Cutting down a Mosin Nagant 91/30?

This is just a random thought I had. As long as you keep the barrel above 18" can you cut down a Mosin Nagant? (I mean as far as the law goes, of course you can physically take a saw to the barrel, haha)

I've seen the pistol conversions and that's not what I'm after. Just thought it would be interesting / a fun project to experiment by cutting the barrel down and see how it affects the rifle.

Edited by Guest
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you expect to gain? That's a fat lot of powder in that 7,62x54R case. I think you may end up with a shorter handier rifle, but at the cost of accuracy. BTW, it's been done already. They're called M-44's :D

*edit* Although, now that I think of it...an M44 without that clunky bayonet contraption on the end would actually be a nice little carbine. I say go for it and post pictures!

Edited by Caster

What do you expect to gain? That's a fat lot of powder in that 7,62x54R case. I think you may end up with a shorter handier rifle, but at the cost of accuracy. BTW, it's been done already. They're called M-44's :D

Yeah, it would basically be an M-44 without the bayonett I guess. I was more checking if there were any legal issues to cutting the barrel down (?) I don't really know that anything would be gained, and yeah long range accuracy would probably suffer. I just thought it would make an interesting experiment / project. With 17 million more 91/30's out there, it's not like it would be destroying a valuable piece of history or anything....

There's a pretty good youtube series (5 parts, I think) where some guys in a shop cut one down to make a sporter out of it.

They actually do use a hacksaw (which is what Larry Potterfield of Midway USA uses by the way), but they crown the barrel very well.

Guest bkelm18

Same thing was said about the M1911A1

There were many, many more Mosins produced than 1911s. I believe I read somewhere that over 50 million were produced over their service period. They are still so plentiful that almost a century later they're still only $80. The same cannot be said about 1911s.

There were many, many more Mosins produced than 1911s. I believe I read somewhere that over 50 million were produced over their service period. They are still so plentiful that almost a century later they're still only $80. The same cannot be said about 1911s.

I made a bad comparison here. I just couldn't bring myself to cut on one regardless of how many there are. I see that date stamped on top and think, "This is history". Nothing against anyone that does modify them, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

So, is 16" the legal minimum for cutting down rifles?

If so, how to you legally measure the length?

The chamber counts. So drop a dowel rod down the barrel, mark it at the crown, pull it out, measure the rod, has to be at least 16 or 18 or whatever it is inches long.

Guest bkelm18

The chamber counts. So drop a dowel rod down the barrel, mark it at the crown, pull it out, measure the rod, has to be at least 16 or 18 or whatever it is inches long.

16 for rifles, 18 for shotguns.

Thanks guys. At this point it's still more of an "idea" than something I'm about to tackle next weekend. My only concern is that without a decent mill, I'll have to figure out a good way to attach the front sight post.

Speaking of that, since the rear sight is so far forward, the sight radius quickly gets short. Placing the site post over the current front sling attachment point gives approximately the same radius as an AR-15 (~14.5" IIRC). Any further back and the radius is pretty small.

Guest The Dude

buy an m38 before you hack it up. at least it will already be made at a much shorter length and have your sight post already intact. plus you wont have to have someone crown it and save you a little coin.