How do you carry your semiauto?

Guest MrsS

Ladies,

I was just wondering...if you carry a semiauto, do you carry it with a round chambered?

I am new to carrying my gun and currently carry it with the safety off and no ammo in the chamber. Do I need to possibly reconsider this? My issue, amongst other things, would be the risk of it accidentally firing.

Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MrsS each of us has to make that decision for ourselves, what might be comfortable for me may not be something you feel comfortable with and vice versa. With that being said, all three of my guns are semi autos and whichever one I carry always has one in the chamber and ready while carrying and I am OK with that decision.

Personally for me it is a matter of wanting to always be ready if I ever needed it. If something were to happen I am not sure we will have time to chamber a round and I doubt the BG would give us time to rack the slide on our pistols :rolleyes:

MrsS, Yes, I would definitely reconsider carrying without a round chambered. What kind of a semi-auto do you carry? If it has a safety, then by all means carry a round chambered with the safety on. Just make sure you are so familiar with shooting the gun that taking the safety off before you shoot becomes second nature.

If you need to draw your gun and use it fast (especially in a high stress situation), having to rack the slide before you shoot could cost you your life. You could be so frightened and have so much adrenaline flowing that even if you have time to rack the slide, there's a good chance that you might not get it fully racked and the gun might not chamber the round or it could be "out of battery."

I carry a Glock 27 in a belly band or sometimes a fanny pack. Both of these methods of carry would be considered "unconventional." Glocks don't have a manual safety and carrying them without the trigger gaurd being completly and securely covered (like they would be in a conventional holster) could (not very likely, but still possible) result in an AD (accidental discharge). I never worried about it until I had my son, and with him grabbing me and climbing all over me.....it kind of made me think about how I could carry my Glock with a round chambered safer. So, after checking out a couple different options, I purchased a "Saf-T-Blok" for my Glock. It's just a small plastic piece that fits behind the trigger to keep the trigger from being pulled. All it takes is a quick tap on the side with my trigger finger to pop the Blok out, and it's ready to fire. I like it and I feel safer carrying my Glock "unconventionally" with my son around. Here's a picture of the safe-t-blok if anyone might be interested. Guns&Dobes and Natosha....you guys might want to check into these.

DSC01021.JPGDSC01020.JPG