Primary Arms micro dot vs Aimpoint

I am looking at new optic choices for my flat top AR15. I have been undecided between an Aimpoint Micro H-1 or Eotech XPS2. Now I am really torn because I keep hearing good things about PA. If i go with a PA, it would be nice to put the $400+ saved towards another purchase or ammo. This rife is a range gun, but it's also part of my SHTF plan. I want something good and reliable.

I am a firm believer in you almost always get what you pay for, but I also know that sometimes you pay for a name. Is PA trust-your-life-to-it quality like aimpoint and eotech, or is it better suited for range/plinking purposes only?

Who's had good/bad experiences with Primary Arms Micro Dot?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a PA Micro Dot for my AR and it was a fine optic. It held zero and seemed well built. I recently sold it after I got an Aimpoint PRO. In a way, it's comparing apples and oranges, but I made the switch due to the reputation that Aimpoint has and I have clear evidence that the Aimpoint is made to survive abuse. My feeling is to get the best you can afford and balance that with your needs and wants. I wanted an optic with a larger field of view and one that I knew was able to hold up to extreme use - just in case. I spent 10 years as a cop and who knows whether I'll return to the streets at some point. I don't know if the PA would hold up like an Aimpoint, but for my limited use, it did just fine for range use and some 3 Gun shooting.

I had a PA Micro Dot for my AR and it was a fine optic. It held zero and seemed well built. I recently sold it after I got an Aimpoint PRO. In a way, it's comparing apples and oranges, but I made the switch due to the reputation that Aimpoint has and I have clear evidence that the Aimpoint is made to survive abuse. My feeling is to get the best you can afford and balance that with your needs and wants. I wanted an optic with a larger field of view and one that I knew was able to hold up to extreme use - just in case. I spent 10 years as a cop and who knows whether I'll return to the streets at some point. I don't know if the PA would hold up like an Aimpoint, but for my limited use, it did just fine for range use and some 3 Gun shooting.

It seems like it would be apples to oranges based on the price, but what makes it so in actual comparison? The larger field of view is something I hadn't really taken into consideration, but that's something to think about. I get that the Aimpoint is "military grade" and should last longer, but I have not heard of anyone having a PA fail. I have the funds to spring for an Aimpoint, but that would put another planned purchase on hold. Thanks for the input.

Get the PA to start with and build your ammo stock pile. Optics can go out but iron sights will prevail, therefore a PA optic + ammo for your money is the better choice.

Now, I was the one who bought Patriot's PA microdot. Decided to go cheap and build ammo for now and get a quality optic later when I have mastered the rifle. I have been to the range and put about 500rnds through my AR with it on.......no issues and held zero. I subjected it to a minor ammount of abuse and still no issues. My buddy even dropped the rifle from about 3ft (by accident) and still haven't had to turn a knob on it yet to re-zero.....

Trust my life to the PA? No, but then again realistically I don't plan on being in any life or death scenarios where the difference is my optic and I'm not backed up my a few Blackhawks. ;)

The PA's are nice but I really like the Vortex Strikefires or the Vortex SPARC better. I went with the SPARC. Lifetime warranties and they have proven to hold up under abuse.

I considered the exact same question a while back and couldn't find any real negatives to the PA Optic. I had decided I didn't need an Aimpoint right before I traded away a pistol I didn't need for an Aimpoint Micro. Did I need it? Probably not. I'll likely grab a shotgun or a pistol in an emergency situation so my AR is really just a toy that I only shoot a few times a year. Am I glad I have the Aimpoint? Yeah, it's neat, it's not for sale and it gives me the warm fuzzies knowing I have it. If I didn't have it though, I'd probably just buy the Primary Arms optic. I read every review I could find on them and they seem to be a great bang for the buck.

I have a Millett Zoom Dot that is built like a tank. When I bought it the cost was comparable to a used AImpoint, ~$350. They are now made by Bushnell but should be a decent mid level red dot sight for the price of ~$250. My Millet was used and abused overseas but never lost zero or had any other issues with it. It also has a auto sensing feature that dims or brightens the sight automatically based on ambient light. The side knob controls the dot size, changing it from 1 MOA dot to a 10 MOA dot. It makes making more precise shots easier by turning down the reticle size.The battery life on the Zoom Dot is ~1,300 hours in a well lit area if left on. It can also be turned off. Another great feature is it has no wires, only a thin wafer of electronics that can easily be replaced by the end user. It uses standard Aimpoint batteries ot two LR44/LR76 or comparables.

I also have a Burris Fast Fire and it also has the auto sensing feature. Both it and the Zoom Dot have been on several weapons systems and have never failed. The Fast Fire has had the same battery in it for at least 3 years now. I rarely turn it off and it spends about 1/2 the time in well lit areas and the other 1/2 in dark areas. It too has never given me any issues.

The auto sensing feature is what made me decide to give them a try. Others around me, as well as myself, were always changing the brightness on our Aimpoints or Eotechs. Seemed like it was something everyone was doing at the same time, almost like clockwork. With the Aimpoints I have used in the past they were either washed out by direct sunlight if it wasn't turned up high enough or balloned if it was too high entering the dark.

The auto sensing feature, for me, is something I look for in a red dot. It just makes it easier if you are transitioning from indoor to outdoor enviroments.

If you haven't looked into them you might give the Zoom Dot a look. If you are ever in the Knoxville area you are more than welcome to shoot my Zoom Dot that offer goes for anyone local to me as well. I'll toss it in the bag my next trip to Norris. It is an intersting optic that works extremely well.

http://www.opticspla...riflescope.html

Dolomite

This is the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks everyone.

Thanks Dolomite for the offer to shoot the Millet! I'll keep that in mind the next time I am up that way. I wasn't familiar with that sight, but it looks really nice. I can see how the auto sensing would be helpful, and it's a feature I had not considered. Good to know it holds up well. I'll have to take a closer look at this one.

Marshall at PA will tell you strait up. If you depend on your rifle for SHTF/SD buy aimpoint/eotech But for a range gun he stands behind his Micros and Other RDS with confidence.

I have an Aimpoint CompML3, and the Primary Arms knockoff of the same optic. I bought both of them from Marshall. I think the Aimpoint is a much better optic, but that doesn't mean it's worth the difference to YOU. The PA will work well, and if it doesn't, Marshall will replace it.

Buy with confidence. If you want the best, get the Aimpoint.