7.62x39 accuracy

Rhodewarrior

I haven't shoot my Saiga that far away. The best i could do was have 4 of 4 rounds almost touching/touching at 25 yards; it had a red dot scope on it. Using cheap Russian stuff on prone.

I shot the same cheap russian stuff on a ruger m77 chambered in 7.62x39 with a decent scope at 100 yards. 2-3 inches was the norm. Flyers were common; like every 3 or 4 rounds. Sometimes, I'd get lucky and get a 3 hole group to barely beat 1 inch but as soon as I tried a 4th round, it would fly away. This was on a bench.

I have not tried any 'good' ammo or reloads. Again, this was with very cheap Russian ammo (Academy or Brown Bear I think).

Using Hornady V-Max 123gr 7.62x39mm at 125yrds from a Saiga on a rest I was able to pull off a 3 1/4in diamond pattern with 5 shots.

That's the best I can do but I'm sure others can and would do much better. All day long I can hit 12in ballons or bowling pins at 100yrds with any ammo....

The problem is bullet size vs. bore size. Of all the commercial 7.62x39 bullets I have measured none have been larger than .309. I have some that measure .307.

The bolt gun in the link has a .300x.3085 bore. It should shoot those commercial loads better than any .311 AK with a .311 bore.

And to give you an idea of how much a few thousands make. I have a bolt gun chambered in 45 acp. The bore is .451 and it shoots .452 great, 1/2 inch or less at 25 yards If I load it with .450-.451 bullets it will not group less than a foot at 25 yards. Every thousandth makes a difference.

Dolomite

The problem is bullet size vs. bore size. Of all the commercial 7.62x39 bullets I have measured none have been larger than .309. I have some that measure .307.

The bolt gun in the link has a .300x.3085 bore. It should shoot those commercial loads better than any .311 AK with a .311 bore.

And to give you an idea of how much a few thousands make. I have a bolt gun chambered in 45 acp. The bore is .451 and it shoots .452 great, 1/2 inch or less at 25 yards If I load it with .450-.451 bullets it will not group less than a foot at 25 yards. Every thousandth makes a difference.

Dolomite

Thanks for info. I assumed the bullets were main reason this caliber's accuracy was low on so many different guns. I guess I'll just keep this rifle as my 100 yd brush gun.

Thanks for info. I assumed the bullets were main reason this caliber's accuracy was low on so many different guns. I guess I'll just keep this rifle as my 100 yd brush gun.

You've never said what "THIS" gun was. A Romanian/Century rifle is hardly worth the effort in the first place, but a VEPR or a well massaged Saiga are certainly capable and well worth the effort.

You've never said what "THIS" gun was. A Romanian/Century rifle is hardly worth the effort in the first place, but a VEPR or a well massaged Saiga are certainly capable and well worth the effort.

It's a mini 30 and I've been contemplating a barrel upgrade, reloading or both, but if sub-moa is unlikely with 7.62 than it's probably not worth the investment.

Edited by Rhodewarrior

I pulled some Tula down today to reload and while I was at it I decided to check the powder charge and the bullet weights. As far as the powder goes they fluctuated between 25.1 and 25.6 grains. I did have one measure 23.0 grains but it was so far out of the norm I didn't count it as a good measurement. The bullets also fluctuated by a lot as well. They ranged from 121.6 grains to 123.5 grains in weight.

I also noticed that one of them had a bullet that literally fell out of the case. I was using an impact puller and almost ever case took 3 smacks to free the bullet. But one of them came loose on the first smack. I am sure this doesn help accuracy either.

And finally, every bullet measured .308" in diameter.

Hopefully I can get to the range in the next week or so. And more importantly I hope I can load these cases with known good powder and bullets.

My next step is to collect the powder and then reload the cases with factory powder but without the variations.

Dolomite

Guest UberHund

Mini 30:

invest in a triger job ($65) and an accu strut (%95). then you will be shooting much tighter groups.

Yes the AK is closser to a british 303 than a 308. Hand loads will allow you to fine tune that weapon.

DO the trigger yourself. I'm not very talented at doing anything, but I had no trouble getting my mini14 trigger smooth and light. There are some very good how to videos on you tube. You'll save the money, and learn quite a bit about your rifle too.

I think I'm going to, I watched an hour long video on the Great West Gunsmithing website and it explained in detail what to polish, trim and adjust to perform a trigger job on a mini. Seemed relatively basic. I have what I need. I can get a pull gauge from work to measure the trigger pull and adjust accordingly. Thanks for the encouragement!