Walking dead....

Caster

• 1 month later...

It wasn't immediately apparent in the first few episodes, but it is now. Daryl Dixon is a god amongst insects in this crowd. He has the tools, he has the talent. THe attitude and mindset is there without searing his conscience completely. Daryl Dixon is the man.

Edited by Caster

It wasn't immediately apparent in the first few episodes, but it is now. Daryl Dixon is a god amongst insects in this crowd. He has the tools, he has the talent. THe attitude and mindset is there without searing his conscience completely. Daryl Dixon is the man.

When Daryl tried to stop the guys in Atlanta from taking Glenn, I thought he was 'the man'. When Daryl saved T-dog when the herd was passing by on the highway, I thought that Daryl was 'the man'. When he went out alone to try and bring Sophia home, I thought that Daryl was 'the man'. When he fell down that ravine not once but twice - not to mention killing one walker with a stick and pulling the crossbow bolt from his own side to kill another - climbed out on the third try then survived a head shot from a high powered rifle (okay, only a graze but still) - I thought Daryl was 'the man'. When he went running across a dark field at night, full tilt, did a flying tackle on a walker (trying to save Dale) and then killed the walker melee style, I was sure he was 'the man'. When he put Dale out of his misery because Rick couldn't do it (and not because Daryl didn't care but because he cared so much), I was even more sure that he was 'the man'. When he rode through the zombie attack on the farm on a motorcycle, stopping to shoot walkers along the way, and pretty much got out then went back into the thick of the zombies on a motorcycle to get Carol out (not to mention throwing in the smartass comment, "I haven't got all day,") then proceeded - on a motorcycle - to navigate their way through the walkers and to safety, only to end up riding point for Glenn, T-dog and the others back to rendezvous with Rick on the highway, there was no doubt. Then, when he was willing (and actually started mounting up) to ride a motorcycle back into the zombie hell of the farm, by himself, to try and bring Andrea out any residual doubt of his being 'the man' was burned from my mind. He might not be possessed of all the social graces, might not be PC in his words or thinking but if you are his friend or even just a member of his group who is willing to treat him as a fellow human being he'll pretty much face anything to try and save you, if need be - and there is a good chance that he will succeed. Yep, Daryl is 'the man'.

Speaking of Andrea, I think that her new-found grit and ability earn her an honorable mention, here. Carol would have been toast without her and then she left the farm, on foot, and ran from zombies all night long, killing as many as she could along the way.

Edited by JAB

Netflix now has season 2, so I am just watching that. Not having cable sucks sometimes, but it's not worth what they want for it imo. So far season 2 is ok, but too much "human" drama. Seriously, Can we not just wack zombies?

Netflix now has season 2, so I am just watching that. Not having cable sucks sometimes, but it's not worth what they want for it imo. So far season 2 is ok, but too much "human" drama. Seriously, Can we not just wack zombies?

That pretty much sums up my feelings on s2 ..... "waaaa waaaa I have feelings waaa waaaaa"

JUST GET BACK TO KILLING ZOMBIES!!!!

Still a great show, and I can't wait for s3.

I wonder how Earl coming back into the mix will affect Daryl's new attitude. I know he is still a tough guy and all but he definitely opened up a softer side to Carol.

You mean Merle. I get the feeling Merle will threaten the group and Daryl will have to put him in his place.

Yep Merle haha. I watched mall rats the other day and in turn have been thinking about "My name is Earl.

I am thinking that the Merle and Darryl storyline will compete for the best of the season.

Edited to remove spolier! Sorry if I ruined it for anyone!

Edited by maroonandwhite

These are 'normal' people - each with his or her pre-existing attitudes, insecurities and characteristics - thrown into a situation that is anything but normal. IMO, human drama/character development is pretty much what makes the show and without that the show would pretty much suck. Any ol', mindless B movie can have second rate actors running around taking out zombies. That can even work for a short time, in some cases - although sometimes it becomes repetitive even in a feature film length movie. Try doing that for an entire season of a television show and I can sum the results up in one word...boooooring.

Think about it this way - even 'Night of the Living Dead", the zombie movie that pretty much served as the template for the modern (non-voodoo) type zombie movie, was more about the human drama, how the characters reacted to their situation and how they worked together (or fought against each other) in the face of the horror they were up against. The zombies in that movie were largely a plot device used to set the stage.

That doesn't mean you don't have to be careful which elements of the human drama you choose to bring into sharper focus.

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED SEASON 2, YET

I am probably not the only one who was a bit relieved when they finally killed Dale off. I got so sick of his moralizing and preaching. But maybe that was the point - maybe we were supposed to feel as exasperated with him as the rest of the group felt. Heck, even though Shane was not likeable, at all, by that point I was actually kind of pulling for him to go ahead and kill Dale when they confronted each other in the woods. Still, the whole 'Russel' dilemma was obviously intended to show that these characters are changing. Dale assumed that Glenn would stand with him to oppose offing Russel because, at the beginning of season one, Glenn probably would have - but he has changed. Dale was surprised that Rick was leaning toward offing Russel because - at the beginning of season one, Rick probably would never have allowed it, much less suggested it - but he has changed. Heck, even Herschel did a complete about face when he realized the truth of their situation. Good writers are able to show (via character's actions) rather than tell (via heavy-handed dialog) such things and the whole Russel dilemma - including the 'feelings' expressed - was part of that. In such a world, it is adapt/change or die. Dale didn't change much - and he died.

I also think it was interesting how Andrea stood with Dale even though she thought Russel should be killed. It showed interesting development and loyalty to her friend (Dale) on her part.

Edited by JAB