Tennessean newspaper supports elimination of HCP fee

Guest Overtaker

Guest Overtaker

Today's editorial is about public records and the Haslam administration's openness. Here is an excerpt:

Haslam has "Given verbal support to efforts to
charge fees
to anyone who makes a request for public records, even though state law guarantees the
right to public records
."

The Tennessean is against the requirement that a fee be paid to practice a right. Now I'm sure that all of you here, being responsible citizens, have read and studied the

Constitution of the State of Tennessee and therefore know:

That the citizens of this State have the
right
to keep and to bear arms for their common defense...

Now I suggest that we all take a few minutes out of our day to let the Tennessean know of our sincere appreciation of their new-found stance on the right of self-defense and that we look forward to their editorial urging the state legislature to abolish the HCP fee and all other fees which infringe upon our rights.

The Tennessean may be reached

online or at Letters to the Editor, The Tennessean, 1100 Broadway, Nashville, TN 37203

Edited by Overtaker
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They are only stressing their right to public records and snooping on others. I'm

sure you will agree that the Fishwrapper newspaper has no desire for us to have

the right to a fee less gun right, even though it is a bit hypocritical. I see your

point, though.

Not taking Haslam's side, but what right is it for us to know what he or others make

outside of office? As long as it is legitimate, I don't care. If it is gain from the benefit

of his public office I start to have a problem with it.

Guest bkelm18

Waiting to hear Mr Haas defend the politically "diverse" news room again. If it was so politically diverse, everything that is printed would not be so biased.

I'm guessing you don't really know how a newspaper works. :P

Guest Overtaker

This isn't talking about the fees to get the HCP. It's about paying a fee to access public records.

The Tennessean is saying that it is improper for government to charge citizens a fee to exercise a right. By their own words and logic they should also disapprove of the HCP fee because it specifically says in the state constitution that bearing arms is a right. No they did not say "eliminate the HCP fee," but to not be against the HCP fee would be hypocritical and indefensible according to their logic.

Writing to them is what one might refer to as "calling someone out."

Edited by Overtaker