Sign in to follow this  
Handsome Rob

Cabelas (Investarm) .54 flintlock Hawken

Totally refinished Cabelas Hawken here.

I bought it as a 'finished' kit rifle. Unfortunately it looked like it'd been finished by a very slow 12 year old with no wood or metalworking experience.

I've stripped off the horrible Browning & given it a light grey 'antique' patina. The stock has been re-inlet for everything. This means that the wood to metal fit isn't perfect, but the gaps are at least even all around the metalwork!

The lock has been timed & tuned to fire perfectly every time with Rich Pierce 5/8" English flints. the touch-hole was reamed out to 5/32" & coned inside & out for ultra fast, reliable ignition.

I've refinished the stock with a mixture of leather dyes & a single coat of Tru-Oil. It's waterproof, but still has a nice matt-satin finish.

Unfortunately, the barrel was junk when I bought it. The last inch behing the muzzle was a rust, pitted wreck. So I've lopped it off, milled it flat, re-crowned the muzzle & re-fit the front sight into a fresh dovetail & re-fit the underrib.

I replaced the standard, hardly adjustable Investarms triggers with a set of RE Davis double set triggers. Unset, the pull is a hunting friendly 4½lb. Set the trigger & it breaks like a glass rod at 4oz.

The rear sight has been switched out from the horrible adjustable box affair, for a nice, relatively PC full buckhorn. It's sighted absolutely dead-nut at 75yds, 1½" high at 50 & 2" low at 100 with 85gn of FFFG goex, a .530 ball & .018 ticking lubed with Moose snot.

I'll throw in a few spare flints & a forged vent-pick.

Price:$300.00 with the Davis triggers

$250 with the standard trigger set.

13a.jpg

13b.jpg

13c.jpg

13d.jpg

13f.jpg

Edited by TGO David

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Grand Torino
      All are the same blade made from 1084 carbon steel 1/8" thick. They are full flat grinds with a 3 1/2" cutting edge and 8 1/4" length. All come with combo leather/kydex sheath, brass pins/lanyard tube and have a black oxide finish.  They have jimping on the spine in two places . In the photos you'll notice my index finger up near the tip and that's where the second area of jimping is. It will give you better control if needed. I also added bright colored liners to help locate them easier if you lay it in the weeds. These are $65 each....buy two for you and a friend and it with be $120 shipped to you. 
      1. Dark brown old stock canvas micarta with lime green liners.

OD canvas micarta with yellow liners.

3. Medium brown canvas micarta with orange liners

Thanks for lookin'!
    • By Ridin1
      Remington long range, stainless-steel barreled action in Master Piece Arms Comp BA chassis. I used this rifle solely for long range shooting & have hit 24” targets at 1900 yards. Chassis has been weighted, has standard & offset check riser, bag rider, spigot bipod mount & rest stop for competition shooting. 20moa rail. Rifle has 400 or so rounds through it. Barrel was carefully broken in, has never had solvent or a metal brush ran through it. Burris XTR-2, 5-25x50, 34mm tube scope with the SCR reticle in mills was just inspected & received a clean bill of health from Burris. Bi-pod is a 9-11” infinitely adjustable leg all aluminum unit & does not cant which is perfect for precision shooting. Local gun smith could not thread the barrel so I put a Witt Machine break on it. Rifle comes with roughly 100 pieces of new/primed brass, roughly a couple hundred rounds of prepped once-fired, some non-prepped brass & 60 or so ready to shoot rounds. All hornaday brass & Hornaday Match projectiles. You will get all my load data which has been meticulously refined with a lab radar & powder weights for two different weight hornaday match projectiles. The load data in my opinion is as valuable as the rifle. You will also get the competition seating die, the ammo boxes pictured, the bag riser pictured & a couple fiberglass rods for field cleaning. I purchased everything new & am the only person to use any of it. Everything is in as new condition. I have a big Plano case that might be worked into the deal but is not included in the price listed above. If you are interested PM me your phone number & I’ll call. 

• By justincase
      I have a used and in excellent condition Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS. I has about 100 rounds through it. It will come with all original equipment from Glock.
      $800 or best offer
      Paypal Friends and Family or Venmo for payment. I will also pay for shipping to the FFL of your choice.

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines