Academy now has Red Jacket

gjohnsoniv

Ehhh. Not really. If you can buy a Colt cheaper, then your AR is overpriced. I'm not saying that Colt is the be all end all, they are just that expensive. There are way too many more good ARs out there for the money. You can buy 2 Smith Sports for that money and have two great rifles instead of one.

I could see the Red Jacket being worth that money if it were built on billet receivers or a piston gun but its neither. Its a basic milspec style AR and as such, shouldn't be more than 700-800 bucks (IN MY OPINION).

Having been looking to the AR market of late, I have to chime in here. Where can I find a Colt cheaper than the RJ? Prices I've seen are generally 1199 + for what's considered by some here as "the" one to get. I've seen the Colt wih the same exterior setup as the RJ for 1259, Windhams for 800 + for base models. Mention Delton or Bushmaster and get poo-poo'ed by the ar elite here. Add Magpul or Troy sights to the base models

and you get the Colt or the RJ model. Change the stock forward hg and add more.

One says Colt, then another comments on the oversized holes milled in Colts to make mil-spec criteria make them questionable. Screams about Umarex. Both good and bad.

Not everybody can afford the Knights Armament, etc high end models. Maybe I'm being unrealistic about this, but try to buy an AR for 700 -800 dollars. A few used will show up, but new? Few and far between.

Don't you wish there was someplace to get item by item, step by step, brand by brand information that wasn't laced with "this is crap comments." I know I do.

Ok my seriously-lacking-in-knowledge rant is over.

To Steelharp-Thanks for being realistic in all this.

To Smith, also my thanks for keeping it straighforward and as neutral as I've seen here.

Edited by hipower

Having been looking to the AR market of late, I have to chime in here. Where can I find a Colt cheaper than the RJ? Prices I've seen are generally 1199 + for what's considered by some here as "the" one to get. I've seen the Colt wih the same exterior setup as the RJ for 1259, Windhams for 800 + for base models. Mention Delton or Bushmaster and get poo-poo'ed by the ar elite here. Add Magpul or Troy sights to the base models

and you get the Colt or the RJ model. Change the stock forward hg and add more.

One says Colt, then another comments on the oversized holes milled in Colts to make mil-spec criteria make them questionable. Screams about Umarex. Both good and bad.

Not everybody can afford the Knights Armament, etc high end models. Maybe I'm being unrealistic about this, but try to buy an AR for 700 -800 dollars. A few used will show up, but new? Few and far between.

Don't you wish there was someplace to get item by item, step by step, brand by brand information that wasn't laced with "this is crap comments." I know I do.

Ok my seriously-lacking-in-knowledge rant is over.

To Steelharp-Thanks for being realistic in all this.

To Smith, also my thanks for keeping it straighforward and as neutral as I've seen here.

Classic has Bushy's and other brands on the rack constantly for around 800 bucks. Colts are around 1000. Still less than the Red Jacket. Screw the internet elitists and what they say. Most will tell you that whatever brand they have is the best and you can't beat it.

First of all, you can't compare the Red Jacket gun at Academy to the M&P Sport. It's much closer to the M&P MOE. I did a quick search, and all of the Internet gun dealers I saw have the MOE priced at $1k+.

Why not? The RJ gun has 100 bucks worth of magpul parts. So buy those from Aimsurplus (free shipping!) and you still come in at way less than the RJ. Plus, I really like the integrated trigger guard of the sport. That will always get a thumbsup from me and I never understood why they did anything other than that.

Edited by Capbyrd

Name recognition can do funny things.

If a Red Jacket AR can retail for $1200 and Academy Sports sells enough to be happy about it and Red Jacket is happy about it, then what's the problem?

If you don't like the price, don't buy it. You're free to do so. One of the few freedoms we still have.

Capitalism, ho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. Just because I have a problem with Red Jacket and I express that, doesn't mean that you have to.

And to the people saying that we hate RJ because they got a TV show, thats not the case for me. I want to like the show. But they come across as ####ty people in the show. They claim to come up with things that have existed for decades (masterkey). They overdramatize a meeting with a nobody to make it seem like they are getting a huge government contract (Will said it, it was edited that way). And they claim to revolutionize the AR world with an off the shelf build consisting of a Mega Arms receivers and Adams Arms piston kits.

The stuff they do on the show is amateur at best and that is why I PERSONALLY, would never consider them for a personal purchase.

Why not? The RJ gun has 100 bucks worth of magpul parts. So buy those from Aimsurplus (free shipping!) and you still come in at way less than the RJ. Plus, I really like the integrated trigger guard of the sport. That will always get a thumbsup from me and I never understood why they did anything other than that.

Not dissin' the Sport at all. YOU can go buy parts at AIM. Folks that buy rifles off the rack... maybe not. I was comparing a comparable S&W off-the-rack gun to the Red Jacket off-the-rack gun. Is S&W raping their customers too?

EDIT: And for what it's worth, I wouldn't buy either of those off-the-rack rifles myself. I have an account at AIM too. :pleased:

Edited by mikegideon
Guest Lester Weevils

I don't have an AR but sometime might like one. Have an MSAR bullpup and an AR-lookalike colt umarex .22 rifle. The colt umarex .22 is fun to shoot and feels "ergonomic" so a .223 AR would probably be the same deal, IOW I'd like it if actually spent much time shooting it. Pistols are mainly what I shoot.

Unless taking the "easy way out" and buying a good-quality "standard" AR from colt or S&W or Sig or whatever, and leaving it thataway except adding optics or different iron sights-- I get the impression one would need to do some research just to find out what features one would want in an AR.

Dunno if it would be at all practical or if he would want to take the job, but have thought that if I ever wanted a fancy AR and didn't have a lot of time to turn it into a science project-- Figured maybe ask Dolomite if he would consider being hired to build me one. Dolomite would know what I "need" a lot better than I would. :)

What I've found with ARs is that when you do build one with a certain configuration, you want another in a different configuration. But I'm a tinkerer. I play with stuff to no end.

Mike, I wouldn't buy either off the shelf either but I have spent that much on an off the shelf AR and I feel that I got a LOT more for my money.

Actually, now that I think about it. I think the Ruger SR556 E would be a better off the shelf option. You would get the same lifetime warranty (except from a company that has actually been around for a lifetime) and a piston gun with troy handguard. It doesn't have sights though so add those for 50 bucks and you come in at around 50-150 cheaper than the RJ.

Of if you wanted a 6.8, the SR556 in 6.8 has been on sale in a lot of places for 1200 lately. Great way to break into piston ars and 6.8 at the same time.

Building your own is the way to go, you can put what you want on there and do what you want to it. That's what I did with mine. I'm a college student so I don't have that much money to start. I looked at what was a good value for the money and went from there, hence why I settled on Spikes. No, It's not top of the line in the AR world but you can't beat it for the price and I never read a bad review of their products. It's not a Noveske, Knights, or whatever but I don't need that for a entry level AR that I shoot when I have the time. Given I would like something nicer when I have the money both in terms of optics and components. Heck, my AR has a Sightmark reflex sight on it. Is it top of the line? Not a chance, but it works for me. That's what you need to think about. Not every person needs the Aimpoint, Trijicon, or Nightforce optics.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. Just because I have a problem with Red Jacket and I express that, doesn't mean that you have to.

And to the people saying that we hate RJ because they got a TV show, thats not the case for me. I want to like the show. But they come across as ####ty people in the show. They claim to come up with things that have existed for decades (masterkey). They overdramatize a meeting with a nobody to make it seem like they are getting a huge government contract (Will said it, it was edited that way). And they claim to revolutionize the AR world with an off the shelf build consisting of a Mega Arms receivers and Adams Arms piston kits.

The stuff they do on the show is amateur at best and that is why I PERSONALLY, would never consider them for a personal purchase.

Well said. That's the only reason that I don't like them, other than that I have no problems with them. I just hate listening to them act like they are the first to come up with a piston AR or whatever. I'm no professional gunsmith but I could build a piston AR in my garage if I tried. A huge government contract is not selling a handful of rifles to the G4S/Xee Services guys, talk to Barrett, Colt, or any other company and they'll tell you what a huge contract is. Edited by gjohnsoniv

What I've found with ARs is that when you do build one with a certain configuration, you want another in a different configuration. But I'm a tinkerer. I play with stuff to no end.

Mike, I wouldn't buy either off the shelf either but I have spent that much on an off the shelf AR and I feel that I got a LOT more for my money.

Actually, now that I think about it. I think the Ruger SR556 E would be a better off the shelf option. You would get the same lifetime warranty (except from a company that has actually been around for a lifetime) and a piston gun with troy handguard. It doesn't have sights though so add those for 50 bucks and you come in at around 50-150 cheaper than the RJ.

Of if you wanted a 6.8, the SR556 in 6.8 has been on sale in a lot of places for 1200 lately. Great way to break into piston ars and 6.8 at the same time.

Ruger doesn't have a lifetime warranty. Actually they don't have any warranty, although I've heard they will tend to take care of things. Either way I'd take the M&P PS over the Ruger. The Ruger is nice but it is heavy, harder to adjust, uses too many proprietary parts, and cost more. The M&P uses the Adams system which is simpler, lighter, and has parts support.

Sure Cap. I have a little over $2k in my 458 with the optic, and it was a build. I did buy an assembled upper. It's what I want.

have not read this whole thread, lots of opions, but i can truthly say that, like what Mr. Mikegidon said is true for me. i spend more or my builds, but it is just the way i want it.

More power to them. That's why they are in business, to sell things. However, I wouldn't buy one. Nothing to do with them, just that I can find as good or better, cheaper. I'm not even going to mention building, because that's not a true comparison.

Mac

More power to them. That's why they are in business, to sell things. However, I wouldn't buy one. Nothing to do with them, just that I can find as good or better, cheaper. I'm not even going to mention building, because that's not a true comparison.

Mac

It's truer than you might think. Magpul parts, Geisseley triggers, etc. are seldom discounted. The cost is all about the parts.

I say let the free market do it's thing. If I was selling trinkets and the demand went higher than I could keep up with I would think my prices are too low. If the next week I couldn't sell any I would drop my price. I agree the show is cheesy at best, but I think they are promoting firearm ownership and showing scary black rifles aren't that scary to the masses. I wouldn't mind owning a RJ Saiga 12, but I bought one for half price and learned a ton doing my own conversion.

It's a great thing that they are showing the general public that guns aren't bad things, but I think it would be cool if they did more custom building like the American Guns "Golden Boy" or whatever it was. Then again RJ is more tactical firearms and weapons. The other seems to be more hunting and reproduction firearms.

I also am 100% behind RJ making money if they can. The commentary is in response to a comment, which asked why people do not like RJ so much since their entry into the TV world.

Any prebuilt is highway robbery. We all know it. But not everyone can build a better gun for less either. If I had tried to build one from scratch, I would have paid as much and ended up with a worse gun. Probably would have cost MORE, since I would probably buy a few things that didnt work well so try again with another brand, etc. The one thing I see in common from builders is most have assembled a fair number of guns (10+). If the first one were absolutely perfect, that would be less of a theme, I think...

My thing is I havent seen Red Jacket do anything with AR's or AK's(For the most part) other than change some parts out here and there or modify a gas system, stamp their emblem on it and charge a ton for it. I wouldnt buy one of their products because I think the company is cheap I mean am I the only one who watched the TV show at all??? They acted like they had no clue as to how to assemble an AR for the episode where they went to Vegas, I mean I could understand if they were infact machining all of their own parts from scratch in house,but they were simple putting one together and were acting like it was rocket science. I mean they have a 50 BMG Upper for an AR lower on their website that is suppressed and they are wanting over $4,000 for it,or their Gas Piston AR is $2,500...maybe its just me but I would go with an HK,Barrett,LWRC,LMT if Im going to be spending that kind of money.

And yes Will did lose his FFL, the company was made into a LLC that was shared by 3 of the employees one of whom left, and the reason he lost his FFL is 2 or so firearms were "Stolen" and they said they "Threw Away" some recievers rather than disposing of them properly.

Edited by ~48_South~
  • Like 1

And yes Will did lose his FFL, the company was made into a LLC that was shared by 3 of the employees one of whom left, and the reason he lost his FFL is 2 or so firearms were "Stolen" and they said they "Threw Away" some recievers rather than disposing of them properly.

AgainTMZ and arf.com's regurgitation of the rumor don't make it true. The only validation of said claim were Facebook post supposedly by Vince who later claimed his account was hacked and he didn't make the post.

I've read Will's response that discredits TMZ and have yet to see anything to validate the rumors except broad conjecture on gun forums by people who seem to get jollies from seeing people destroyed.

I have no dog in the fight but I hate to see peoples livelihood and character be destroyed by internet/TV voyers who are more familiar with their mothers basement couch than the "top tier" AR's they dumped thousands into so they can have the approval of the cool kids.

Not specifically directed at you 48. ;)