M60 or LCR

chances R

S&W M-60 is stainless steel and heavier than the LCR. given that for pocket or ankle carry I'd rather go with the LCR. For IWB or OWB holster carry it'd be the M-60, I like my S&W wheel gun's.

This. Although the 2 I have get very little carry. One was my dad's, one from my father-in-law. More sentimental value for me than anything else. But that's not to say they aren't a viable choice for me should the need arise.

S&W M-60 is stainless steel and heavier than the LCR. given that for pocket or ankle carry I'd rather go with the LCR. For IWB or OWB holster carry it'd be the M-60, I like my S&W wheel gun's.

I agree with the above statement, and I will add that the model 60 will likely be a more enjoyable shooter because of the additional weight. I have a 60, but do not have an LCR....might get an LCR-22 someday though. :up:

I have a couple LCRs and I like them. I have only owned one 60 and don't own it any longer. I recently shot a friends Pro Series Mdl 60. Nice gun but I did't like the balance or the stock trigger. The 60 is a great gun that can be nicely tuned but the LCR has a pretty nice stock trigger, but the stroke is longer than a 60's.

I took my wife to Guns and Leather in Greenbriar to pull some triggers. Her favorite trigger was the LCR. There were some S&W revolvers she literally could not pull the trigger on. She likes the weight when she puts it in a jacket pocket, it's less obvious since the right side is not sagging so low. It's no fun at the range, but that's what the Ruger GP100 is for. She shoots the LCR fine with +P ammo though.

I like Smith triggers better than the LCR. The LCR has a nice trigger, but it felt a bit like a cap gun trigger to me. I like smooth consistent trigger pulls for DA revolvers, whic the Smiths I've shot have. If her BF is buying and she doesn't mind the extra ounces, there's nothing wrong with that choice.

"A model 60 with a shroud"?? That sounds like what I carry, a S&W 649.

26283.jpg

The big difference between the 649 and the LCR is weight. The Smith is 23oz empty, the Ruger 17.1oz. At a quick glance the Smith will probably run you about $150 more than the Ruger,. I haven't heard anything bad about the LCR series but haven't tried firing one myself. I have no problem pocket carrying a 649, but the extra weight may make a difference for you. The extra weight makes firing 38+P and .357 much less punishing, but drags on the pocket more. As someone with arthritis I'm willing to allow for the extra weight. It makes a big difference for me.

If you want lighter and don't need/want the extra weight, that $150 could be put towards a set of laser grips, which IMO are the second best thing you can do for a small ccw gun like a j-frame revolver. (#1 is buy a case of ammo and practice with it a lot)

My recommendation is that if you can arrange to do so, try shooting an example of each. I'd offer to let you shoot my 649 but we're not exactly neighbors. ;)

Id say the M60 is a little large for CC. Might I suggest this instead?

fn_minimi_m249.jpg

M249 SAW. Far more compact but still i think you might need a really big purse for CC.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

yep, that was my thinking also

What the hell. how do you even try to compare those to each other

he must have done it, to make me look and it worked! :)

Guest TresOsos

Tell the BF to butt out esspecially if she is footing the bill. She should get what she likes and feels confident with.

Pesonally I'd take any Standard or Airweight S&W J-Frame over any revolver of plastic/metal construction and that includes S&W's polymer Bodyguard.

Edit to add: I also hope that there is a good 4" steel revolver around for her to practice with( unless she is already proficient), because extended meaningful practice with any of the lightweight revolvers is going to be punishing.

Edited by TresOsos

Well I have a whole safe full of revolvers and of those the wifes LCR may be the most accurate, the lightest, and have the smoothest trigger. My Smith's all have nastalgia and appeal. A LCR 38 weighs 13oz and is almost half the weight as some revolvers the same size. Draw backs of the LCR is they don't recommend lead bullets, as well as holster and grip selections are few.