"survival" knife kit?

Guest Shootermcgavin

Guest Shootermcgavin

I was just reading the post on the esess and was wondering what everyone is stashing on their sheath. I have the esee 6 with molle sheath and pocket. It has an Altoids can sized box and I am wanting to hear thoughts on what to carry. So far I just have a compass, magnesium fire starter, tourniquet, can opener (in case I stumble upon beans) and one of their cool arrow points. I am going to add snare wire, fish hooks and line, suture, aspirin, and maybe more depending on what all I read here and other sites. What are your thoughts for a general purpose kit? This is for adventure use and not for the zombie apocalypse.lol

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Shootermcgavin

That's a neat idea. I've done almost the same using cardboard egg cartons, lint/cotton, Vaseline, and sealed the top with candle wax. The straws would be great to use with the magnesium flakes as well. Keep the ideas coming!

I bought/traded for an esee 6 on Craigslist and the previous owner had self "woven" a paracord belt attachment point throught the sheath. Definitely an unlooked for perk. There is a lot of cord on there. Also, for survival tins, survivalblog.com has articles (both general and extremely detailed). Just go to the site and search for altoid, altoids, or survival tin and you should get a lot. Hope this helps.

Have not had to use it yet but in my tin (a work in progress), I have some safety pins. Primary uses would be to replace zipper tabs on equipment (tent, jacket, backpack, etc) and might be able to be used as a fishing hook if necessary. I am sure you can come up with some other uses. My kit also has a full size bic lighter in them as well. It takes up a lot of space and I may wind up doing away with it eventually, but I am sure I will be glad I have it if I need it. I know you already said you have a magnesium fire starter, and I would keep that in there as well. Just thinking about the saying, "Two is one and one is none." When it comes to fire, you don't want to take the chance that you might have to take a chance, haha.

Also, ideally, I want to make a medical tin, a survival/hiking tin, and an everday carry tin that is a combo. That being said, cough drops might not be on top priority for a survival kit but would be a great addition to a medical/edc kit (however, I have asthma, started coughing one night and my inhalers wouldn't work...cough drop did the trick. Althougth I don't think they would stop a normal asthma attack, they stopped that coughing fit. So it just depends on your situation. Also along the medical vein: band aids, vaseline (for chapped lips or starting fires), and moleskin might be some things to consider.

Guest Shootermcgavin

Different tins are a good idea. I am an athletic trainer so I always have medical supplies laying around. Band aids can be made with cloth and tape (I always have tape wrapped around my water bottle and will prob try something similar with the tin as well). I also always carry a bic. I think it's a good idea to have a flint and tender but i i kinda find it funny that some people rely on a couple of sticks when a bic is so light and fairly reliable. On that note I was thinking of grinding a notch in the handle so I can use a bow and block to make fire if #### really gets bad. I am also thinking of filing a notch in the blade for the flint as the knife coating makes it impossible to use the back side of the knife. I saw an example of a modified esee 4 that had it at smoky mt knife works and since there is an unlimited guarantee I won't have to worry about screwing it up. I now have to think of a functional way to carry a good length of para cord and was thinking of a braided leg band to secure the knife as well as store the cord.