Local source for bulk spices...Knoxville area

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new GFS (Gordon Food Services) over by Academy has some mighty big containers of spices and quite a variety. Don't recall the weight but they are the plastic containers at least the size of the biggest ones Kroger has or like what you could get at Sam's.

Edited by Garufa

Dolomite, what method would you use for storing spices? It has been my experience that prepared (ground) spices begin to lose potency after about six months, get fairly weak after a year and not too long after that pretty much turn into flavorless dirt. Whole spices seem to last longer but can be a pain to grind/prepare. That is actually the reason I avoid buying most spices in bulk - even though I like to use varied spices - and sometimes lots of them - in my cooking, I still often find the spices get weak or even go 'dead' before I can use them all.

I do like buying spices at the 'General Store' located in the Menonite settlement at Muddy Pond. They come in plastic bowls/tubs/whatever you want to call them with plastic lids, cost less and seem to 'last' longer than spices from the grocery store. I make a few, custom spice blends and rubs from recipes of my own devising so I like to take a trip to Muddy Pond two or three times a year in order to pick up some spices. There are also some folks up there who make some really good sorghum (sold as Muddy Pond Sorghum - I have even seen it in the Earth Fare in Knoxville, on occasion.)

I also like buying spices at Mexican groceries. They tend to come in celophane packages and, again, seem to be more flavorful, last longer and are cheaper than spices from 'regular' grocery stores. Neither the Muddy Pond nor the Mexican grocery option are sold in what I would really call 'bulk', however.

Edited by JAB

Not sure about the others, but better to grow the garlic and either pickle it or dehydrate it yourself.

MSG, on the other hand, is not a spice but a <sometimes naturally occurring> poison which simply tricks your brain into thinking that foods taste better than they actually do (this is what allows food companies to get by with what would otherwise be substandard ingredients). Some people (myself included, hence my knowledge on the subject) are very sensitive to MSG and may suffer from any of a number of reactions including, but certainly not limited to, migraines, arrhythmia and arthritis-like joint pain. Since reactions are not allergic, but rather dose-related and may be cumulative and since different people tolerate different amounts, it's often difficult to pinpoint a reaction as MSG related. Nonetheless, it is potentially a very harmful substance (as I well know first hand). Better just to use quality ingredients and not take the chance of doing accidental, but irreparable harm to a loved one.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now. We grow a couple of different types of garlic in our yard and garden and it's quite easy to grow and preserve and tastes better than anything you'll find in a store. As to the rest, you might check Three Rivers Market at their new store on Central - they've got a lot of really good stuff there. (But they know that MSG isn't good for you.)

Good luck!

We do store several spices, and have purchased a few online, and a few at Sam's.

eta: and at UGO in Lenoir City or Oak Ridge...

I divide them into pint or have pint jars and pop in an O2 absorber. Then box them to protect them from light.

As far as Creole seasoning goes, my favorite is Tony Chachere's. Here's a link for making your own. We like our home brewed version better than "store-bought".

Home made chili powder beats store bought as well.

We have a pretty expansive herb garden...nothing beats fresh herbs, imho... and most have wintered over or bounce back for the past 4 years.

I have garlic coming on strong right now that I planted last fall. And we have a fair amount of wild onions coming up in the yard right now. They make an excellent cooking ingredient, strong, and a bit like a mix of garlic & onion...so a little goes a long way.

We dehydrate a lot of our herbs, garlic, and onion in our Excalibur.

As to your original question, Bulk Foods has great quality spices, a huge variety, and fair pricing.

Edited by prag
MSG, on the other hand, is not a spice but a <sometimes naturally occurring> poison which simply tricks your brain into thinking that foods taste better than they actually do (this is what allows food companies to get by with what would otherwise be substandard ingredients). Some people (myself included, hence my knowledge on the subject) are very sensitive to MSG and may suffer from any of a number of reactions including, but certainly not limited to, migraines, arrhythmia and arthritis-like joint pain. Since reactions are not allergic, but rather dose-related and may be cumulative and since different people tolerate different amounts, it's often difficult to pinpoint a reaction as MSG related. Nonetheless, it is potentially a very harmful substance (as I well know first hand). Better just to use quality ingredients and not take the chance of doing accidental, but irreparable harm to a loved one.

<3 MSG, It's my favorite! :rofl:

Guest Torrin

The new GFS (Gordon Food Services) over by Academy has some mighty big containers of spices and quite a variety. Don't recall the weight but they are the plastic containers at least the size of the biggest ones Kroger has or like what you could get at Sam's.

I wonder if it is a law that GFS has to be by Academy, since in Franklin it is right by Academy too! :)