Recommend an AR for First Timer

Guest Hunter2

I give another vote for the S&W M&P15 Sport. It is a bare bones AR (no forward assist or dust cover), but you still have the ability to customize it in the future. They can be bought brand new in the $600 to $700 range. It is hard to beat at that price. Around Nashville, I would check places like Guns & Leather or Outpost Armory. The Sport is very popular, and it can be hard to find.

If you want to build one, that is fine, but you will probably spend around the same as the M&P Sport, once you buy all the components and tools that you will need.

Im new to this type of riflr what are the two things people keep saying, do you have pictures?

Those hand guards are Magpul MOE. I like em better than quad rails. You get that same versatility where you can add rails but alot more comfortable to the hands without having to add rail ladders.

Yup.

All the furniture on that is Magpul MOE. It bumped the price of the build up a little, but I am very satisfied with it.

That build I posted is all PSA. I have a thread about it. Before mags and ammo I have $750 in that, including the MBUS, shipping and transfer.

I REALLY like the MOE handguard. I have one on one of my rifles. Can't beat it if you don't need/want a free float.

I can't quite figure out how rails attach to those, can't even find a vid. Apparently screws (with nut?), but do you have to take the handguard off/apart each time to add/remove them?

- OS

I can't quite figure out how rails attach to those, can't even find a vid. Apparently screws (with nut?), but do you have to take the handguard off/apart each time to add/remove them?

- OS

I think that's the deal. It just pops off, though. Real easy.

Ah, IC, thanks, never did find that on their site. So you do take guard off each time, that was main thing I was wondering. - OS

Yes to be able to put the nutplate in the inside. I have the forward grip on mine and I put it on and tightened it (loctite) BEFORE I even put the handguard on the rifle. I played with various slots until I decided where it was most usefull. You can make a home made "device" to assist you in the removal of the handguards or you can buy one of course...You tube it....

Edited by kwe45919

Yes to be able to put the nutplate in the inside. I have the forward grip on mine and I put it on and tightened it (loctite) BEFORE I even put the handguard on the rifle. I played with various slots until I decided where it was most usefull. You can make a home made "device" to assist you in the removal of the handguards or you can buy one of course...You tube it....

Looks like you can just pull down on the delta ring with one hand and pull one half off, then do it again pull the other half, without the tool or another pair of hands?

- OS

Looks like you can just pull down on the delta ring with one hand and pull one half off, then do it again pull the other half, without the tool or another pair of hands?

- OS

Yes. I don't need a tool for mine. I guess it depends on the individual weld spring, but I don't think it's as hard as a stock handguard.

Guest Hunter2

explanation.jpg

I have labeled them for you.

For the common user, these are not necessary pieces. I have no opinion on it. If I had not gotten into building my own, I would buy the Sport any day of the week.

Thanks. Ok Its obvious what the dust cover does, but what does the foward assist do? Thanks

If the round doesn't go completely into battery, you can use the forward assist to force it into battery. Great in a do or die situation. Not so great in a range situation where it could create a catastrophic failure if there was a reason the round wouldn't go into battery. You of course could use your finger to push the bolt forward, as done with A1 slab side M16s, or rerack the bolt to cycle a new round.

It wasn't my intention to stray from the reason of my original post to get feedback from TGO members on the selection of an AR. I have received some great advice that I certainly appreciate. I have visited lots of gun stores and this was the first time I have had an experience like today. This was my first visit there and I realize anyone can have a bad day, but for the store to be empty and be ignored just stuck in my craw. I have no ill will against Lebanon Gun Shop, I just will not shop there anymore.

I hate to jump in with this unrelated note, especially since I have no skin in this game, but I've been to Lebanon Gun Shop several times.

The owner, David, is a good guy and he's really trying hard to build a good business (unlike his competition across town). Good help is often hard to find, but I admit, that's not a good excuse. I don't care for the kid, George, that works for him, but he's better than the kid at the sporting goods counter at Walmart. You know how it is some times when the boss is away, right?

I really hate to hear that was your first impression of his shop. Hope y'all give him another try.

Edited by BigK
If the round doesn't go completely into battery, you can use the forward assist to force it into battery. Great in a do or die situation. Not so great in a range situation where it could create a catastrophic failure if there was a reason the round wouldn't go into battery. You of course could use your finger to push the bolt forward, as done with A1 slab side M16s, or rerack the bolt to cycle a new round.

I try not to put body parts on hot metal! LOL :)

Well, after all the good info I went out looking for an M&P 15 this morning. Drove from Nashville to Lebanon Gun Shop and lo and behold found one hanging on the wall. Walked up to the young man behind the counter, told him I was looking to buy and asked how much. He replied $699 and went back to popping bubble wrap with his knife. Never said another word. I stood there for a good minute or two with a pocket full of money and looking at the gun on the wall across the counter until a man came in asking to see the gunsmith. The lady there replied he wasn't there, so bubble boy stopped what he was doing, walked AROUND me and across the store to look at this guys jammed 1911. I guess business is so good at Lebanon Gun Shop they can blow off $700 sales. I might have a hard time finding another M&P 15 in stock, but I will wait and sure won't purchase it in Lebanon.

hammerdrop99, my name is David and I am the owner of the Lebanon Gun Shop. I regret your experience. Please know what you described is not the way I want my customers treated. I'll offer you the gun at my cost if you would please come back and give us another try. I will be reviewing the video with my employee to make this a learning opportunity. Thanks for coming by.

• Like 2

hammerdrop99, my name is David and I am the owner of the Lebanon Gun Shop. I regret your experience. Please know what you described is not the way I want my customers treated. I'll offer you the gun at my cost if you would please come back and give us another try. I will be reviewing the video with my employee to make this a learning opportunity. Thanks for coming by.

Can't beat that! Good for you, David.

Can't beat that! Good for you, David.

I must say from your response that I was hasty in my judgement of your shop. You have a number of satisfied customers who have posted in this thread and you apparently are a man who does care about his customers. In hindsight, I could have been a bit more direct with your employee and avoided this whole situation. If I decide to go ahead with a purchase of an M&P 15 as opposed th an AR build, I will certainly return to you shop and talk with you.

Guest Torrin

Truly a classy move.

(I need to go over there and see if I can get ignored a few times myself!) ;)

- OS

I am going to run over there and tell David my name is hammerdrop99! :)