Doomsday Prepper has his guns confiscated by the state of TN...

Zulu Cowboy

It would only be suicide by cop if you let it get that far. That's what's so nice about talking about it here and now. Don't tell your doctors anything except where it hurts and if they wanna talk feelings or thoughts, get up and leave. Immediately.

If a Doctor, Cop or hospital worker wants to talk guns with me; we are going to talk. I have absolutely no fear that I am going to find myself in a mental hospital for observation. And I doubt that’s what happened here either. But it does make a good story doesn’t it? :popcorn:

• Like 1

When you say you're nuts and want to OFF yerself to a "doctor" and has you "involuntarily" committed...all kinds of "legal stuff" just goes out the window...sometimes no judge is needed...and IF one is...its usually after the fact...and once they gotcha...fuhgedaboudit.

If that doctor thought he was nuts enough to be

considered for commitment, don't you think he

might want to try to keep him in his office for a

cop to come get him?

Out of fairness to the "victim" I can't pass judgement

on him and won't, but the doctor took something and

chewed on it before he made a decision. I think the

doctor acted in bad faith toward his patient, and not

just because of the guns, either. I kid around with

my doctor all the time, and it can get quite colorful

in the comments section. My cardiologist wouldn't

do this, either, and we've had quite frank discussions.

Maybe I'm just not crazy, yet.

The problem I have with the whole thing is the current

political climate and their desire to use mental defect to

deny one's right to bear arms. If this ends up not

fitting into the same category and this guy is certifiable,

I'll shut up. This is in Obamacare, along with a million

other bad things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you say you're nuts and want to OFF yerself to a "doctor" and has you "involuntarily" committed...all kinds of "legal stuff" just goes out the window...sometimes no judge is needed...and IF one is...its usually after the fact...and once they gotcha...fuhgedaboudit.

Not only when you "say you're nuts" or want to "off yourself", just then mention of "life is not important anymore" will make this happen per my previous post. I was in the ER for 2-3 hours with a family member and watched this unfold.

Lester - you've got some info quite incorrect - medication and therapy are not only for the "tough cases"

If you have concerns about your melancholy I'd recommend speaking with a physician you trust - there are a wide range of options available, none of which would disqualify you from owning a gun.

Hi Mike

Our boastful pontification on valid system flaws aside, it is quite possible that the survivalist fellow really was behaving convincingly crazy in order to get a referral. Unless the physician just happens to be a dilweed of first magnitude.

Have noticed over the years that physicians tend to hand out anti-depressants like candy to women, even when women don't ask for anything. But the physicians I've seen tend to ignore symptoms in men unless quite severe.

When I was about 19 and dropped out of college and was not too happy about life, was getting treated for tonsilitis by a crusty old ex-army doc working in a falling-down and not obsessively clean working class walk-in clinic. Didn't know anything about psychology and had been told that it really is good for something or the other. Asked that old doc about counseling options. The gruff old army doc said, "Son, unless you are bat-guano crazy, don't go get counseling. They will put it in your record and it will hurt your employment options later in life. You don't look crazy enough to me. Forget about it." So that seemed like decent-enough advice. At least to remember it more than forty years later.

So anyway I have always had a melancholic non-optimistic temperament and a case could be made for at least a mild Depressive Personality Disorder. As far as I've been able to determine, reading and observing clinical outcomes, medication or counseling is rarely beneficial for depression except possible medication benefits for the most seriously screwed-up psychotic depressives or manic-depressives. So it seems a total waste of time to look for any medical solution. Just keep on truckin. Doesn't keep me from getting up every day.

It is just funny-- Nowadays just about every routine doctor appt, either the nurse or doctor ask the typical symptom questions including, "do you have feelings of depression?". And I always honestly reply, "no more than usual." They always think I'm making a funny joke. They get a kick out of it! If I was a middle-aged woman they'd have had me on 20 different psychotropic drugs by now! Everything from valium thru lithium to elavil. (kinda sorta joking)

Ain't complainin. If offered drugs or counseling I'd decline. It is just interesting that they are almost universally so oblivious.

Just sayin, it is quite possible that the survivalist dude might have been acting a little more bizzarre than "run of the mill bizarre" for a doctor to have noticed anything at all.

Guest Lester Weevils

Lester - you've got some info quite incorrect - medication and therapy are not only for the "tough cases"

If you have concerns about your melancholy I'd recommend speaking with a physician you trust - there are a wide range of options available, none of which would disqualify you from owning a gun.

Thanks Hershmeister

I don't claim expertise and that may be so. Maybe I'll ask about it sometime but am generally aversive to pills except the ones for medical conditions.

Have idly followed news of various anti-depressants, and some that were trumpeted as "miracles" a few years ago turned out in followup research hardly more effective than sugar pills.

Many social and psychological situations tend to follow a rough "rule of thirds". A third get better, a third stay the same, a third get worse. If a drug tests 33% effective, than basically the drug is doing the same thing as nothing at all! :)

Have watched various acquaintences with "minor depression" go thru various Rx anti-depressives, and typically a couple of years later they are not taking the pills any more and they are no worse and no better, and admit that the pills really didn't make much difference except possibly cause a few side-effects that they could just as easily have done without.

There are drugs which do seem to kinda-sorta help people with serious depression, however. They had several which appeared to work pretty well for seriously screwed-up depressives even back in the 1970's when I worked in the field.

Ain't sayin' yer wrong. Maybe there are effective meds. Just some research shows little benefit.

Edited by Lester Weevils

Dunno. Was he carrying a gun to sell, or buying a gun?

- OS

Guess it doesn't make any difference - he can obviously still go to gun shows. Evidently that's something he enjoys, so - contrary to his statement in the initial video in the thread - he hasn't "lost everything he loves."

Personally, I wish him all the best. And if the rest of us have maybe learned something (even if it's only what NOT to say) from his trials and travails then I guess he's done more good than he thought. :up:

This guy is dumber than a box of rocks. “I’m not going†“a fire fight ensuedâ€.

I’m not an attorney but would offer this advice… Quit posting your mindless ramblings on the internet before you end up dead or in prison. All these videos will be used against you. (Could be why he can't get an attorney to help him.)

This guy is dumber than a box of rocks. “I’m not going†“a fire fight ensuedâ€.

I’m not an attorney but would offer this advice… Quit posting your mindless ramblings on the internet before you end up dead or in prison. All these videos will be used against you. (Could be why he can't get an attorney to help him.)

Yup.