why a Glock?

Guest Brent1973

Guest Brent1973

I'm not trying to start a "fanboy" war but have to ask before i buy a handgun. Right now i'm looking to get a Beretta Px4 Storm Full Size .45ACP but others or telling me a Glock is the best? When i ask why they really can't tell me, just what they heard . So, I like the storm cause it feels good in my hand (big hands) and it looks cool. A glock just don't feel as good in my hands and does not have that cool look. BUT looks or not everything i know so why the big deal with a glock? what makes it better? what say you?just asking before i buy, thanks for the info

Guest bkelm18

I'm not trying to start a "fanboy" war but have to ask before i buy a handgun. Right now i'm looking to get a Beretta Px4 Storm Full Size .45ACP but others or telling me a Glock is the best? When i ask why they really can't tell me, just what they heard . So, I like the storm cause it feels good in my hand (big hands) and it looks cool. A glock just don't feel as good in my hands and does not have that cool look. BUT looks or not everything i know so why the big deal with a glock? what makes it better? what say you?just asking before i buy, thanks for the info

Don't listen to that BS that "Glock is the best". Maybe it's the best for THEM but it may not be the best for you. You should get what you are most comfortable with. Glocks are reliable, but most of the major players today are just as reliable. About the only thing the Glock really has the corner on is parts availability, you can buy any part you need just about anywhere. If you want a Glock, get one, but don't get one because someone said so. I hate Glocks. They feel like I'm gripping a brick. That's MY opinion and that's why I don't own any. Luckily there are tons of good alternatives out there.

Edited by bkelm18

Simple to operate and maintain due to so few and reliable "cheap" parts. Guns are all merely variations on a pipe and nail. The more complicated they get I suspect reliabity suffers whether it is due to hard use, weather, etc. I like Glocks because they are simple and you don't have to look hard for accessories or parts. If you break it or mar it who cares, its a Glock. Easy and fast to clean too. Requires little care. Sort of like the hammer I have had for 50 years.

• Like 2

Buy whatever feels good in your hands and you can shoot well.

• Glocks are known for their reliability and durability. (there have been some issues recently)
  • You can get parts almost anywhere and a five year old child could fix it.
  • Parts and accessories are also relatively inexpensive.
  • Excellent customer service.

Edited by Karnage

Buy what fits you, what you shoot well, forget the cool factor. Cool won't save your hide.

I use a Glock...issued..otherwise wouldn't own another. Just doesn't fit me well...somewhat like

a brick as another poster said.

If you have access, go to a gun store or range, rent a few & try 'em on. Go from there.

One thing to consider besides a gun feeling good in your hands is if you want a consistent trigger pull or a double action to single action transition. I like a consistent pull, but opinions differ on this. I like Glocks but if you don't like the feel of them you should definitely get something else. I like Sig Sauer best among the DA/SA guns I've fired but I prefer a consistent trigger pull for simplicity. If you like DA/SA look at Sig Sauer and CZ in addition to that Storm. If you want a consistent pull look at Smith and Wesson M&P, Walther PPQ, the new FN Herstal FNS. There are too many guns out there to buy something you don't like. That said, I like Glocks because parts are cheap and youtube can help you modify on or completely take one apart very easily. I love the simplicity. If I didn't like the Glock feel I'd check into Smith & Wesson M&P.

*One thing I'll add is that among the 4 Glocks I've owned, I've never found any ammo that would make them choke. This includes steel cased and some funky JHP stuff I found cheap.

Edited by JReedEsq
  • Like 1
Guest DHall27

I have unusually big hands myself and have a glock 23. It fits my hand exactly how I like. I have only shot the beretta 9mm (while I was in the Navy). I would not buy one personally just because I didnt like how it fit in my hand. You just have to shoot both of them and see how they feel. I have never had an issue with my glock and have put over 1000 rounds through it so far. I am no gun expert but do love my glock.

Guest Brent1973

oh wow thanks for the info!! My brother has a Springfield XD tactical 45 and i like it till i tried the beretta. I like the beretta so i'm thinking i'm going with it. Has anyone that owns the Storm have any problems with them? All i have had in the past was a S&W 357 revolver , Im planing to use the gun for my carry gun and for Hogs when hunting with my cross bow

If you like the PX4 better, get the px4. I have sold 2 glocks, and I kept my px4 (subcompact 40). Glocks are just sort of the default gun that people recommend when you ask "what gun should I get" because they do not know what you want but they do know that a glock is reliable, reasonably accurate, and modestly priced. The glock is not better. The px4 is not better. The 1911 is not better either. All these things are subject to opinion only. A few guns have a reputation for jams, malfunctions, breakage, and so on --- and if you see those same remarks about the same brands/models over and over, you should take heed. The rest of the time, select the gun you want and ignore the commentators.

However, if you are new enough to guns to be asking this sort of thing, be sure before you buy anything at all. Test fire them if you can, or if a buddy has one or you can rent one. If not, if allowed, dry fire it in the store. The grip, the weight, the balance, the trigger pull, the sights, the controls, those sorts of things are what you want to look at. If you buy that px, for example, then discover afterwards that a sloppy DA trigger is annoying and that you really wanted a single action, it is too late. If you get the glock and then realize that the thing is too light and recoils too hard, same deal. Find out as much as you can before buying because guns are not easy to return at most shops. Even if they allow it you may have to eat the background check fee.

• Like 2

You could get the PX4 now and then get the Glock after you sell the PX4 or you could just get the Glock now, your call. There are two kinds of people in this world.....those who love Glocks......and those who don't love Glocks YET!

The question is "Why Glock?" 65% of police departments use Glocks and I bet it's not because they think their pretty.

Think about all the other options in the world. They all combined make up the other 35%. police departments don't typically pick a firearm out of a hat, they do rigorous testing in different environments and make an educated decision (most of them anyway.) Maybe it's great marketing, may e Gaston just knows a lot of people in high places or maybe it's the best option out there.

• Like 1

If you plan to take care of it any quality gun you like will be fine. If you plan to use it like a chainsaw, better get a Glock. Thats why cops carry them. They work for years with lots of neglect and very little maintenance.

-Lightweight (Compare the weight a G19 with any other handgun that holds 15+1 rounds of 9mm)

-Accurate

-Trigger pull is consistent and doesn't feel junky

-Rugged

-Cheap mags

-Parts and accessories readily available and often marked down

-Cheaper than HK

There are a lot of other options out there, but none have the market share Glock has. For instance, I like Walthers, but when was the last time you saw Walther mags for 15 bucks a piece.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If it's a reasonable handgun that's cheap, the PD is going to go with it most of the time. Glock gives killer deals to police departments along with trade-in programs because their guns cost something like $100 in labor and materials to make. Then they can sell their handguns on the Civilian market for an insane markup that looks reasonable because the pros use it. Other firearm manufacturers are finally responding, but Glock has got quite a foothold.

You could get the PX4 now and then get the Glock after you sell the PX4 or you could just get the Glock now, your call. There are two kinds of people in this world.....those who love Glocks......and those who don't love Glocks YET!

The question is "Why Glock?" 65% of police departments use Glocks and I bet it's not because they think their pretty. http://www.tngunowne...in-state-of-tn/

Think about all the other options in the world. They all combined make up the other 35%. police departments don't typically pick a firearm out of a hat, they do rigorous testing in different environments and make an educated decision (most of them anyway.) Maybe it's great marketing, may e Gaston just knows a lot of people in high places or maybe it's the best option out there.

If it's a reasonable handgun that's cheap, the PD is going to go with it most of the time. Glock gives killer deals to police departments along with trade-in programs because their guns cost something like $100 in labor and materials to make. Then they can sell their handguns on the Civilian market for an insane markup that looks reasonable because the pros use it. Other firearm manufacturers are finally responding, but Glock has got quite a foothold.

Ok, let's say police departments pick the cheapest handguns on the market........if you want. But why is the pro circuit covered in Glock 34s? Sponsored shooters who don't even pay for their guns or ammunition choose Glock as much or more than police departments. I guess they have to pick the cheapest gun on the market too.

• Like 1

I think by now you should have the information that you need to answer your question. Glock makes a great pistol that is fairly priced, is inexpensive to maintain or modify and accessories are generally inexpensive. There are lots of other great pistols out there too, and I have many of the others (Ruger, S&W, Kahr, Walther, etc.). The Glock is still not my favorite, but it is a good choice for many people, and I would recommend it along with the others that I have.

Cool look?

Who are you showing it to? :)

I have a G17

The ugliest most unsexy gun ever.

Goes bang every time.

Not finicky with Ammo.

Mags and accessories and parts are everywhere and parts are cheap.

With better sights (for me Dawson) and I just changed out my trigger (Glocktriggers Skimmer) it is an excellent pistol.

Mine is a '95 police trade-in. Looks like crap, shoots great

But the G17 feels great in my hands.

Pro shooters have reasonably demonstrated that you can make a Glock DANCE if you know what you are doing.

All that said....

I like 1911's

Cool, solid, easy to shoot.

Must be tuned...can be finicky with ammo, more expensive

Ok, let's say police departments pick the cheapest handguns on the market........if you want. But why is the pro circuit covered in Glock 34s? Sponsored shooters who don't even pay for their guns or ammunition choose Glock as much or more than police departments. I guess they have to pick the cheapest gun on the market too.

Actually....yes. That is true too. They are the cheapest gun in the pro circuit. Another reason is that the GSSF really makes competition easy and the members of team glock have a lot of money thrown at them.

So yes.

Nice try trolling, but please take that stink somewhere else and stop making it in this thread.

################################

O.P. - Get what feels good in your hand. The Beretta is a gun gun and will serve you well. You will like it if that is your choice in a .45

• Like 1

I have shot about 1000 rds through my px4 fullsize.. I can say I've had No problems at all, even with the cheap steel case ammo. You should definitely shoot both before you buy, so you can know for yourself. I just wish It fit on me better I guess.

Edited by GregK

Why a Glock?

Because they go "bang" when you pull the trigger whith much more reliability than most anything else out there and they are relatively inexpensive - at this point I've been to enough multiple-day handgun classes to see lot's of better/more expensive weapons not make it through the first day withouth choaking badly.

I have far more expensive weapons than my Glocks but it's Glock I depend on for carry.

All that said, however, carry what you like so long as it's stone cold dependable because the very last thing you want to hear when facing down a threat is a "click" when you needed to hear a "bang"! :)

• Like 1

Actually....yes. That is true too. They are the cheapest gun in the pro circuit. Another reason is that the GSSF really makes competition easy and the members of team glock have a lot of money thrown at them.

So yes.

Nice try trolling, but please take that stink somewhere else and stop making it in this thread.

################################

O.P. - Get what feels good in your hand. The Beretta is a gun gun and will serve you well. You will like it if that is your choice in a .45

Dude you lost me! What are you talking about? I'm answering the question in the title.

Trolling According to Wiki:

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted".

• Like 1
Guest brighac

I think that everyone's responses are accurate, its nice to have a gun that fits your hand nice, the sounds it makes, your father had one... They are all things that are about you and not the gun.... My personal opinion is that blocks are the best, because they are reliable... They have come up with their own material to make the guns. I think that speaks for its self...

Guest Brent1973

ok, look. All i did was ask a question about hand guns on a gun forum. I'm new to this forum and although i have had guns in the past, its been a while and a lot of things have changed in that time.That said, what i get from all the replies is that it's 100% my choice. i get that. thanks for all the info and the opinions.

I see there or some strong feelings in this so ill end it here... what i'm seeing is if you like them, then there the best, if you don't then there no good . Again,thanks for all the help and am looking forward to a lot of time spent here reading and learning....

Edited by Brent1973