Bugging Out

Lately I've been watching that Prepper's show on Nat Geo. Maybe I'm weird, but I just don't buy into much of their paranoia. I do however, believe in being generally prepared to bug out if need be. I am trained and capable of living off the land, so my bug out bag is light with only core needs for doing so. It contains a tent, ax, knives, comm gear, fire creation gear, backpacking stove, 500 rnds of 22LR, a few MREs, water purification gear, layered clothing and sleeping bag. My BOB also serves as my back country camping/hiking pack.

I was thinking of including a handgun, but it seems too heavy. And if I ever bug out, it is to the hills. Opinions? What would you take?

Guest bkelm18

Keep in mind that lots of other people are going to be "bugging out" to the hillls as well. Personally, I don't really foresee an event that would cause me to live off the land for any real period of time. For me, bugging out simply means grabbing a pre-made bag with my gear and basic provisions that will last me a few days until I can reach an area uneffected by whatever disaster that has taken place. Could a global or nationwide disaster take place? Sure, but I think what is much more likely to happen is a regional or local event, such as earthquakes, flooding, or general unrest. Anyway, to answer your question, I will be carrying a handgun and will have about 100 rnds of ammo in my kit.

Yep going to the hills. To steal someone elses line from another thread "hey BK whas up? Got any food?" No Mike, ate it all in the last couple of days, ask the people sitting there next to us, maybe they got some"

I ain't leaving until forced to. Got a three day setup in the truck so i could maybe get home.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 1

Hmmm... Well, since I'm kinda' sorta' already in "the hills" I don't guess I'll take anything. Or maybe I'll do just the opposite of the general trend and head to the city - boy, wouldn't that screw with people's heads?

So, back to the OP: What will I take? Um, tumpline bedroll w/wool blankets rather than sleeping bag (wool retains its insulating properties when wet), fire starting stuff, something to carry water in, something to boil water in, hardtack, flour & cornmeal, tea, heavy bladed knife (to serve as both knife and small axe), whatever weapon/firearm I feel would best suit the situation at the time w/ammo, small brass compass and a deck of playing cards.

I can say this to all of those planning on bugging out to the hills. I will defend what is mine, including land, from any squatters or looters. After all if you show up and try to take what isn't yours you are a thief. I may have more than I need to survive but I will not share any of it with complete strangers. I have made preparations to ensure my survivability and I would be a fool to give any of it up to complete strangers.

And what makes the average person think they are going to make it ouf of a population center before 50% of the other people leaving the cities clog the roadways? What is going to happen is the highways are going to clog like Rita/ Katrina leaving leaving them stranded and with the option of walking to the "hills" or back to the cities. The average person is going to have an easier time surviving in the city than in the "hills". The city are easier to defend, heat and survive in for the average person used to living in the city.

People have this grand illusion that they are going to be able to find virgin land to live off of. Look around, how much public land do you see? And of that how much is going to be free for the taking, not much if any, by the time they make it?

With that being said a Ruger 22/45 with a PacLite upper is very lightweight and accurate enough to hunt with. Or get a Keltec PMR-30 for something even lighter with a little more firepower.

Dolomite

• Like 3

I've been working on a new plan that I have developed. Some people want to bug out, some will bug in but I plan to 'bug around'. I'm working toward being mobile while bugging in. When the big one hits, I feel it best to stay put but detach myself from the rooted position of my home. Staying put but working out of my camper and treating my current position as though it were a bug out position. I dont care to elaborate too much, but great focus would be on being mobile all the while trying to carry as normal as possible. Depending on how people are reacting I may ease around known positions of good cover watching the small community in which I live. Not actually going far but not being static either.

My preference is to "bug in" if possible, but I have what I need to go mobile if necessary. I just don't see the advantage of heading to the hills over staying in a structure where all of your belongings are. I can't help but believe it would be much easier to defend your home than it would be to protect yourself, your family, and your gear while roaming through the wildnerness. Obviously, situations can always change and make this impossible, but I think the best chance for survival is to stay put, take full advantage of the shelter and supplies you have on hand, and try to organize with neighbors.

Guest Lester Weevils

I'm a bug-in guy unless there is no other choice. Here is a possibly silly idea-- Ya'll tell me-- Power line right-of-ways crisscross urban and suburban areas and out into the countryside--

Normally it seems rare that people venture out on the powerline right-of-way. People stay in their homes, yards, and streets. Hardly anybody pays attention to the powerline right-of-ways. A bear, coyote, "black panther", "sasquatch" or "chupa cabra" could easily walk straight thru a city on "slightly overgrown" powerline right of ways without even one of the million city residents ever noticing? Of the powerline right-of-ways I've examined, they are typically a little overgrown but ought to be much easier than bushwhacking dense forest?

Was trying to imagine-- In an anarchic crash with people going nuts-- Streets clogged with broke-down vehicles-- If you hike out on endless city and burb streets then there could be predators laying in wait on every block? However, unless people suddenly change their perceptions amd attention patterns, then most urban/burb predators will hunt for prey in houses and streets? Folks raised from birth to perceive based on streets, stores and houses-- Those folk don't seem likely to stalk powerline right-of-ways because they don't even know the right-of-ways exist?

If one had to fall back from urban/burb territory-- Then load up a multi-day hike pack then walk out following the powerline right-of-ways? Assuming TVA had not just recently bush-hogged the right-of-way strip, then you might hike out of the city un-noticed? Set up "stealth" camp in the underbrush every night, if it takes awhile to hike out?

Alternately, if you only expect a few days of anarchy until the national guard arrives-- But you need to avoid crazy people until the calvary arrives-- Maybe temporarily hiding in a powerline right-of-way would make more sense than hiking way out into unfamiliar countryside?

Please feel free to correct any and all errors in reasoning or fact. Thanks.

Edited by Lester Weevils

First thing you need to keep in mind is Nat Geo's doomsday prepper show is like any other tv show; it is all about ratings. They are less interested in normal looking people who present rational thought in a clear well spoken way compared to the sensationalism of watching some obese jackass riding around in a golf cart with a plate carrier and M1A.

On bugging out......

I'm an avid outdoorsman. I spent most my teenage years running around the swamps camping, hunting and fishing. I've had the good fortune to travel most of the country and have done numerous backpacking trips in some very remote areas for weeks at a time. I love practicing bushcraft, and primitive/wilderness living skills as often as time allows. With that, I have to echo what East_TN_Patriot said, I'm bugging in if at all possible.

Hmmm... Well, since I'm kinda' sorta' already in "the hills" I don't guess I'll take anything. Or maybe I'll do just the opposite of the general trend and head to the city - boy, wouldn't that screw with people's heads?

So, back to the OP: What will I take? Um, tumpline bedroll w/wool blankets rather than sleeping bag (wool retains its insulating properties when wet), fire starting stuff, something to carry water in, something to boil water in, hardtack, flour & cornmeal, tea, heavy bladed knife (to serve as both knife and small axe), whatever weapon/firearm I feel would best suit the situation at the time w/ammo, small brass compass and a deck of playing cards.

Oh, and by the way - I don't mind sharing information and ideas and postulating on this 'n' that. In fact, I find it down right enjoyable. BUT, if anyone thinks for half a heartbeat that I'm going to reveal accurate, detailed information regarding my exact gear, plans or location in the event of SHTF/TEOTWAWKI scenario, they're just plain nucking futs. But hey, it's nice to know that others will have neat stuff I can use if I see them first. :pleased:

Edited by Timestepper

My preference is to "bug in" if possible, but I have what I need to go mobile if necessary. I just don't see the advantage of heading to the hills over staying in a structure where all of your belongings are. I can't help but believe it would be much easier to defend your home than it would be to protect yourself, your family, and your gear while roaming through the wildnerness. Obviously, situations can always change and make this impossible, but I think the best chance for survival is to stay put, take full advantage of the shelter and supplies you have on hand, and try to organize with neighbors.

That's pretty much my plan. I feel comfortable with the prospect of just sitting tight where I am, unless something happens to Sequoyah. In that case, I am a mere 10 miles away and would probably need to move. A lot of things (earthquake, major flood on the TN river, terrorist action, accident, etc.) could lead to a problem, but I think an actual nuclear leak from there is remote. Still, I am prepared to bug-out if necessary, but my "Plan A" is to bug-in.

I'm a bug-in guy unless there is no other choice. Here is a possibly silly idea-- Ya'll tell me-- Power line right-of-ways crisscross urban and suburban areas and out into the countryside--

Normally it seems rare that people venture out on the powerline right-of-way. People stay in their homes, yards, and streets. Hardly anybody pays attention to the powerline right-of-ways. A bear, coyote, "black panther", "sasquatch" or "chupa cabra" could easily walk straight thru a city on "slightly overgrown" powerline right of ways without even one of the million city residents ever noticing? Of the powerline right-of-ways I've examined, they are typically a little overgrown but ought to be much easier than bushwhacking dense forest?

Was trying to imagine-- In an anarchic crash with people going nuts-- Streets clogged with broke-down vehicles-- If you hike out on endless city and burb streets then there could be predators laying in wait on every block? However, unless people suddenly change their perceptions amd attention patterns, then most urban/burb predators will hunt for prey in houses and streets? Folks raised from birth to perceive based on streets, stores and houses-- Those folk don't seem likely to stalk powerline right-of-ways because they don't even know the right-of-ways exist?

If one had to fall back from urban/burb territory-- Then load up a multi-day hike pack then walk out following the powerline right-of-ways? Assuming TVA had not just recently bush-hogged the right-of-way strip, then you might hike out of the city un-noticed? Set up "stealth" camp in the underbrush every night, if it takes awhile to hike out?

Alternately, if you only expect a few days of anarchy until the national guard arrives-- But you need to avoid crazy people until the calvary arrives-- Maybe temporarily hiding in a powerline right-of-way would make more sense than hiking way out into unfamiliar countryside?

Please feel free to correct any and all errors in reasoning or fact. Thanks.

That's a pretty good idea if the situation warrants. An "off-the-radar" road system. The addition of a good machete (Condor Golok... my personal favorite) to a bug-out bag might prove useful. Also, something for chiggars.

Our plan is to stay put, but be ready to move at a moments notice to a location where we have family. The biggest thing we have to worry about is clean water. I have the bathtubs and the water heater the hold upwards of 200 gallons.

As for the Power Line R.O.W., that's not a bad idea, but you won't move a lot of stuff that way, just you. Be aware that TVA didn't really worry too much about what the terrain on those looked like. Some of them are steeper than all get out and could be hard to navigate. I would think though, that a power line would be a veritable smorgasbord of eatible small furry animals like birds, rabbits, ground squirrels and other rodents. With some fine nets and some snare wires and a little know how, you could keep yourself fed is need be! Make sure you have some source of carbs to go with all that protein.

I've heard great things about the Condor Golok. I think you would be well served with one.

Edited by Moped

If I am "bugging out" it is to a secondary location with a stock of supplies. I do keep a "bug out bag" in my car in case I need help getting home. It contains what I need for at least 72 hours.

I too have training and I could survive in the wilderness for a small time (albeit miserably). However, my wife would make me wish I was dead because she isn't built that way. Im sure most people have family, friends, or even pets they are not willing to just abandon. Someone you love may have special medical needs. Many are just not fit for hard travel.

My advice is to have at least a secondary location and at least 3 separate plans and routs to get there. It doesn't have to be a secluded cabin "in the hills". Anyplace that is far enough from danger, but close enough to reach by foot will do (I have a 72-hour by foot rule). It can be a relative or friends house. Heck, your home could be their secondary location. Make sure you have supplies stocked there and all involved parties know the plan.

Edited by Baron