Free Float Handguard and gas block?

SupaRice

You'll need a bench block for an AR front sight, roll pin punch, hammer, AR armorers wrench, an action block and a bench vise. Drive out the roll pins for the front sight base and remove. Loosen the barrel nut and slide off. You'll need to remove your gas block and reinstall it on your low profile gas block. Put on your new barrel nut and torque it with a torque wrench to around 35-40 ft lbs. Somewhere in that amount of torque you need to find the sweet spot where your gas tube holes line up perfectly. Remember to grease the threads so they don't gall. Reinstall the gas tube and slide on the free float tube and tighten. Grease those threads too. Aluminum likes to self destruct threads if you don't.

Easy huh?

While it is MUCH easier to have a vice and AR block, I have always installed free float HG in my living room using my knees! You will need a good AR barrel nut wrench. I am partial to the Troy TRX rails myself and the YHM Lo-pro gas blocks. The good thing about the Troys is that they come with the needed tool. :)

Hey Guys what is the advanage in changing to a free float tube? And is it worth the cost.

A marginal, perhaps substantial increase in accuracy, depending on the platform. A true free float tube is mounted to the upper receiver leaving the barrel free of any stress.

A marginal, perhaps substantial increase in accuracy, depending on the platform. A true free float tube is mounted to the upper receiver leaving the barrel free of any stress.

Add to that it is more stable. It won't have any wobble to it like drop in HG tend to have. It also gives you more versatility and like others have said mostly .... it looks better. The exception is the Magpul MOE HG. Those things lock in there tight, don't wobble and give you the same versatilty with the added bonus of lighter weight and much cheaper cost. Only negative is the still put pressure on the barrel. I still like free float handguards though! ;) Here are the Troy TRX rails I put on mine. Really light and you can add rails anywhere you want.

IMAG0266.jpg

Edited by Smith

Here's the thing, and I quote from military friends of mine and very reputable gun smiths, when you go free float, like the TRX, it looks kool BUT it looses stability. What I mean is, a delta ring is more durable especially if the rifle is dropped because the delta ring holds the hand guards together using force where free float is usually Allen screws unless it's a monolithic upper as the exception. For a battle rifle, I would keep the delta ring setup and get some magpul moe guards which are light and strong. If its a range gun or competition gun or show gun, get that Troy TRX rail because it's BA!! :)

aefd85d7-4643-f16c.jpgaefd85d7-4651-a6ef.jpgaefd85d7-4743-0145.jpg

Magpul MOE Handguards

Edited by k9wh91984

Add to that it is more stable. It won't have any wobble to it like drop in HG tend to have. It also gives you more versatility and like others have said mostly .... it looks better. The exception is the Magpul MOE HG. Those things lock in there tight, don't wobble and give you the same versatilty with the added bonus of lighter weight and much cheaper cost. Only negative is the still put pressure on the barrel. I still like free float handguards though! Here are the Troy TRX rails I put on mine. Really light and you can add rails anywhere you want.

IMAG0266.jpg

What type of lower is that?

Sabre upper and lower.

There was a guy on GOC trying to sell a Daniel Defense complete rifle as new but it had your brand Sabre lower on it. The writing on the lowers, stamping, is recognizable lol :) nice AR!

Edited by k9wh91984