the Charter Arms approach of building a 9mm revolver that can also chamber/fire .380. As others have said, though, I am not the target audience for the Taurus M380. On the flip side, if such a revolver means that some folks would have or even carry 'something' where previously they had or carried 'nothing' then it could only be a good thing, IMO.

Edited by JAB
Guest Brianf88

I think for its Target audience it works. Say a "person" cannot rack the slide or does not know to disengage the safety. Or if a woman carries in her purse have you seen all the crap most of them have in there? All that stuff strips gun oil and lube and some semis are finicky the revolver you point and shoot and it goes bang every time. Also it probably won't be snappy. But I do not care about tarus

:woohoo: two threads covering the same gun, HA! :up:

Looks like a good choice for someone who wants something bigger than a .22 and less recoil than a .38 in a revolver.

I like the idea of chambering both a 9mm and .380 but what I really like is the new Taurus Ultra-Lite .44 special snub nose and let the women carry the M380. ;)

Looks like the only advantage is if you want a common caliber with your .380 pistol or....rifle?

A downloaded .38 would be more suitable and versatile if someone can't handle the recoil of a .38, .38+P or .357. This thing weighs as much as a J-frame, so why bother.

• 6 months later...

I've known more than one gentleman who carried a S&W "lemon-squeezer" chambered for 38 S&W. Both politely reminded me to pick up any ammo I ran across and they'd make it worth my while. Both of these men are veterans and own more than one safe. Being a former gun magazine junkie I tried to (politely) explain to them how inferior the caliber was, they politely listened and disregarded anything I said. I will say that both can whip their lemon-squeezers out of a front pants pocket, neither use pocket holsters, and fire 2 shots before I could get one off using my J-frame. They also wear "tighter" fitting pants with smaller pockets. Maybe the smaller cylinder helps...

Edited by Kevo