Brass Thief at Range

No, this was at Scioto Range Cherokee National Forest in Unicoi. He was just an old man, that could barely walk, I'm not sure he could hear either. He had no ear pro on. I finished with one piece of brass that didn't clear the bench. So since he had all the rest I handed it to him. He mumble something I couldn't understand but seemed appreciative.

I haven't shot at a public range since I left Kansas 5 years ago, and, being primarily a black powder/muzzle loading guy, seldom had to worry about it then. BUT, the one time it did happen (when my best friend and I were pumping rounds through our lever guns), I simply turned to the guy and said, "Hey, I really appreciate you picking that stuff up for us, but we've only got about 200 more rounds and we were just gonna' grab it all at once when we got done. If you want, you can just dump it in my ammo can - that's what I usually do." He mumbled a crestfallen "Oh, okay..." and dumped our brass into my ammo can and left.

All you gotta' do is kill 'em with kindness! ;)

• Like 1

I shoot at the same place myself sometimes and see the occassional old-timer come through picking up spent brass, but not like that. Considering he was an old-timer, I would have probably let it slide too. But I agree with others, I NEVER pick up anyone else's brass unless I ask first or I wait and pick it up after they leave. I've been to the same range several times and had other shooters not only help me police my own brass, but even police their brass and give it to me. And I have done the same for others. Some people are beyond help, but with most folks you get what you give.

Guest iLLuzi0n

Ask him next time if he can catch the brass in his mouth before it touches the ground? If he can he is worthy of your brass... jk jk

Edited by iLLuzi0n

Was it at the range out on Rifle Range road?

Sounds like 1/2 the RSO's out there. I have seem them actually catch brass out of the air. There was one guy who made a game of catching brass in one of his vest pockets.

I had to start marking my brass. They would pick up my brass that I reload then argue with me that it wasn't my brass. Even after I marked them with a black sharpie they would say that there is no way to know if the brass was mine because everybody marks their brass with a black sharpie. After that conversation I began painting the rear of the cases with pink paint. And once again when I told them the brass they were picking was mine they tried to argue until I told them my brass was pink. It was like the brass was still hot how fast they dropped a pink case, after all no manly man would have pink brass.

I am so glad I do not go to that range anymore. Most of the RSO's are full of attitude and about 1/2 the shooters have attitudes as well.

Dolomite

That's why I don't like shooting at the rifle range out there. I'm a member but I like ORSA a little better for rifle and John Sevier for shotgun. I also don't like the look I get when I show up with a 10/22 and a revolver and the guy and his two sons the next spot over look at me funny and then laugh at the small caliber compared to their .308's. Though they couldn't hit the broad side of the barn at 100 yards to save their lives. Edited by gjohnsoniv

I don't save my brass, but I have thought about it.

I have actually left the range cold for extended periods and helped folks pick up brass (he and I were the only ones there) so that we could get back to shooting faster.

The fellow could have asked. That would have been the polite thing to do. However as the youngster, you did the right thing by just letting him be.

I also don't like the look I get when I show up with a 10/22 and a revolver and the guy and his two sons the next spot over look at me funny and then laugh at the small caliber compared to their .308's.

That is why everyone needs a Blackhawk chambered in .30 carbine. the flames will burn hair.

Guest 6.8 AR

I'd have asked him if he was interested in catching all of it and putting in my bag.

He didn't have any business picking up your brass if he wasn't polite enough to

ask first.

Was it at the range out on Rifle Range road?

Sounds like 1/2 the RSO's out there. I have seem them actually catch brass out of the air. There was one guy who made a game of catching brass in one of his vest pockets.

I had to start marking my brass. They would pick up my brass that I reload then argue with me that it wasn't my brass. Even after I marked them with a black sharpie they would say that there is no way to know if the brass was mine because everybody marks their brass with a black sharpie. After that conversation I began painting the rear of the cases with pink paint. And once again when I told them the brass they were picking was mine they tried to argue until I told them my brass was pink. It was like the brass was still hot how fast they dropped a pink case, after all no manly man would have pink brass.

I am so glad I do not go to that range anymore. Most of the RSO's are full of attitude and about 1/2 the shooters have attitudes as well.

Dolomite

Thats an awful broad brush you are painting with. Jon Sevier has it share of flakes and goof balls just as in any group of gun people. You take any ten gun people in any situation and chances are 3 of them will be a little askew. But dont forget every one of the 50-70 RSO's, including me, at that range are volunteering our hard earned time for no money at all. Thats right, nobody is paid for the countless hours (many RSO's number in the hundreds of volunteer hours in a year) we give in order to provide a safe place to shoot for the people of Knox and surrounding counties along with the Hunter Safety Program, youth shooting programs, kids and women in the outdoor programs as well as many other activities that promote the gun sports. I know most of the RSO's out there and cant think of a single one that would argue over keeping brass especially brass kicked into the air out of a semi auto. There is more 223, 308, 9, 40, 45 brass out there on the ground than a person could pick up in a couple of hours.

I always have to repeat my very favorite anecdote from John Sevier: me and 70below were talking during a hot session, folks firing all around, had our (non amplified) muffs on of course, and a RO came over and yelled at us "hold it down, people are trying to shoot here!"

I kid you not.

- OS

^^^i don't think anyone would dispute you on any of that. But apparently an RSO picked up DS's brass or he wouldn't have said it.

Was not trying to say it did not happen. Just trying to make the point that not all of us out there are nit wits, some are, but most aren't, and it unfair to paint us all with the same brush.

You sound like one of the reasonable ones.

I can honestly count on my two hands the RSO's that are decent guys. So yes the majority are full of attitude because you say there are 50-70 RSO's and I say of that 5-10 are decent guys and they know who they are. I speak to one of the decent guys a few times a week even though I never step foot on the range. A lot of the other RSO's are on a power trip or are just plain old idiots to the highest degree. You guys may not get paid but you do have other perks that more than make up for it. And you guys only work a day or two a month for those perks.

I have been told I can't swap scopes on the back table. So I moved it to the bench at that point I was told if I wanted to work on guns I needed to do it at home. And no the range wasn't packed with people waiting. Had an RSO argue that LC brass was from Lenoir City and that is why it is so good. Another was an apparent sniper and that everyone needed to get one shot kills like he did with his 1911 "in the war". Had another build a silencer out of a soda bottle and duct tape. He mounted it on his 22 pistol and showed everyone on the line what he was doing. Then he tells everyone who had gathered that it is perfectly legal because it was just a soda bottle. And there were young kids, mid teens, there who got pretty excited about trying it themselves.

There is one older RSO that all he does is grunt. He evidentally can't speak because all he ever does as he is checking weapons is swat his hand at the gun and grunt if there is a problem. He is absolutely one of the biggest jerks out there because he obviously feels he is entitled to be that way because of his orange vest and his advanced age.

And yes the RSO's (yes multiple) have taken my brass on more than one occassion. I had one tell me when it hits the ground it becomes the ranges property and to leave it. So I started using a catch bag for my AR. There was nothing I could do for my 1911 except paint the brass pink after a sharpie wasn't good enough.

I asked another RSO if I could shoot my suppressor there. He said he didn't know what I was talking about. I then said it was an NFA item and I got a WTF look. He then jumped on the radio and told me there were absolutely no allowed. 5 minutes later I heard the familiar pfft of someone firing a suppressor. My wife asked the RSO why he could and we couldn't. The RSO said it was because he made a copy of his paperwork up front. On the way out I asked about shooting suppressors and was told NFA items, including suppressors, were not allowed but it depends on the RSO. I was told some might allow it and some might try to seize it for the ATF. That was the last time I was at the range.

And realize this isn't on one trip but dozens of trips over the course of 3-4 years.

At this point I am glad I no longer go there. I understand the safety issue but you can be safe and courteous.

Dolomite.

• Like 1

i am glad i have my own place to shoot .i dont pick up range brass to use as most of the time you cant tell how it was loaded or how nany times. i do pick it up if it was mine or to clean up an area most of the rsos that work the twra ranges i have had contact with remind me of hall monters from 40 years ago when i was in high school they have a job and they do it with zeal

The outdoor range I use requires that everyone pick up their brass other than .22. I would not appreciate anyone taking my brass without my permission. Most shooters at this range don't shoot 6.8 SPC and wouldn't have any use for the brass. If someone isn't a , guest of the shooter, they shouldn't be at the firing line. As an RSO I've had to ask that children not be allowed to be at the firing line, as they were not under proper supervision. The RSO should be courteous while seeing that the range is used in a safe manner and club rules are not violated.

No!

He did not say "Do you mind if I pick up YOUR brass?" and you did not get to say "No, feel free." He just assumed.

Would you let him go through your pockets and wallet and pull out $1 bills? That's different from you reaching into your wallet and handing him cash.

Was this an attended or unattended range? Did he have permission from the range to be there? Is it possible he's "got an arrangement" with the range owners?

+1

Just because someone is up in their years, that doesn't give them a free pass in the manners department.

Edited by DaddyO

I can honestly count on my two hands the RSO's that are decent guys. So yes the majority are full of attitude because you say there are 50-70 RSO's and I say of that 5-10 are decent guys and they know who they are. I speak to one of the decent guys a few times a week even though I never step foot on the range. A lot of the other RSO's are on a power trip or are just plain old idiots to the highest degree. You guys may not get paid but you do have other perks that more than make up for it. And you guys only work a day or two a month for those perks.

I have been told I can't swap scopes on the back table. So I moved it to the bench at that point I was told if I wanted to work on guns I needed to do it at home. And no the range wasn't packed with people waiting. Had an RSO argue that LC brass was from Lenoir City and that is why it is so good. Another was an apparent sniper and that everyone needed to get one shot kills like he did with his 1911 "in the war". Had another build a silencer out of a soda bottle and duct tape. He mounted it on his 22 pistol and showed everyone on the line what he was doing. Then he tells everyone who had gathered that it is perfectly legal because it was just a soda bottle. And there were young kids, mid teens, there who got pretty excited about trying it themselves.

There is one older RSO that all he does is grunt. He evidentally can't speak because all he ever does as he is checking weapons is swat his hand at the gun and grunt if there is a problem. He is absolutely one of the biggest jerks out there because he obviously feels he is entitled to be that way because of his orange vest and his advanced age.

And yes the RSO's (yes multiple) have taken my brass on more than one occassion. I had one tell me when it hits the ground it becomes the ranges property and to leave it. So I started using a catch bag for my AR. There was nothing I could do for my 1911 except paint the brass pink after a sharpie wasn't good enough.

I asked another RSO if I could shoot my suppressor there. He said he didn't know what I was talking about. I then said it was an NFA item and I got a WTF look. He then jumped on the radio and told me there were absolutely no allowed. 5 minutes later I heard the familiar pfft of someone firing a suppressor. My wife asked the RSO why he could and we couldn't. The RSO said it was because he made a copy of his paperwork up front. On the way out I asked about shooting suppressors and was told NFA items, including suppressors, were not allowed but it depends on the RSO. I was told some might allow it and some might try to seize it for the ATF. That was the last time I was at the range.

And realize this isn't on one trip but dozens of trips over the course of 3-4 years.

At this point I am glad I no longer go there. I understand the safety issue but you can be safe and courteous.

Dolomite.

I love the 3 rifle ranges here in Nashville, no one cares what you do, what ya shoot, and no one bothers you. Nrange indoor, TWRA unmanned in Ashland City, and Owl Hollow, Franklin.

I try to be, most of the time I pull it off.

. You guys may not get paid but you do have other perks that more than make up for it. And you guys only work a day or two a month for those perks.

Other than a few extra shooting hours please explain to me what other perks I get, they must be keeping that a secret. I did get a nice cerificate and a drink mug once. There are some who may only work a day a month, but I can assure you there are plenty who work and volunteer more than ten a days a month. There is a helluva lot more that goes on there than just manning the benchrest area.