Glock vs 1911!

Sandman

So I have a question and would like your input. I don't want this to turn into a war.

I just finished reading the books "patriots" and thought about how they prepared. If you read it then you know that the group had specific gear to buy before the collapse. The guns they group chose were:

Colt 1911

Remington 870

AR-15

HK-91

I think the AR-15 and Remy were good choices. The HK, at least now, wouldn't be a choice due to price and availability. So while reading, I was thinking...why would they choose a 1911 over a Glock? I love 1911's and have some. I love Glocks and have some. I figured if you were trying to determine an across the board gun, I would favor a Glock due to less parts for the gun, parts availability, and just overall ease of use/fixing.

To me, 1911's are a little harder to "tinker" with. Thoughts?

I don't want this to turn into a war.

We don't always get what we want. I can hear the drums in the distance. :stir:

People will choose 1911's over Glocks for many reasons.

*It's all they know, and don't want to know any better

*They're convinced JMB was something supernatural and to be worshipped.

*They're convinced the .45 will hit a man in the hand and knock him to the ground

*They think they are prettier than a Glock......Okay, they win that one. :up:

*They think on paper accuracy is equal to practical accuracy therefore the 1911 is much more accurate than a Glock

*I've even met a couple who think they are more reliable.

*They put too much faith in "You get what you pay for" therefore a $3500 MUST be better than a $600 gun.

• Like 2
Guest bkelm18

In the unlikely event of an all-out apocalypse, I'll choose whatever I have on me. If it happens to be a Glock, okay. It happens to be my 1911, okay. If things progress to an absolute breakdown of society, I think some people have these fanciful visions of armies and re-creating civilization. The need for a high-capacity fighting weapon would be over and done with before the long term longevity of a weapons platform will really come into play. After that, there either won't be any more people left to fight, or you'll be dead.

I just don't like the weight of polymer guns. I have had a Glock and 2 1911s. I'm more accurate with a 1911 so that would be my choice. However I think the polymers are more durable, and have way better capacity. So in the case of fallout... pick up whatever you can hit with.

Guest drv2fst

Love both Glock and 1911. I strongly prefer 1911 because:

1) It just feels better (and until SHTF shooting is a hobby that I want to enjoy)

2) I shoot it more accurately (fast or slow, near or far)

3) It's slimmer and easier to carry concealed

4) I prefer the external safeties, and shoot enough that I don't have to think about it

Having said that, I own 3 Glocks and trust them without question.

To the original question: If it were a training and equipping a team/family for a situation where we were not likely to be able to order parts after SHTF, I'd go with all Glocks, mostly for cost of the guns and parts. I'd buy at least two for every person in my team/family.

Love both Glock and 1911. I strongly prefer 1911 because:

1) It just feels better (and until SHTF shooting is a hobby that I want to enjoy)

2) I shoot it more accurately (fast or slow, near or far)

3) It's slimmer and easier to carry concealed

4) I prefer the external safeties, and shoot enough that I don't have to think about it

Having said that, I own 3 Glocks and trust them without question.

To the original question: If it were a training and equipping a team/family for a situation where we were not likely to be able to order parts after SHTF, I'd go with all Glocks, mostly for cost of the guns and parts. I'd buy at least two for every person in my team/family.

I'll be on your team I guess....

• Like 1

Drv2fast, I will also be on your team. This is an opinion thread so I will give just that. I personally would choose the Glock, not because I worship them or don't worship 1911. I own both and shoot both well. I think for me the continuous reliability of the Glock would win for me. And since I'm on Drv2fast team I get 2 of em anyway.

BluewaterTacticalDefense

I would go with the weapon that has seen 100 years of military service, please.

It's not that I hate Glocks, but I just hate Glocks.

Though, I'd prolly take the 1911 over my XDs, too

By that line of thinking, you need a smooth bore musket. They had few dozen decades of service. :rofl:

• Like 2

I wouldnt mind a 9mm 1911 with 15+ rounds. But not a low cap 45 official design. I would rather have my auto shotgun too. AR is fine, I would probably use my ar pistol and keep the rifle stashed. The HK rifle is a good choice... but one of many, any decent 308 is as good, as are many many others. Pick what you like for the long range gun.

Guest drv2fst

Steelharp & UncleJack, I think you should review your preparedness plans. I have all my guns fully assembled at all times. Keeping guns disassembled just doesn't make sense to me.

;)

We don't always get what we want. I can hear the drums in the distance. :stir:

People will choose 1911's over Glocks for many reasons.

*It's all they know, and don't want to know any better

*They're convinced JMB was something supernatural and to be worshipped.

*They're convinced the .45 will hit a man in the hand and knock him to the ground

*They think they are prettier than a Glock......Okay, they win that one. :up:

*They think on paper accuracy is equal to practical accuracy therefore the 1911 is much more accurate than a Glock

*I've even met a couple who think they are more reliable.

*They put too much faith in "You get what you pay for" therefore a $3500 MUST be better than a $600 gun.

Some people know both and still choose the 1911 over the Glock. And JMB WAS supernatural and to be worshipped. How many other gun designs that are over 100 years old are still the yardstick by which others are measured? JMB designed more than one. The same M2 (basically) that was shooting down Luftwaffe fighters is still punching big ugly holes in Taliban fighters today. Pretty impressive if you ask me. (I know the M2 isn't yet 100 but it's getting closer)

But there's nothing wrong with Glock. It's durable, reliable, easy to maintain. I would argue that the 1911 has many more parts available and simply because they've been around so long they've sold more and therefore parts are actually more readily available. And in a true SHTF scenario you won't be ordering parts. You'll be getting them wherever you can find them. So the fact that Brownell's has a full warehouse will mean little to you unless you happen to live within very close proximity to it.

And the 1911 is the state gun of Utah. And Utah scored a zero on Brady's list. I'm not sure what that means but it has to have some significance.

Having only owned around a dozen 1911s and maybe 2 dozen Glocks, as well as a few bucket fulls of other guns I say Glock for its simplicity and durability, especially Gen 3 9mms. I'm a current certified Glock and M&P armorer and can do pretty much what can be done to a 1911 on the kitchen table. I've had to carry both to earn a paycheck. One of my friends is a Sig, Glock, M&P armorer who owns 11 Glocks and 35 1911s. Interesting in that he told me yesterday that if the SHTF and only one handgun was possible for him to take it would be a Glock 9mm. The Glock isn't my favorite handgun, but it is my preferred handgun. It is simple, reliable and eats everything I feed it without a lot of care & maintenance. I can carry a packet of spare parts that don't cost much in a small space and probably won't need them. My dream gun would be Glock innards in an M&P frame. Perfection would be that hybrid with a 1911 trigger shoe and trigger break.

We know the 1911 has proven reliable through every conceivable fight around the world. But the reason it is still around and dominant is the superior interface (trigger). If you want hi cap get a 2011.......best of both worlds.

Top Shooters on the planet that prefer the 1911:

Rob Leatham

Dave Sevigny (Immediately switched when not working for glock)

Todd Jarrett

Shannon Smith

Travis Tomasie

Max Michael

Manny Bragg

Frank Garcia

Blake Miguez

Chris Tilley

JJ Racaza

KC Eusebio

Jessie Harrison (Same as Dave, immediately switched after leaving glock)

Julie Golosky

Shane Cooley (JR world Champ army AMU)

I could go on and on and on.......

Top Shooter that actually prefers a glock: Bob Vogel

We know it's reliable, we know it is a superior shooter, and if you want more capacity get a 2011. That is all. :pleased: Oh and it was born and bread in the good ole USA :usa:

Edited by timcalhoun

In the event of a sociatal meltdown, I'd be happy with anything in hand, as long as my hand isn't empty. Give me a Jennings or Jiminez over NOTHING. That said, I believe Glock and 1911 can both be good choices. Different shooters obviously have different wants and needs. Like many others here, I think I'd prefer 12-17 rounds over 7 or 8, I believe in the event the world ends, when it comes to bullets, quantity over quality will be the deciding factor. My immediate thought is that in the rough, my Glock won't rust as much. I suspect I'd have more important things to do than maintenance handguns. Obviously, I don't own a 1911, but from reading here, I'm assuming it requires skills I don't currently possess. I'll stick with my pitful plastic guns.

I have no doubt that the 1911 platform is a better shooting platform (at least for me). I'm saying, SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, etc...would you grab a Glock? I would based on reason previously stated. Not an XD, or M&P b/c parts aren't laying around everywhere.