Classic ak-47's whats the best?

Guest Kang

Ok im looking more in to ak's and wanted a lil input. Not looking for the new one just your classic ak47. what order would you rank maker and or country? I have 1 egyptian ak shoot well but dont know much about it then i have a romainian ak that i just put on layaway.

Guest DeadEye

Romanians are on the bottem of the barrel and so are many Egyptians depending who imported these and when!

Seems youre not off to a great start!

Edited by DeadEye

Don't listen to the other guy. The only difference between a "good" AK and a "bad" AK is generally canted front sights, gas blocks, or a poor finish. All those are easily fixed. What most people look for is a "dimpled" reciever and time period correct parts and or original furniture. You are off to a fine start and as you get better AK's you will notice the difference in asthetics and finish work. That being said the order of what is best changes with who is stating it but here is the general way it goes.

1. Russian - Saiga conversions or the extremely rare and expensive imported Rusky AK. Aresenal, Legion, and many of the top builders use these.

2. Bulgarian - Aresenal, Legion, and many top builders use these.

3. Polish - Tantals (careful with Century builds) and standard AK47

4. Yugoslavian

5. Egyptian/Norinco (Chinese) depending on when they were imported. Otherwise send them to the bottom of the list.

6. Romanian

Again the list order can change and speeks to the eveness of com-block AK kits. Century builds are hit and miss and many builds these days are using American recievers and barrels. Sometimes that is good and sometimes that is a bad thing. Like I said before, if the front sight and gas block are straight, the action is smooth, and it looks good to you it is a good AK regardless of the origin or builder.

• Like 1

Egyptian Maadi's and Norincos are some of the most well built ak's out there. Right up beside russian and bulgarian built rifles. I personally would go for a newer sgl21 which is a Russian gun built by Bulgarians in Arizona.

I would stay away from century builds unless you know what you are looking at. Most rifles are good, some are not good. It's not just canted sights that are a problem. Some of them are improperly headspaced.

Edited by Mike

Humh! Dont listen to the other guy, that's what you said but why do you have the same 2 onthe bottem as the other Guy?????????????????

No need to insult the guy and make him feel bad about what he has when there is no reason for it. Like Mike said, Maadi's and Norinco's are some of the best around if you know which ones to look for. They can be near the top or near the bottom. If his guns are working for him they are good AK's. If he gets Arsenals or the like he will notice the difference, but they are still a loose tolerance AK.

• Like 1
Guest The Dude

if it were me and money was tight, id buy a saiga and put a bullet guide in it, and buy the parts for the conversion at a later date. that way you can still run mil spec mags. its not hard to do and the base rifle is cheaper than most other offerings and give you a factory new russian ak, but in a bastardized configuration.

Egyptian Maadi's and Norincos are some of the most well built ak's out there. Right up beside russian and bulgarian built rifles. I personally would go for a newer sgl21 which is a Russian gun built by Bulgarians in Arizona.

I would stay away from century builds unless you know what you are looking at. Most rifles are good, some are not good. It's not just canted sights that are a problem. Some of them are improperly headspaced.

ive seen a few without a shepards crook or a retaining plate as well. it wouldnt take long before the fcg pins work themselves out.

the sgl's are hard to beat.

I'm curious to know what makes one better than the other. Somebody break it down for me.

Generally they will all work. Canted sights and gas blocks are the biggest issue usually. The better AK's will be better finished. The bolt rails and bolt/hammer interface will be smoother and not "catch" during charging and firing. The Yugo's and some Polish recievers will use a 1.5mm thick reciever where everyone else will use a 1mm thick reciever. It is debatable whether it makes a difference. Also, the good builders will heat treat the recievers correctly so they won't warp or twist. They will also use the correct barrel. There have been cases where builders tried to cut cost by using barrels with standard US twist and diameters instead of using the correct Russian specks. Century had a probem with this. They were using 5.56 barrels instead of the 5.45 to cut cost and they had bad key holing issue. The better ones will also have cleaner and straighter welds. Mostly asthetic but it makes a difference in appearance.

I'm sure there are some other issues, but that is what comes to mind immediatley.

Guest The Dude

Generally they will all work. Canted sights and gas blocks are the biggest issue usually. The better AK's will be better finished. The bolt rails and bolt/hammer interface will be smoother and not "catch" during charging and firing. The Yugo's and some Polish recievers will use a 1.5mm thick reciever where everyone else will use a 1mm thick reciever. It is debatable whether it makes a difference. Also, the good builders will heat treat the recievers correctly so they won't warp or twist. They will also use the correct barrel. There have been cases where builders tried to cut cost by using barrels with standard US twist and diameters instead of using the correct Russian specks. Century had a probem with this. They were using 5.56 barrels instead of the 5.45 to cut cost and they had bad key holing issue. The better ones will also have cleaner and straighter welds. Mostly asthetic but it makes a difference in appearance.

I'm sure there are some other issues, but that is what comes to mind immediatley.

not only that, but be leary of the guns made from parts kits. theres usually a reason that a lot of the kits have been de-activated. usually they are no long fit for service. but that doesnt mean they wont go bang everytime, but the life expecantcy wont be the same as a new rifle. obviously, or the weapon may be problematic from the get go.

Guest Revelator

Of course a true "classic AK47" would be an authentic Cold War-era AKM, select fire and transferable. Yours for five figures and the first number may not be a 1. Or if you ever find yourself in a Yemeni flea market you could probably pick one up for a song. Sorry it's just a little peeve of mine that they're all referred to as "AK47." That phrase has become bastardized. The neutered, non trasferable mutts that we have here in the US are best described at AK47 knockoffs.

I have to once again go to bat for the little Hungarian receiver'd AMD65 (barrel and comp may be from there too, not sure). They are fun little thumpers. I'm not one for investing in guns but I do think if you had some spare cash, buying a few sporterized Saigas and hanging on to them would be a good move.

I'm not one for investing in guns but I do think if you had some spare cash, buying a few sporterized Saigas and hanging on to them would be a good move.

Buying anything AK (or otherwise) related between now and November would be a very, very wise move.

• Like 1

I love Aks my absolute Fav Of course I may Like a Scar but havent Gotten to do much testing etc. but heard they are awsome,

now back to the AK I like just about all of them especially the Cheaper models and Ill tell you why "Its basically the same reason I choose an Old Pickup over a New one for work hauling and loading" because I dont care what happens to them and they will run forever simply put pretty much every AK or variant made will work / Run forever maybe a Little work here and there to get em running again but they are a work horse .Ive seen an Old Wasr that was Rusted shut from sitting in a Locker for over a year after getting wet and the thing looked awfull the guy put the butt on the ground and kicked the charging hand a few times to free up the receiver, stuck a Mag in it and proceeded to fire it like he just bought it now that is what I call reliability !!

Kind of sounds Like an old Chevy or Ford may not be pretty may leak oil everywere but if you can get someone to help you jump start her she should fire right up.

Now when it Comes to AKs i have to say though the Saigas are nice and can be treated the same way I just dont like treating a 1,000 dollar gun the same way I treat a 400.00 gun so I dont get as much use out of those and if i do get some I usually trade them off for 2 cheaper AK's But hey thats just my 2 cents an AK is a Workhorse and I treat them as such . By the way Id rather get one slightly messed up scratched or dinged etc. for cheaper Then a new one because Im gonna scatch and ding the hell out of mine anyway ;)

Edited by plank white

I've been playing with many of the AK's mentioned here for a few years. I really haven't found one that shot better or worse than the other. I've shot Arsenal's, WASR's, Polish, Egyption and many others using ammo from Wolf to Hornady to Federal PowerShok in various grains and haven't noticed any major differences. I still have been able to hit a 12in target at 125yrds with every gun using iron sights from a rest. I can tighten up "groups" using scopes and high grade ammo but most all preform the same for me.....then again I'm not the best shooter either but they shoot as advertisied which is "minute of man" at 100yrds....

Edited by kwe45919

not only that, but be leary of the guns made from parts kits. theres usually a reason that a lot of the kits have been de-activated. usually they are no long fit for service. but that doesn't mean they wont go bang everytime, but the life expecantcy wont be the same as a new rifle. obviously, or the weapon may be problematic from the get go.

Technically, they are all "parts kits". You can't import AK's into the country assembled. They will all have to be assembled or converted (Saiga's only) once they are in the country. Now it is true that some parts kits are better than others and some are missing parts that the builder will substitute US made parts in. Higher end AK's cost more because the parts kits or conversion are on virgin kits or have parts kits that have the bad parts weeded out. The cheaper builds aren't as picky or thorough thus the cheaper cost.

Most of the kits that are sold come from countries that no longer use the '47, have surplus guns left over from the cold war, are from countries that have been required to lessen their military numbers through treaties or NATO stipulations, or no longer exists (i.e. Yugoslavia). They are not necessarily de-milled because they are beat up and used up. Many guns that were never used get de-milled for the above reasons.

Guest The Dude

Technically, they are all "parts kits". You can't import AK's into the country assembled. They will all have to be assembled or converted (Saiga's only) once they are in the country. Now it is true that some parts kits are better than others and some are missing parts that the builder will substitute US made parts in. Higher end AK's cost more because the parts kits or conversion are on virgin kits or have parts kits that have the bad parts weeded out. The cheaper builds aren't as picky or thorough thus the cheaper cost.

thats the 922 garbage law. prolly one of the more retarded ones we have on the books.

Most of the kits that are sold come from countries that no longer use the '47, have surplus guns left over from the cold war, are from countries that have been required to lessen their military numbers through treaties or NATO stipulations, or no longer exists (i.e. Yugoslavia). They are not necessarily de-milled because they are beat up and used up. Many guns that were never used get de-milled for the above reasons.

thats true too.

My Romanian AK functions just as well and shoots just as straight as one that costs 3 times as much, it just don't look as pretty. Nothing against someone that likes nice stuff, but it's not as if the damn thing doesn't work.

Edited by TMF 18B

thanks for everyones in put now ive had my egyptian ak since 97 and havent had a single problem with it and shoot it alot!

Edited by Kang

I've owned several over the years and found the Yugo's to on top as far as design. They are heavier, but.....they're heavier :cool: The only thing they have against them would be not having a chrome bore. That's not as bad as some tout, but it would be better if they did.

As others have said too, watch out for anything Century makes.

Well ive owned 2 an egyptian maadi arm that i was very satisfied with....then i got a preban polytech aks 762 galil sidefolder....the trigger on the chicom (double hook) is much smoother and as crisp as a pringles potsto chip...the internals on the poly are much heavier and the barrel and trunion is much heavier and i did find it to be more accurate especially when very hot...and certainly fit and finsh cleaner on the chicom...the thicker 1.6 mm receiver on the poly i think adds to better accuracy as well

Well ive owned 2 an egyptian maadi arm that i was very satisfied with....then i got a preban polytech aks 762 galil sidefolder....the trigger on the chicom (double hook) is much smoother and as crisp as a pringles potsto chip...the internals on the poly are much heavier and the barrel and trunion is much heavier and i did find it to be more accurate especially when very hot...and certainly fit and finsh cleaner on the chicom...the thicker 1.6 mm receiver on the poly i think adds to better accuracy as well

My Romanian AK functions just as well and shoots just as straight as one that costs 3 times as much, it just don't look as pretty. Nothing against someone that likes nice stuff, but it's not as if the damn thing doesn't work.

Don't get emotionally invested in your equipment. No one here has said Romanian rifles don't run. Just that some of the rifles century arms has built with Romanian parts kits have issues.