Walking dead....

Caster

I didn't realize Rick (Andrew Lincoln) was English till I heard him on some interview the other day, speaking in cultured London-ese.

No trace of the accent as Rick, rather amazing really. Jude Law can do it too -- think Cold Mountain.

- OS

Same with Damien Lewis, who is best know as Major Winters from Band of Brothers and Nicholas Brody from Homeland.

Same with Damien Lewis, who is best know as Major Winters from Band of Brothers and Nicholas Brody from Homeland.

Pretty amazing the folks that can do that. Any number of native born American actors have failed miserably just trying for a US southern accent, if they weren't such to begin with.

- OS

In regards to Andrew Lincoln's accent, I had posted this once before, but back when I was in school my girlfriend was in the English department and worked with folks that came over from Great Brittain alot, especially Scotland and England. They came to the south to study the various lowland and mountain accents, because they were a bit like a time machine for them, especially the hillbilly accents. It seems those are very close to what the English accents in the Elizabethan era were (because that is when a lot of settlers came over, then moved the hills and held on to their accents due to isolation). Of course, that is rapidly disappearing as even in the backwoods they get TV and internet now.

Anyway, somewhere along that whole deal my girlfriend learned that the Brittish had a very easy time with our accents and it is a much more natural fit for them than "Yankee" accents. I can't hear the similarties, but apparently our accent is closer to the "Brittish" accents, than midwest or--God forbid--that horribly painful gibberish they speak up in NYC and Boston.

This is all third hand for me, so forgive me if I am incorrect. It was 20 years ago when I learned that.

Guest rebeldrummer

In regards to Andrew Lincoln's accent, I had posted this once before, but back when I was in school my girlfriend was in the English department and worked with folks that came over from Great Brittain alot, especially Scotland and England. They came to the south to study the various lowland and mountain accents, because they were a bit like a time machine for them, especially the hillbilly accents. It seems those are very close to what the English accents in the Elizabethan era were (because that is when a lot of settlers came over, then moved the hills and held on to their accents due to isolation). Of course, that is rapidly disappearing as even in the backwoods they get TV and internet now.

Anyway, somewhere along that whole deal my girlfriend learned that the Brittish had a very easy time with our accents and it is a much more natural fit for them than "Yankee" accents. I can't hear the similarties, but apparently our accent is closer to the "Brittish" accents, than midwest or--God forbid--that horribly painful gibberish they speak up in NYC and Boston.

This is all third hand for me, so forgive me if I am incorrect. It was 20 years ago when I learned that.

well if Andrew (Rick) is any indication of said claim....I would agree w/ your 3rd hand info as being correct?! He NAILS it I think....

however I am originally from Illinois :hiding: and might not know what I am talking about! ha ha ha

Just for the record, the actress that plays Maggie is also British. Well kind of. She was born here but moved when she was incredibly young. She hold dual citizenship and grew up in the UK. She used her british accent (sexy!) for her character on Chuck.

The yard scene was the only really weak part in the episode (plus the assuming the dead are really dead thing). The rest of it was good. I loved the flashlights in the prison. Good visuals.

The only legit reason to go into the yard is to bait distant walkers into coming to the fence to get head-stabbed. If one is within 20 yards of the fence, don't go in. Wait them out. But it's not good TV to spend 10 minutes stabbing them through the protection of the fence. No risk to the characters would be boring, so I understand why they did it from a story perspective.

I think the idea was to get a safe place to stop. Remember the herds they mentioned earlier? IE they had to keep moving or risk getting swamped.