Know what bugs me??

Steelharp

Guest mustangdave

What's sad is that many of these people are "gearing up for SHTF" and what do you expect to do with a pimped out .22?

Shoot slow squirrels...and use a Bear Grillz survival knife to gut and skin it...LOL

Don't lump Ruger into The Mall Ninja category.

The "Tactical 22" gets used by lots of 3 Gun guys for training.

The 10-22 can be seriously upgraded making it a fine Rifle.

I have the "non tactical" Mossberg .22 and it is a nice cheap rifle.

However....sandwiched in a plastic Clamshell that looks like an AR? Nah.

All that said, in a survival crisis I would be very happy if ONE of my Guns was a .22 Rifle.

Capbyrd, The last .22 build of yours I liked very much. I didn't see anything tacticool on it. The fact that it looked like an AR meant nothing. The mossberg Mikegideon pointed to are the type that make me vomit.

As much as I don't like the .22LR cartridge, I happened to like this one very much. Nothing on it that doesn't serve a genuine purpose. No flash or trash.

0b139588.jpg

This^ is not what we were talking about.

Hey, I'm a little off track here, but...that's a georgeuous rifle.

Thanks. It took me a while to build it. Mostly just waiting on Magpul to actually release the od parts. I probably have more in it as a dedicated 22 than most people spend on their 5.56 rifles which kinda sucks but its a ton of fun.

One of these days, I'll get around to putting a nice precision centerfire upper on it.

would dig seeing someone "tactical-ize" a .22 magnum rifle...

This. I really have no interest in an AR. None. Period. Honestly, I think I'd rather have a mini 14 if I were going for something in .223. Then, again, if I had a 10/22 and were going to get an aftermarket kit, it would end up wearing on of the M1 carbine clone kits. Those are just my tastes.

Build something like an AR in .22WMR, however, and price it at a reasonable price point and I'll be likely go through all kinds of mental convolutions to try and justify 'needing' one. Heck, for that matter I'm not that interested in a PMR-30 but if Kel Tec ever releases an RMR-30 (carbine version) and if such ever find their way to a place where normal humans can buy them, assuming they work well, I'll be very tempted.

Guest mustangdave

I got my wife a Henry Lever action in .22 magnum...she wanted to add a scope...she claims its now 'tacti-cool'...I dare not disagree...LOL. I also have a Mini-14 Tactical model...added a 4X20 scope...sling and 30 round magazines...its tacti-cool for my needs.

This. I really have no interest in an AR. None. Period. Honestly, I think I'd rather have a mini 14 if I were going for something in .223. Then, again, if I had a 10/22 and were going to get an aftermarket kit, it would end up wearing on of the M1 carbine clone kits. Those are just my tastes.

Build something like an AR in .22WMR, however, and price it at a reasonable price point and I'll be likely go through all kinds of mental convolutions to try and justify 'needing' one. Heck, for that matter I'm not that interested in a PMR-30 but if Kel Tec ever releases an RMR-30 (carbine version) and if such ever find their way to a place where normal humans can buy them, assuming they work well, I'll be very tempted.

There are rumors of that happening. And I'd be in line for one as well. And the PMR-30 is a fun range toy. Verified by me. I'd think a nice trail gun as well.

You know, there's really only about 200 FPS difference between the .22 mag and the FN5.7 with comparable bullet weights. A 34g JHP running 2150FPS is pretty bad aßß! Ammunition for the .22 mag is not expensive dependent on your point of view. If you look at it like the .22LR then yes, it's expensive but looking at it from the same point of view we see our other guns: You can get Hornady Vmax stuff for 12-15 dollars a box of 50 which ain't bad at all. It's a shame it's no reloadable. BUT, here we go again, save those cases! There are guys out there that swage their own bullets and they use rimfire cases for jackets. They'd LOVE to buy 22 mag cases to the heavier weight .22 bullets.

Guest Lester Weevils

PS-90 is a rifle that looked "weird" for awhile, been growing on me except the expense--

800px-FNPS9002.jpg

Aren't there 5.7 AR uppers that use the same mags?

A bullpup like PS-90, with similar mag design, chambered in .22 mag. As Caster said, similar velocity to 5.7. Maybe .22 mag is expensive, but isn't .22 mag less expensive and more available than 5.7?

A mag design like that, geez how big could the capacity be? If one could design the mag to properly pack the rounds in spite of the rim-- Ought to be a very high-cap, small rifle?

Thank you! That's ridiculous. And since you opened the door, I'll come right on in:

I'l start by saying, "Hey, if it turns you on, go for it." But who are you kidding with hanging crap on everything? Every gun out there doesn't need a god forsaken picatinny rail on it!!! Likewise, lasers and AR15 stocks on shotguns and AK's look ridiculous. Half that stuff is for show and no-go anyway. What's the point? That I can make my otherwise classy little 10/22 look like a mall ninja spent his paycheck on Ebay? Half that crap will break under the lightest of use.

What's sad is that many of these people are "gearing up for SHTF" and what do you expect to do with a pimped out .22?

No real professionals in the business would use that crap, why are you? BUT HEY! If you're happy....go right ahead.

Regarding Picatinny rails and "hanging crap" :

I had a light and a foregrip "hanging" on my AR-15. It was my patrol rifle. I used that light. I'm not a LEO anymore and I still think they serve an invaluable purpose.

I have a Grip on the front of one of my AR's too. I like it very much. I also have the option of putting a light there if I need it. A light on an AR, Glock, XD, M&P ect makes sense. Lights and lasers hanging on a .22, revolver or a lever gun ...... Well, there's a time and a place for most everything.

Edited by Caster

Also from what all I have read about the 5.7 it is miserly to reload. Takes the same bullets as a 223/5.56, same primers too.

Funny how it was a "new" cartridge a decade ago yet the 5.7 Johnson Spitfire is nearly identical in all respects. The Spitfire was a caliber conversion for the M-1 carbine 40+ years ago.

Dolomite