First Carry Weapon Upgrade!

Guest GlocKingTN

Guest GlocKingTN

I ordered an extended mag release a few days ago, and it came in today. I installed it myself a few minutes ago. It was a very easy upgrade and took only seconds. Works great! And its very helpful as far as releasing the mag. You make only a slight move to release the mag instead of totally re-positioning the weapon! I think I bought it off of TopGlock for like $12.50 shipped! So it was a good and cheap upgrade!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Shay VanVlymen

Have you checked it with your holster to make sure it can't be pushed inadvertently when you sit down/squat/etc? I've seen more than a few extended mag releases release mags while in the holster.

Guest GlocKingTN
Have you checked it with your holster to make sure it can't be pushed inadvertently when you sit down/squat/etc? I've seen more than a few extended mag releases release mags while in the holster.

I did check it...it seems to work fine!:up:

I will know more once I carry it a bit more!

I did check it...it seems to work fine!:up:

I will know more once I carry it a bit more!

if you carry kydex and it does become a problem, it's very easy to fix, hair dryer or lighter at a distance and you can just extend the kydex (very carefully) to accommodate.

Guest Archimedes

Good call, J.

The eye of an electric cooktop can work well, too. I use that technique to change the blades in my aluminum hockey sticks. :up:

I've never had any problems operating the controls on a Glock, but that seems to be one of the biggest complaints.

The extended slide release that is the switch for the LaserMax bugs me.

IMO, it's too long and causes the laser to come on accidentally all the time.

Time for it to meet Mr. Dremel, I think. I think it could stand losing about 3/16th of an inch on each side. I'll post pics of that. I was still kinda debating if I was going to keep the laser or not.

~Archi

I had the extended magazine release on my G23 and it wasn't a problem, but I seldom use a Kydex holster. The ambidextrous release on the USP is very nice, BTW.

I found the LaserMax switch on the G26 to be really clunky. If you use a laser, it needs to be easily turned on and off.

That's a good point. Nothing will make your CCW more useless than a partially ejected magazine at the wrong moment!

I have always seen extended controls as more of a benefit during competition than anything else. Let us know how this works out for you.

The only pistol which I had un-intentional mag-release problems with was a Taurus PT145... That gun is a bad memory in SO many ways...

Since then, I prefer a stiff mag-release button which is protected in some manner, on all of my carry guns... (hence my preference for the XD).

Guest GlocKingTN

I still hadnt got to carry it yet with the new mag release installed, but will get to in a few days! Then I will let you sll know how it does!

Guest Greentimber

Be careful with aftermarket mods. There is a reason you have to reposition the gun in your hand slightly to drop a mag. A very good reason!

Think about this:

What takes longer;

-using the strong-side thumb to push the standard mag release button?

-or-

-Moving your alternate-firing hand from firing extension down to your spare mag pouch, grabbing the spare mag, and moving the fresh mag to the weapon for insertion?

Pressing the button is not the part that slows you down. :down:

Mars I was under the impression you did not care for glocks?

There are better handguns for any application, but Glocks have their place. They make decent (but not the best) duty gun. They are very reliable, accurate with practice, and don't have a safety to get in the way during the adrenalin rush. Glocks are not a bad choice for a duty weapon.

But you will notice that I refer to owning Glocks in the past tense. The G26 was traded for an XD-9 sub the first day I saw and shot the XD. The G23 became a USP 40 variant 3 (de-cocker but no safety).

I still think most public (as opposed to LE) purchases are because people want a gun "like the cops carry." Sort of an imagined aura of transferred professionalism.

I know my comments always get Glockie's panties in a wad, but guns are tools, not a religion. Well, my P7M8 is almost a religion.... :down: It's good to be critical of any gun and always look for something better.

Guest jackdog

Glockingtn, Let me know how it works out. As is stands right now I have to shift my G23 only slightly to release the Magazine. Guess my fear would be that during a high stress situation you could inadvertently release the mag if it were to accessible.

Guest jackdog

Mars, I am a glock fan, but never get upset with those than are not. When I chose glock years ago, I was a die hard 1911 fan. Shot a G23 a fellow had at a range in Texas. hit well first time out. gun felt real comfy too. Then I thought 40 or 45 cal???. Double the available ammo in the weapon. No external safety, yup it works for me. Is glock the best handgun? All depends on the individual and what he uses best, will ever change? well kinda interested S&W Mp series, so who knows.