S&W M&P 15X

MrBrian

What are you looking to spend/ budgets? My suggestion would be to look at all the offerings in your price range. Research reviews of those rifles and then try to get your hands on some of them and shoot them if possible. Since this is your first AR don't rush out get the first one see. There are so many options out there. Personally I don't have any experience with S&W ARs, but I haven't come across any negative press on them either.

Ours is a s&w M&P something, slightly different model but all in all we have been well pleased. It is right on accurate up to 100 yards ( have not tried it much past that) using a variety of ammo, does not jam, well made and well put together. I do not think *I* could have built a better one from parts, if I had it would have cost more and probably had issues to work out. It is an excellent gun at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

What are your thoughts? Anyone have a 15X?

I went with the “T†instead of the “X†because I didn’t want the A2 post (I use optics on everything). But the M&P’s are very high quality and should you need it they have the best CS in the business. Top of the line American made iron; you can buy cheaper, but I don’t think you will find better.

Guest Darthlaidher

I've had zero issues with 2 previous M&P rifles. Great guns, truly not given enough credit among internet boards

Don't know, I haven't seen to many people put down the M&P 15 on the boards I visit. From what I understand its a solid gun, it just doesn't come with a dust cover or forward assist which really you don't need any way.

Guest ExTexan

Glad I saw this! I am probably going to have to go with the Sport model, but I am glad to hear that it seems to be a pretty solid rifle. Cant wait to get it.

Don't know, I haven't seen to many people put down the M&P 15 on the boards I visit. From what I understand its a solid gun, it just doesn't come with a dust cover or forward assist which really you don't need any way.

That's the Sport model only AFAIK. "M&P15" covers a variety of of S&W AR models.

- OS

Guest Darthlaidher

That's the Sport model only AFAIK. "M&P15" covers a variety of of S&W AR models.

- OS

Oh oops, I'm use to seeing the sport model mentioned.

Guest TresOsos

I have had a 15x for a few years, not the first problem with it, have between 2 and 3K rounds thru it.

Works fine with current GI mags, PMags and even the older 70's and 80's era AR Mags.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

So, I'm trying to attach a Magpul ASAP single point to my M&P 15X, but I can't get the castle nut off!!!! I've already scratched the fire out of it, so I've got a new one ordered.... but I still can't get this one off!!! Any tips or tricks?

So, I'm trying to attach a Magpul ASAP single point to my M&P 15X, but I can't get the castle nut off!!!! I've already scratched the fire out of it, so I've got a new one ordered.... but I still can't get this one off!!! Any tips or tricks?

It’s staked (probably in two places), remove some of the staking. You will need a good stock wrench. If you don’t have a good wrench and a way to hold the lower; take it to someone.

Take it to Predator Custom Shop. They wil be glad to do it for you and there prices are very reasonable considering the damage you are probably going to do trying to get it off. You can ruin your gun without the right tools.

And I would be willing to bet you spent more on the replacement parts than what they are going to charge you to install it.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

Get you a Tapco castle nut wrench. You will break the stakes as you remove it. NBD.

My Tapco wrench just came in the mail today, and I tapped it with a rubber mallet and it loosened right up! It's amazing what you can do when you have the proper tools... got it attached with no problems after getting that off! Thanks for all the help! By the way, is the M&P 15 considered a mil spec? Or commercial? What's the difference?

My first AR shooting experience was a very pleasant one indeed. I was surprised at how easy it was to hit targets at 100-150 yards without any problems at all. It was almost like if I put the front post anywhere on the target, I was hitting it... I never realized how forgiving the peep sight is. I'm pleased with my setup and I can't wait to attach a Eotech in the future

My Tapco wrench just came in the mail today, and I tapped it with a rubber mallet and it loosened right up! It's amazing what you can do when you have the proper tools... got it attached with no problems after getting that off! Thanks for all the help! By the way, is the M&P 15 considered a mil spec? Or commercial? What's the difference?

Should be Mil-Spec

• 6 months later...
Guest robin.kempton

I'm purchasing a Smith and Wesson M&P15 OR (optics ready). It comes with the Magpul flip up front and rear sights, forward assist and dust cover. As soon as I get back from the sand box its getting an EOtech halo sight. Can't wait to shoot it. Loved the fit, finish and all the different furniture available to make it my own. Great weapon. :up: