Losing the serial number when refinishing

I'm at the refinishing portion of my Mosin sporter build. All of a sudden it occurred to me, I may lose my importer serial number accidently during the refinishing process (it is very lightly imprinted). How do I remedy this? Who is gonna be my new cell mate in the federal pokey? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bluing. It's trying take the machining marks out that I'm worried about. The importer just didn't stamp it very well or in an appropriate place on the rifle.

Write it down in big letters on a piece of paper, take a picture with paper and receiver or wherever the number is now, maybe photograph and write down any other identifying strikes and their locations -- then you and a witness paste the pics on a statement that everything on the paper and the rifle are the same, and get it notarized that you both swear so.

Sounds good, eh? Would show good intent anyway. Hell, it's not like it's a heater you're gonna stick up a stop 'n rob with, or off a gang rival and dump it -- I wouldn't worry.

This is however most certainly NOT legal advice. :)

- OS

For those saying "re-stamp it" that's not exactly the easy answer. If that is the number associated with the BATF paperwork, "losing" the serial number during refinishing is a major issue (for the BATF anyways). A few years ago, a buddy of mine who worked as a corrections officer laid his motorcycle down and his Springfield 1911 came out of his holster and got a nice bit of road rash that disfigured part of the serial number. In order to have the serial number re-stamped on the firearm, he had to go through a pretty lengthy paperwork process through the BATF that included submitting official police reports and a sworn affidavit from him about what happened. My friend couldn't simply re-stamp the number, but it had to be done by an FFL holder/gunsmith, and I want to say that an agent from the BATF actually had to be present to witness the process to make sure the correct number was stamped back into the firearm.

Perhaps things have changed since this happened in the early 2000s, but anytime one mechanically alters or obscures a serial number, it's a big deal, and potentially a felony. Perhaps there is some sort of exception in place for damage to a stamped serial number during legitimate maintenance, but my strong suspicion is that it would only apply to one who is an FFL license holder that is doing the work. My point here is that I would be extremely hesitant to just re-stamp a serial number on a firearm without making sure that it is that easy, which I am pretty certain it's not. I'd hate for you to take your rifle to a gun shop or have it examined by someone with authority and have them notice something is amiss with the serial number. I am afraid your explanation, as innocent as it may be, would not hold up to legal scrutiny. Obviously, if someone more knowledgeable than I am on this subject I welcome them to provide more insight or clarification.

EDIT/UPDATE:

Here is a link from the CMP forums that discusses this issue and provides an BATF letter that says obliterating the serial number is illegal, possession of a firearm where the serial number has been removed is illegal, and gives an overview of the process that must be followed to have it replaced:

http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/ad247/Gunny_2009_album/BATFE_rules/

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

If i were to rebarrel my M-1 Garand I would lose the import stamp ( Blue Sky ) the only indicator it was imported

Mosins don't have #s from when they were built ? I think this is the actual # you would have had on a 4473 or C&R books the importer stamp may be secondary ?

can you post a pic before it goes away ?

John