Sub-Compact SHOWDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ropin4gold

Well I decided to get a few Sub Compact 9mm’s together and have a little “showdown.†The guns I chose are as follows:

Glock 26 Gen3

G26Box.jpg

The Glock 26 Gen3 has been around longer than the other pistols in my test. I actually stole this one from my wife so I could test it. It is a little large for front pocket carry due to its width. It was the widest pistol tested. However it is the highest capacity pistol in the test (11+1) so take that for what it is worth. Extra magazines will run you about $25.

Walther PPS 9

PPSBox.jpg

The Walther PPS 9 is also a little large for front pocket carry. It was the longest and tallest pistol tested. However, it is very narrow and is good for carrying IWB without having to buy larger pants. These guns come with 2 different back straps. There are (3) magazines available for this pistol, a (6) round flush fit, a (7) round with a pinkie extension, and a full size (8) round. I was unable to test the (6) rounder as my pistol did not come with that one. Extra magazines are in the neighborhood of $60.

Kahr PM9

PM9Box.jpg

The Kahr PM9 has been a very popular pistol for the last couple of years. When I found myself just having to have one, there were none anywhere. I was finally able to secure one and it hasn’t been a disappointment. My only complaint about the Kahr is the little gap where the magazine meets the grip. It just seems sloppy to me. The Kahr was the lightest, narrowest, and shortest pistol tested. This gun is about the perfect size and width for front pocket carry if you use the flush fit (6) round magazine. It also comes with a (7) round extended magazine. Extra magazines are around $30-$35.

Sig P290

P290Box.jpg

The Sig P290 is a newcomer to the bunch. As a self-proclaimed Sig nut, I had to try one out. It came with a (6) round flush fit magazine and an (8) round extended magazine. It is VERY close in size to the Kahr PM9 but quite a bit fatter. It would work as a front pocket gun, but is not quite as concealable as the Kahr. The Sig was the shortest pistol tested, but also the heaviest. Extra magazines are around $40.

GroupShortMags.jpg

GroupExtMags.jpg

I put a J-frame in the pictures for reference. The first pic is with the compact magazines; second one shows the extended magazines.

Here is the group togather for comparison purposes:

TopDown.jpg

SidebySide.jpg

Glock 26 Gen3 Walther PPS Kahr PM9 Sig P290

Length 6.29†6.3†5.3†5.5â€

Height 4.17†4.4†4.0†3.9â€

Width 1.18†1.04†0.90†1.1â€

Weight 19.75oz 19.4oz 15.9oz 20.5oz

(unloaded)

G26-PPS.jpg

P290-PM9.jpg

I took these pistols to the range and fired them for accuracy.

G26Target.jpg

The Glock 26 Gen3 showed good accuracy. To be fair and completely honest, I have a lot of trigger time with the Glock platform as that is what I have carried for the last 8 years. The sights were good, but plastic. That is one of my only complaints about Glocks. The trigger was short and had a very short reset. This gun is stock with no modifications.

PPSTarget.jpg

The Walther PPS 9 was like shooting a laser. This gun is one of the most accurate handguns I have ever fired. The trigger is surprisingly Glock like, but a little longer pull and a little longer reset. The sights are metal and had 3 very bright white dots. I really liked these sights. It does have that crazy magazine release. If you are going to carry this one be sure and train with it.

PM9Target.jpg

The Kahr PM9 showed excellent accuracy during my test. The PM9 has a match barrel and it lived up to it. The trigger is like your favorite S&W revolver Long, Steady, and Smooth. The reset was also long. The sights are metal and have the front dot and a bar at the rear, not my favorite combination.

P290target.jpg

The Sig P290 showed good accuracy during my test. The trigger is quite a bit heavier than all of the other pistols tested. There is also a 2 stage reset. It took some getting used to. The sights on my pistol are Siglite night sights and they are excellent. They are very bright and easy to see in the daylight also. These were my favorite sights of the bunch. I am not sure if all P290’s come with the SIglights or not.

All weapons operated at 100% with no failures of any kind. I was using Speer 9mm Lawman. I also fired the pistols with my old standby carry load Federal 9BPLE and all functioned 100%. I fired around 50 rounds of ball and 2 magazines of the hollow points through each weapon.

Overall my impressions are as follows:

Glock 26 Gen3 - Good for belt or ankle carry and high capacity. Good trigger. Crappy plastic sights. Gen4 models have (3) interchangeable back straps.

Walther PPS- Good for belt carry. Very accurate. Magazines are very high priced if you need spares. Holsters are a little tough to locate. Nonstandard magazine release. Interchangeable back straps.

Kahr PM9- Excellent for pocket carry. Good smooth trigger, long reset.

Sig P290- Good for pocket carry, a little heavy. Trigger could use some work. Sights are excellent. Holsters are a little tough to locate.

Edited by Ropin4gold
Guest steve24

Great comparison. I used to carry my G26 all the time before I got my Kahr CM9. The Kahr is just so much easier for me to carry (in a pocket holster) that I find myself carrying it quite a bit.

Guest prixdc

I'm looking to get a Kahr CM9 soon for summer carry. Seems to check the most boxes for what I'm looking for. My Glock 19 w/Streamlight in a kydex paddle is a little much for IWB...