walmart 223

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Revelator

I know it was 5.99 here recently, a few weeks ago, but haven't checked lately. 5.19 is pretty good. Or was. Now I did notice they increased the federal 9 mil from $10 to $12 per box of fifty. Ugh! However the same ammo in the 100 count is like 20.99.

I was told by the lady in sporting goods at Wally world at East Town; That all their ammo will be going up.

Most all ammo will go up, little doubt about it. Besides the election freak out, it always does, just not necessarily as fast.

One oddity though, is that a couple weeks ago, I noticed Wally's price had come DOWN since last time I bought any on the 100 round Federal .223 packs to $34.xx, used to be $39.xx.

- OS

Most all ammo will go up, little doubt about it. Besides the election freak out, it always does, just not necessarily as fast.

One oddity though, is that a couple weeks ago, I noticed Wally's price had come DOWN since last time I bought any on the 100 round Federal .223 packs to $34.xx, used to be $39.xx.

- OS

Still $39.97 in rockwood

af0183a5.jpg

Still $39.97 in rockwood

af0183a5.jpg

Wow. I bought 4 boxes at the lower price over 4 day period in 'Nooga, at the Gunbarrel Road Wally.

Aha! just to be totally anal, I actually found one of the receipts in my paper recycling box, just to prove to myself I wasn't hallucinating! :)

UPC for that is 2946506070 (on box) at $34.97.

wmreceipt.jpg

- OS

That's the stuff. Makes me wonder why they lowered the price.

Did you also buy 10 boxes of Tula. I tried to buy 10 today in Crossville and they said they had a 6 box limit.

Yeah, that's the "x 10".

I haven't run into the old 6 box limit anywhere in the last year and a half or so. I'd say the clerk was dead wrong about the policy nowadays; unheard of at a Wally's I know. :)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Yeah, that's the "x 10".

I haven't run into the old 6 box limit anywhere in the last year and a half or so. I'd say the clerk was dead wrong about the policy nowadays; unheard of at a Wally's I know.

- OS

I thought as much, but she seemed very confident in her statement and I didn't feel like fighting. I can buy more at that price tomorrow or next day.

Too bad Tula sucks. I got over a thousand rounds through my AR-15 and the moment I decided to use some Tula, the fired case got stuck in the chamber. Had to ram it out with a cleaning rod. That stuff is crap. NEVER had a malfunction before... ever.

I've fired thousands of rounds of Tula in carbine courses over the last few years and I treat my rifles like lawnmowers. Done the same with Brown Bear and Wolf and have never had a single malfunction with any of them. If you couldn't fire a single case of steel without it producing an FTE, your chamber may be out of spec. Because the steel doesn't expand, there's blowback around the case in the chamber. This really doesn't cause any problems unless you have a really tight chamber OR you switch back to brass (which does expand) after shooting the steel.

Personally, I'd look at getting the chamber reamed or dump it.

The walmart I stopped at yesterday was low on stock in 9, 40, 45, and 223. so I only got a few of the 100 round boxes.

Yeah I'm not sure how to read it. The Walmart in Rockwood was low on stock (not 2008 low,but low), drove on to Crossville and they had plenty of everything. Both I consider Rural Walmart's that should get stocked similarly.

I'm going to check Knoxville and Oak Ridge today.

I've fired thousands of rounds of Tula in carbine courses over the last few years and I treat my rifles like lawnmowers. Done the same with Brown Bear and Wolf and have never had a single malfunction with any of them. If you couldn't fire a single case of steel without it producing an FTE, your chamber may be out of spec. Because the steel doesn't expand, there's blowback around the case in the chamber. This really doesn't cause any problems unless you have a really tight chamber OR you switch back to brass (which does expand) after shooting the steel.

Personally, I'd look at getting the chamber reamed or dump it.

Yikes, I guess I need to get my Colt checked out by a gunsmith. That or it was ####ty ammo. I'm feeling lazy. ^_^

Yeah I'm not sure how to read it. The Walmart in Rockwood was low on stock (not 2008 low,but low), drove on to Crossville and they had plenty of everything. Both I consider Rural Walmart's that should get stocked similarly.

I'm going to check Knoxville and Oak Ridge today.

Just FYI, having priced the same items at the Lenoir City Walmart, the Madisonville Walmart and the Rockwood Walmart, I can tell you that Rockwood - for whatever reason - is consistently more expensive. For instance, there was a particular knife I was looking at and it was three dollars more expensive at Rockwood than at the two previously mentioned stores.

Yikes, I guess I need to get my Colt checked out by a gunsmith. That or it was ####ty ammo. I'm feeling lazy.

Not cycling Tula does not mean its out of spec. Some cycle it, some won't. I'm just glad mine does cause its cheap and I like to shoot cheap. It's pretty dirty though. I've heard of people shooting several mags and THEN getting a stuck case.

Just FYI, having priced the same items at the Lenoir City Walmart, the Madisonville Walmart and the Rockwood Walmart, I can tell you that Rockwood - for whatever reason - is consistently more expensive. For instance, there was a particular knife I was looking at and it was three dollars more expensive at Rockwood than at the two previously mentioned stores.

Interesting, I'll look at LC on the way home. Thanks

Not cycling Tula does not mean its out of spec. Some cycle it, some won't. I'm just glad mine does cause its cheap and I like to shoot cheap. It's pretty dirty though. I've heard of people shooting several mags and THEN getting a stuck case.

Nope, my gun was sterilized and generously lubed. After about 10 rounds I was bustin out the cleaning rod. It was VERY stuck. The second time I cycled the bolt carrier and it actually yanked it out all by itself. After about 60 rounds I took it home and I have NEVER seen my gun so dirty. It took forever to get a clean patch out of the muzzle.

Any ideas on how to get the Tula working reliably in my AR? I'd love to shoot cheap ammo for practice. Ramming cases with my cleaning rod kind of takes the fun out of it and its kind of embarassing having a gun that jams every five seconds. I'm quite sure it looks like I'm loading a musket and people might think I'm retarded. I don't want to end up in the looney bin wearing a robe talking about George Washington and the Battle of Saratoga. Darn red coats!

Edited by w0lfattack

Yikes, I guess I need to get my Colt checked out by a gunsmith. That or it was ####ty ammo. I'm feeling lazy. ^_^

If it's a Colt, it definitely should be in-spec, but I'd get it checked out by someone who actually works on ARs. Any in-spec gun should cycle it.

The only basic maintenance thing you can do wrong is to let the chamber itself get so much carbon buildup that after just a few dozen rounds, the carbon/crap blowback is turning into glue. When you removed the stuck cases, did you notice any residue on the cartridge case walls? Normally, if it's there it appears as a black residue.

Edited by rgaper