HCP class in Middle TN

Hello All,

A couple of years ago I took the HCP class at Guns 'N Leather just north of Nashville. About an hour drive, but the local gun store was always full and they charge about 2x the price of Guns 'N Leather.

Anyway, lately my GF has been mentioning that it would be nice to have her HCP. So with a birthday in the next month, I am contemplating making the class and DMV license fee a major portion of her gift (along with something more traditional, TBD). I would be glad to spend a little extra on her gift if part of what she gets is something that might keep her safe someday.

So anyway, I really liked the Guns and Leather class. I have also since met the husband and wife (I presume?) pair that teaches the class in Woodbury. I believe their operation is named "On Target" - not to be confused with the store in Murfreesboro. They are only about 25 minutes away vs. 60 mins.

Has anyone taken the class from the folks in Woodbury? Any recommendations? The classes at these two places are $60 and $50, so other options in this ballpark and near Murfreesboro would be considered as well.

P.S. It's a surprise (gift), so don't tell! :rofl:

Edited by Guest
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mdh3p

http://packnheat.net/

One day course and It's done by one of the Nashville International Airport K-9 officers. He does the training at the TWRA range on Hobson pike. Great class and it's only $65. All you need is 50 rounds of ammo. He will provide a weapon if you don have one already. Next one is Sunday March 18th.

Side note - he does an advanced course that includes shooting from crouched and prone, Drawing and firing, as well as shooting from behind cover. You'll need 200 rounds for that course. Sounds fun. :)

Thanks guys, I will check into those. Also found out today there is a store in Goodlettsville (which I did not know about) that offers the class for $75 and apparently extends a 10% lifetime discount to its students. They supposedly train Law Enforcement officers, so I guess they know their stuff (if it's the same teacher(s)).

Guest jkintn

I took the HCP course at Guns & Leather in Greenbrier. For my purposes (already familiar with handguns so most of the course was to fulfill HCP requirements from state), it was great. Classroom portion took about 3.5-4 hours with several short breaks. Honestly, I wish the instructor had gone into more detail on the laws but most of the 21-22 year olds in the class were too concerned with asking situational questions to determine how they could draw their weapon on someone without getting in trouble. I was fortunate enough to be in the first group of 5 once we got to the range. Two instructors during range time and most their time was spent with two individuals that had never shot a gun before. I don't think they ever looked at me except to hand me the certificate of completion. I was out of there by 1PM. I would be interested in taking a level 2 course from the instructor given I think it would be more serious.

I am trying to talk my wife into taking a course but not sure if I'd send her to G&L or not. I'm sure instructors would spend more time if she asked during range time. I should have made her go with me. She's still a little afraid of guns so I want her to be more comfortable around them. Not sure if she'd ever carry or not but she described a strange situation that occurred in a Target parking lot in broad daylight yesterday that has her at least thinking about it.

All that said, it was a bit disturbing seeing the people in the class and realizing who can be carrying a handgun. Lots of immature young people that I don't think appreciated the seriousness of what they were doing. Obviously most people that contribute to forums like this one are much more serious about the responsibility that comes with carrying.

Guest LetZrock

Me and my wife took the one in Woodbury. It's nice and now they have a range to go to( ok coral ). We were at the range last Saturday and a class from Nashville came down.

Thanks guys, sounds like the one in Woodbury is a good go. I got that impression when I met the instructors when they had students at the OK Corral one Saturday.

Honestly I'm sure all the instructors around here are good. Just wanted to make sure there were no horror stories :-)