New Frontier Armory polymer AR lower??

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never heard of that manufactorer either. We've had a few of the Plumb Crazy lowers come into the shop for trigger work. To install a trigger the new componets had to machined to make them fit. The PC's are not exactly mil-spec. Check around for reviews on the New Frontier polymer lower...Dave

I have never heard of that manufactorer either. We've had a few of the Plumb Crazy lowers come into the shop for trigger work. To install a trigger the new componets had to machined to make them fit. The PC's are not exactly mil-spec. Check around for reviews on the New Frontier polymer lower...Dave

Not even remotely close to mil spec. There is nothing about a polymer lower than can be mil spec.

Dolomite

I've already ordered one. Should actually be able to pick it up today or tomorrow I hope from Farnsworth. When I do I'll post pics and give my 2 cents worth. Reason I bought it was for my wife's .22lr project. Figured it wouldn't be a bad choice for a dedicated .22lr upper considering I'd doubt the wife would even shoot 1000rnds out of it in 10 yrs so it should hold up just fine for a cheap product. We'll see though......

For poops and giggles until I get my .22lr upper in, I may put my 5.56 upper on it to check out general fit and finish. I've heard these are much like the Plum Crazy's as far as tight fit goes. If I'm frisky after that, I may hit Norris range and try it out.....

No thanks

Why not?? Cheap lower for a beater type rifle.....great price point and it's not like the parts in or on the lower are expensive anyways.....not like it's going to see combat or anything. I think it'll be fine for the normal "range" person......

There are several big name makers who are making polymer firearms. In the AR it is the barrel extension and the bolt that contain all the stresses and pressures of firing. If all you are going to be doing is shooting it the weapon should be fine. It is when you get into using the weapon for other stuff like hand to hand or generally hard use that you are going to have problems with the connection between the upper and lower as well as the barrel and upper receiver connection. Another known weak point is where the receiver extension (buffer tube) is threaded into the lower.

I would make sure not to abuse it and only use it as a range toy. Even in 5.56 it should be fine.

Dolomite

For the one I've bought, it'll be a range toy for the wife. Lord knows she won't abuse it and I don't fore see any issues ......BUT if it turns out to be a decent piece, I may buy another (since they are cheap) and put it through some good use to see how they'd really stand up.

Looks interesting. I hope it stands up to the reviews. Might have to get one.

I have dealt with Frontier on one of there uppers with a Blackhole Barrel with three groove polygonal rifling. It was a accurate and first rate upper. They are nice people to deal with also.

Edited by R1100R

I won Cavalry Arms lower/stock/grip once. I managed to break the seam putting in pins, they replaced it no questions asked. The second one I reamed the pin holes to properly fit and had no other issues with. Put a Bushy upper on it and it functioned fine. Last I heard current owner was satisfied with it.

I realize Cav is a differnt manufacturer, just my two cents on building on a plastic lower receiver.

The fit was good, no gaps. It has metal pins vs. the plastic the PlumCrazys' have. There are a few area's of "flashing" that could be knocked off or down but don't hurt the functionality of it. Over all, I'm happy with my $120 complete lower. I had a chance to fire 2 full mags with it and had no issues. Trigger is decent and breaks about where my aluminum one does.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Looking at those pics and looking at my Plum Crazy at the same time... they look exactly the same. Internal dimensions, external dimensions, internal parts. Even the square outlining the logo on the right side of the magwell is the same size and position. The only difference I can find is the name molded inside the square. I have a feeling that they are made by the same manufacturer and have different names stamped (molded) on them. Much like regular AL lowers.

Oh, the PC has steel hammer and trigger pins. The takedown and pivot pin are polymer.

The PC did cost me a few more dollars, I think. But not much.

Will

Looking at those pics and looking at my Plum Crazy at the same time... they look exactly the same. Internal dimensions, external dimensions, internal parts. Even the square outlining the logo on the right side of the magwell is the same size and position. The only difference I can find is the name molded inside the square. I have a feeling that they are made by the same manufacturer and have different names stamped (molded) on them. Much like regular AL lowers.

Oh, the PC has steel hammer and trigger pins. The takedown and pivot pin are polymer.

The PC did cost me a few more dollars, I think. But not much.

Will

I've heard they are from the same manufacture.....I've also heard the name "PlumCrazy" has given the company some issues with contracts which is why they changed the name. Not sure, just what I've heard around the water cooler. Some of the PC's I've seen have plastic trigger pins but all have had steel hammers. I'll say these will go up to the cost of the PC's eventually after they gain a bit of popularity.

Edited by kwe45919

If you ever replace the FCG with metal let me know. I am in need of a plastic FCG for a suppressed gun. I am trying to get it as quiet as possible but still getting the steel on steel clank.

Dolomite

If you want to do all the work and will ensure functionality when returned, I don't care to swap. I bought the lower to play with anyways. The clacky noise don't bother me..........

Guest VolDaddy

Not trying to derail this, but if price it the factor, check out the Delaware stripped lowers at R Guns. I purchased one and am happy with it. They are like $65 for the stripped lower. Parts kits can be picked up for about 50-60 bucks. But once you build one you want to build more.

I'm surprised that some manufacturer doesn't try to make a lower out of carbon fiber. That is a strong, yet lightweight material.

Because carbon fiber is layed in layers for it's strength. Making a lower out of layers would create unique problems that would increase costs to make the lower. Perhaps they could use short strand carbon fiber in the substrate but you would give up a lot of carbon fiber's strength.

Or maybe make a block of layers then machine a lower out of that. That could work and keep costs lower while maintaining most of the strength.

If someone wanted the lightest possible lower one could machine a lot of material away without affecting serviceability. I have considered machining windows in the mag well to lighten. As we as cheese holes in the area under the handgrip. Also removing the fencing would take off weight as well. For the upper I would machine down the center of the rail on top. Take a 3/8" wide cutter and remove as much as you can. All you need is the outside for the rails to be useable. Not have an ejection port or forward assist.

Just some wild ramblings of mine.

Dolomite

I've seen carbon fiber used in lots of applications, and it is extremely strong. It wouldn't take that many layers to be stronger than a polymer gun either, maybe one. I just think it could be done and would be lightweight. It would look really good too.