No guns in this neighborhood!

Guest Shane

Guest Shane

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=6242822

Community Suggests Gun Possession Is Illegal For Residents

March 19, 2007 04:16 PM

ANTIOCH, Tenn.- Some people in a Nashville neighborhood are furious over a new rule that makes it illegal to own a gun.

Residents in Nashboro Village said it's unconstitutional and leaves them defenseless.

Two weeks ago, residents received a letter from their homeowners' association indicating that guns are not allowed on the property.

"It thought it was ironic that they say you can't have something when the United States government says you can," said resident Cristina Salajanu.

Salajanu would like to give her neighborhood management company a history lesson.

"I think it's unconstitutional," Salajanu said. "They can't tell you what to own or not to own in your own house."

Salajanu is talking about the Bill of Rights, specifically the Second Amendment, which grants citizens the right to keep and bear arms. It's been an American freedom for 215 years but Salajanu and other residents said it's been taken away from them.

"Something needs to be done," she said.

Two weeks ago, the property management company at Nashboro Village told its residents no more guns on the property.

"It incensed me that it was written the way it was," said a resident who asked not to be identified.

She said there is a serious need to feel protected here and a firearm can do that.

"We've got dark areas, the lighting is very definitely very dim," she said.

Salajanu said that burglaries started to increase since late summer...

She said she believes her neighborhood has changed since she moved in last year.

"Three weeks ago someone was stopped at gunpoint," Salajanu said. "It seems the nature of those burglaries is becoming more dangerous."

Some residents at Nashboro Village have campaigned for better lighting and more security but if they can't get either they at least want their Second Amendment rights upheld.

"If I'm walking if I'm walking my dog or if I am outside walking and if I don't feel safe and I'm licensed then I'll carry a gun," said the resident who did not want her identity disclosed.

Officials with Ghertner and Company, the property manager at Nashboro Village, would not make an on-camera comment about the gun policy but said they plan on changing the rule soon to allow firearms on the property.

However, they would make it illegal to fire those guns, which residents say is still unconstitutional.

Neighbors said they understand the gun rule is meant to keep criminals out of Nashboro Village but they don't believe that prohibiting firearms is the best way to do that.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the mgmt company is waking up to the reality. On the issue of making it illegal to fire a gun on Nashboro Village property, I imagine Nashville has a ordinance against random discharge of firearms inside city limits anyway.

Sounds like the property managers are trying to improve the safety image of their property due to crime in the general area. Of course, their intent and reality would be 100% different in this case. How about Nashboro Village use some of their association fees to hire armed security if they are worried about crime on their property?

I can't see that being legal no more than the home owners association making a rule that no one can stand outside with their neighbor and discuss politics. As far as discharging firearms in the city limits, most cities have a law against that but can't deny the ownership of firearms. These home owners associations think they're their own little dictatorship.

Rather poorly written story. Obviously a homeowners' association or management group can't make anything "illegal." But they may be able to impose deed restrictions. Stuff like what type of fence you can build.

As far as banning guns, this is meaningless. It's also stupid. If some resident did get rid of his guns because of this action and then got robbed or attacked, the association might very well be liable. I imagine their attorneys are telling them that.

Let's see, as far as them being "illegal" well, the only way they would find out I had one is if they came in to my house illegally and searched it in which case they would find out very quickly whether or not I owned any firearms.

As for walking around with it outside, well, if it is concealed properly, they wouldn't see it. I don't think any of my neighbors know that I own firearms.

Guest jackdog

I would think the bad guys are over joyed with news that this community wants to allow no guns. Mars is correct that the assn. cannot make anything such as guns illegal. Wonder if the home owners can sue thier dumb asses.

Guest GlocKingTN

I have a cousin who lives in North Jackson, TN who cant have a dog kennel in HIS backyard, because of the neighborhood. WTF is that suppose to mean. You CAN spend $150,000+ on a house and land, but you CANT make your own decisions of how to use it!

Oh god...we've got grammar police.... :down: (Maybe a PM would have been in order.)

As far as the kennel is concerned, maybe it's a bunch of people who don't want dogs barking all day and/or night. In Tennessee, if you live within an incorporated city, you will probably be subject to all sorts of laws, some sensible and some just busy-body stuff. Counties have a lot fewer restrictions they are allowed to force on you.

Some years ago, Sullivan county had a referendum and banned fireworks. It turns out that counties can't do that sort of thing. They can refuse to issue licenses to sell fireworks, but can't actually ban you from shooting them - although they might be able to confiscate them in some circumstances. That came from a friend of mine who was a DA and is now a judge.

Well Marswolf, one correction in my history of being on internet message boards would hardly be considered "grammar police" :down:

I urge you to find another place where I have pointed out someone's errors, either on this message board or elsewhere. I will even PM you a list of boards I frequent if you like.

Back on topic, Phil Valentine was talking about this yesterday. A resident called in but hadn't seen the letter. Maybe someone here knows someone who lives in NBV and can get a copy of this letter to post here.

Guest Phantom6
I have a cousin who lives in North Jackson, TN who cant have a dog kennel in HIS backyard, because of the neighborhood. WTF is that suppose to mean. You CAN spend $150,000+ on a house and land, but you CANT make your own decisions of how to use it!

These deed restrictions that owner's associations come up with have always confused me. :down: What is even more confusing is why would any sane individual wish to spend their hard earned money on a house in an area that was going to tell them what colors they had to use in painting their house, whether or not they could have a dog kennel or run, or anything else for that matter? That is simply wacked IMO. It's one thing to come together for the comon defense but quite another to come together to ban the use of red paint on front doors.

I couldn't live like that. I ain't no sheep. Guess that is part of what makes me a sheep dog. I'm not afraid to step out of line and snap at what irritates me.

Sure thing.. I should have PM'd you as Marswolf said, but what's done is done.

HOA are ridiculous. The only POSSIBLE good they do is to keep people from making the neighborhood look like crap in some cases. For example, a friend of mine not too far up the road lives in a nice, quiet neighborhood. 20 year old brick houses, nicely kept .5 acre yards, 200k prices on most houses now. Nice except for the one guy who decided to fence in the entire front and back yard, and keep a couple horses, goats, and chickens in a residential neighborhood.. that's a little ridiculous.

I believe in being able to do what you want with your own place, but when the guy next door wants to sell his house but is going to have a hard time getting what he is asking or even selling it at all as a direct result of what the next door neighbor is doing, I would have a problem with that.

That being said, I'll never live in a 'hood with a HOA. My next house will be built on some land (enough to shoot rifles on) so I won't have to give a damn about what the neighbors are doing.

Guest macho999

Homeowner's associations are typically made up of old busybodies that typically exhibit no power over anyone except on the homeowner's association. Think of the hall monitor in grade school who thought he was the thin line between civilization and anarchy.

The thinking behind the HOA and the arbitrary rules are that they make the neighborhood "exclusive" and raise property values. That may be true for some. I think property is worth less when you've got a bunch of nosy neighbors trying to boss you around. Then again, I'm probably the kind of guy they don't want around so the whole plan is working perfectly.

These deed restrictions that owner's associations come up with have always confused me. :down: What is even more confusing is why would any sane individual wish to spend their hard earned money on a house in an area that was going to tell them what colors they had to use in painting their house, whether or not they could have a dog kennel or run, or anything else for that matter? That is simply wacked IMO. It's one thing to come together for the comon defense but quite another to come together to ban the use of red paint on front doors.

I couldn't live like that. I ain't no sheep. Guess that is part of what makes me a sheep dog. I'm not afraid to step out of line and snap at what irritates me.

There is actually a city (Germantown) that is much like this. They have (or had, it looks like times are changing there) regulations about the color of flowers/Christmas lights, house colors and many other regulations you had to abide by. The BP station had to change its signature colors in order to open in the city. The reason they do this is to "keep out the riffraff" and it works. It looks nice and the crime rate is relatively low in that city. Well, it used to be. Then the city of Memphis came along and cut through some major roads to some "less than desirable" neighborhoods. Now things are going "downhill" fast.

Guest Hyaloid

As far as I am concerned, HOAs have a place, but too frequently overstep their bounds. Typically, you would be aware of all restrictions BEFORE you buy your house, so you should abide by them.

What gets me riled up is when they pass "resolutions" to add new restrictions that people DID NOT agree to when they bought their property.

But, you have to know that is a possibility when you enter a community with an active HOA. Land in the county = good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Just saw this elsewhere and thought it was funny (and sad) enough to share...

crime_zone.gif

It'd be a hoot to get some decals made up like that and start slapping them on the doors of businesses that prohibit carry. Too bad it'd also be considered vandalism. :stare:

crime_zone.gif

It'd be a hoot to get some decals made up like that and start slapping them on the doors of businesses that prohibit carry. Too bad it'd also be considered vandalism. :lol:

It wouldn't me vandalism to put flyers on the windshield of the cars in the parking-lot though...

:stare:

Guest Boomhower

crime_zone.gif

Now that's just too good. Sums up everything that needs to be said.

in my parents neighborhood you can't keep a truck, like a work truck, parked in the driveway, it has to have a garage. in my grandfather's you can't park on the street, or leave a ladder out over night. these aren't huge expensive neighborhoods, but they have convinents that have to be followed in order to live there or you get fined. a lot of them are stupid, but they are voted on and passed according to the people who live there.