any gun shops in Memphis

mudstud

Guest 270win

Classic Arms is a nice store. They have a great selection of very nice used guns. Reasonable prices and very friendly people work there. Classic Arms can order whatever you want.

Guns and Ammo has a big selection.

Arms Fair is new and is an NFA dealer.

If you want to buy ammo or reloading supplies and don't mind driving go to Sportsman's Warehouse in Southaven. It is usually cheaper than Bass Pro in Memphis. Gun Exchange in Olive Branch is a nice gun store.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see.

Marines use the Benelli M4. Classic is a Benelli stocking dealer.

Seals use the Sig P226. Classic is a Sig stocking dealer.

PD's use the M&P line and Glocks. Classic is a Smith and Glock stocking dealer.

Colts, yep they stock those as well.

M1A's in stock.

Hell, they have a Knight's full ambi lower receiver in there.

Seems like a lot of fudd (still don't understand the term).

And as for any of them telling you to get a Mini14, do you know their name? Because I know for a fact that Chance, Mason, nor Greg would say that. As the shop's resident Ruger junkie, I wouldn't even say that (not that I work there). Chance is a marine and if he had his way, he would likely drive everyone towards the LMT MRP. Or is that a fudd rifle too? I don't know as I'm not a real OPERATOR (do I get extra credit for capitalizing the whole word?).

You're clearly personally offended and unable to have a logical conversation about this. The fact that a few hours ago you had never heard the term "fudd", you admit that you still don't understand it, and yet you're arguing that Classic Arms isn't a fudd store is pretty funny in itself.

That's great that you like the shop - go for it, have fun, fabulous. I'm sure they are a nice bunch of guys. I'll say it again... Classic Arms is a different type of store than Arms Fair is. The people behind the counter and their base of knowledge at both stores are very different as well.

Go into Arms Fair and ask about a comparison of Surefire vs. AAC suppressors, then go have the same conversation at Classic Arms. Go into Arms Fair and ask about hunting season, then go into Classic Arms and have that same discussion. Go into Arms Fair and ask about SBRing a gun, or ask them which SBRs they have in stock, then go to Classic Arms and do the same.

I'm not being mean, or emotional, or unfair.

To answer your questions...

1) Sure Classic Arms may have a Benelli, sure they have a KAC, sure they have some Glocks. The Kia dealership I passed by tonight had a Ford Mustang out front, does that make them a dealership that specializes in muscle cars?

2) I have no clue who it was who told me to get a Mini 14, but in fact it was multiple people in the store. If you have a lineup, I could pick them out of it, but it wasn't a really big, important day in my life to recall.

He is certainly entitled to his own opinion. And I have no problem with that. What I do I have a problem with is his lack of factual information.

You clearly do have a problem. I've laid out very clear information and anyone who's not affiliated with either shop could arrive at a similar conclusion. On the other hand, you have presented information that shows you are emotionally tied to Classic Arms and cannot present an unbiased opinion.

At the end of the day, my opinion and your opinion don't really matter. If someone posted a question on where to shop for a hunting rifle in Memphis, I'd tell them Classic Arms. If one of the guys I shoot with asked about a gun shop in Memphis, I'd tell them Arms Fair. Easy.

I've been in Classic Arms a few times since I moved to the area. Never have purchased anything, mostly because nothing caught my eye and partly because they never acknowledged me being there. Maybe I caught them during a bad time each time I went. I'm certainly not going back there and therefore won't be spending any money there.

I've used Arms Fair twice to handle transfers. The first time it went really smooth and they were very friendly. The owner even invited me out to MSSA to shoot clays. The second time it was much different. I even thought they had been purchased by a new owner. I understand that they would rather sell me a firearm than handle a transfer, but don't offer the service and then get snippy about it.

Guns & Ammo has a lot to choose from but their service is sometimes lacking. I did purchase my 1911 there but it was the price that brought me in. G&A is great if you know what you want and are ready to buy.

I wish Sportsman Warehouse was still here. I just don't like being in a car long enough to drive to Southaven. Bass Pro is a pain to get to and will be worse if they ever move to the pyramid.

You're clearly personally offended and unable to have a logical conversation about this. The fact that a few hours ago you had never heard the term "fudd", you admit that you still don't understand it, and yet you're arguing that Classic Arms isn't a fudd store is pretty funny in itself.

That's great that you like the shop - go for it, have fun, fabulous. I'm sure they are a nice bunch of guys. I'll say it again... Classic Arms is a different type of store than Arms Fair is. The people behind the counter and their base of knowledge at both stores are very different as well.

Go into Arms Fair and ask about a comparison of Surefire vs. AAC suppressors, then go have the same conversation at Classic Arms. Go into Arms Fair and ask about hunting season, then go into Classic Arms and have that same discussion. Go into Arms Fair and ask about SBRing a gun, or ask them which SBRs they have in stock, then go to Classic Arms and do the same.

I'm not being mean, or emotional, or unfair.

To answer your questions...

1) Sure Classic Arms may have a Benelli, sure they have a KAC, sure they have some Glocks. The Kia dealership I passed by tonight had a Ford Mustang out front, does that make them a dealership that specializes in muscle cars?

2) I have no clue who it was who told me to get a Mini 14, but in fact it was multiple people in the store. If you have a lineup, I could pick them out of it, but it wasn't a really big, important day in my life to recall.

With the advent of the internet and the wealth of info about the NFA I really don't need Arms Fair.

hey guys thanks for all the info I did not want to

start a war over stores. I am looking for a deer

rifle so i might try to get by calssic, oh well

I just happen to have a itch for lcr 357.Or some

more mags for my p250. I guess I am just going to

stop at them all. Thank you TGO

hey guys thanks for all the info I did not want to

start a war over stores. I am looking for a deer

rifle so i might try to get by calssic, oh well

I just happen to have a itch for lcr 357.Or some

more mags for my p250. I guess I am just going to

stop at them all. Thank you TGO

Thats the best thing to do. Shop around and make your own decisions. Happy hunting!

The guy asked about gun shops to visit. I told him what to expect. You insulted a shop. I used a colloquialism for one shop but I never insulted any of them.

Honestly, I've never found anything in Arms Fair that I couldn't get at Classic (NFA excluded of course). Arms Fair has such a minuscule selection. And they sell used guns as new. And the workers there are jerks both at the range and at the shop. But thats the first time I have ever bad mouthed the shop. I want to like them and support them but they make it hard.

I'm sorry that you don't like Classic. You are welcome not to like them. Just the same as I have the right to defend them.

I still don't know what you mean by fudd. But some people told me what one potential meaning might be so I assumed thats the one you meant.

To the OP, if you are still in town, check out all three shops. Don't let the bickering in this thread deter you from seeing what little Memphis has to offer in the way of gun shops.

The guy asked about gun shops to visit. I told him what to expect. You insulted a shop. I used a colloquialism for one shop but I never insulted any of them.

Honestly, I've never found anything in Arms Fair that I couldn't get at Classic (NFA excluded of course). Arms Fair has such a minuscule selection. And they sell used guns as new. And the workers there are jerks both at the range and at the shop. But thats the first time I have ever bad mouthed the shop. I want to like them and support them but they make it hard.

I'm sorry that you don't like Classic. You are welcome not to like them. Just the same as I have the right to defend them.

I still don't know what you mean by fudd. But some people told me what one potential meaning might be so I assumed thats the one you meant.

To the OP, if you are still in town, check out all three shops. Don't let the bickering in this thread deter you from seeing what little Memphis has to offer in the way of gun shops.

I guess that's where I'm troubled by your posts... there's nothing to defend. I didn't offend or insult any shop. You didn't understand what I was saying and yet decided to go on the defensive. In fact, I would encourage you to go back and read this entire thread from the start and then decide where the insults came from. <insert Michael Jackson "Man in the Mirror" music here>

With respect to the OP - my intent was to save you time or guide you appropriately based on your interests, not start a pee-pee match. You didn't say what you were interested in upon your original request so I attempted to give you a quick and dirty... if you like fudd stuff (hunting rifles and sporting guns) Classic is your place, if you like EBRs and NFA, Arms Fair is your shop.

Interesting thread. I'm neither an operator nor a fudd, if I understand the terms correctly.

I have purchased firearms from all three of the metioned dealerships in the past couple of years - Arms Fair, Classic Arms, and Guns and Ammo. I have had positive experiences each time and would buy from any of them again.

Whenever I have visted these shops I have found the sales staff attentive and friendly.

Don's Guns out in Collierville is a very friendly little shop and while they don't have a big selection, sometimes they have some some interesting used guns at good prices. Right on Poplar just before the Hwy 72 split off.

Don's Guns out in Collierville is a very friendly little shop and while they don't have a big selection, sometimes they have some some interesting used guns at good prices. Right on Poplar just before the Hwy 72 split off.

Don's turns up some pretty interesting used guns from time to time and is good on the pricing for those guns too. The parking situation for the store is a little tricky.

Edited by rgaper

With the advent of the internet and the wealth of info about the NFA I really don't need Arms Fair.

Haven't been to Ams Fair. From reading this, don't see any reason to go there as I was looking for a 1911, not EBR or NFA.

Guest prixdc

The guys at Arms Fair are very nice. Don't treat you like a thief or pest like G&A. Had a casual 30 minute convo with them one day. Bought a Glock 19 after.

I'll add my pennies as well. I'm a customer of all 3 of the main gun stores in Memphis (Classic, G&A, and Arms-Fair). I have had both good AND bad experiences at ALL 3...will I shop at all of them again? Of course. Each store has multiple employees and well my take on it is, if I get a bad experience one day, I'll go back next time and get a different guy.

Classic - Best place for transfers ($25 + $10 TICS fee). One of the best for standard gunsmithing. Chance is the guy to talk to for AR15 stuff (short with buzz cut). They also have a good selection of rifles and shotguns and one of the guys there is really knowledgeable about trap shooting (referred couple of my trap shooting friends to them and they both made purchases at Classic). They also have a nice collection of some upper end 1911's. They also carry some 1911 small parts as well. I needed some grip screws and the guy who normally sits behind the register (I think he is the owner or the gunsmith) gave me some for a few bucks and didn't even ring me up. The bad part about them is that sometimes they do ignore you. My first time ever there I walked right back out because I was ignored for so long. But I gave them a second chance and have been there multiple times since. I see plenty of satisfied customers there everytime I go.

Guns and Ammo - Best place for selection period. If you pay in cash, you get a pretty significant savings since the tax is what lures people to buying online. I've bought countless guns from them. They are a very high volume store, so it does get packed sometimes. They also have a lot of staff. Some suck. Some are good. I personally like the guy who looks like he is in his 40's maybe, with the youngish face and pepper colored hair (used to be light brown but everytime I see him his hair keeps aging haha) and try to pick him whenever I want to buy a gun. And he recognizes me as well. So I like that. Wide selection of ammo but if you want to buy in bulk, buy online or at Sportsman or Bass Pro.

Arms-Fair - As others mentioned, they are the only NFA dealer in Memphis. The only staff I like there is Andy (young guy, skinny with short hair). He's nice, very knowledgeable about AR15's, NFA items, Glocks, and 1911's. He is also their gunsmith. Arms-Fair is a very small store and selection sucks. But they do have good prices for the stuff that they do carry. Now, their transfer fees are going to be going up and they do hate doing transfers. Mainly because they aren't making money from that, which is understandable. Most of their income is from gun sales and from gunsmithing. But its not a bad shop and I do use them from time to time solely because of Andy being a nice guy and being a good smith. I believe they are getting a mill soon (or maybe they have one already) and they also have a lathe and sonic cleaner. So if you have needs for those services, they would be the place to go. Hopefully their selection will improve over time. And also they do give military/law enforcement discounts as well (maybe the others do too but I know for a fact that they do at Arms-Fair).

I hate when a gun shop employee gives you their opinion about a particular firearm, without being asked to do so. For example, customer walks in and ask if they carry brand X. Shop employee says no and then offers, "we see nothing but problems with them so we don't carry it".

The only shop I have ever heard this was in Arms Fair.

Just for the record, arms fair is not the only NFA shop in town. Patriot defense arms is NFA and charges the least for transfers. Range USA is also class iii

Where is Patriot Defense Arms? Do they have an actual shop? I was under the impression it was just like an office or something. And how much are their transfers? Classic was the cheapest I've found and it seemed pretty reasonable. I've got 10 AR lowers on order and if I can save more money I'd like to do so.

I was only referring to NFA transfers. And they are a specialty shop. I just organized a group buy with them. If you need NFA or ar goodies, they are the place. Otherwise hit another shop.

As for the location of these places, I posted google maps for all of them on page one

I hate when a gun shop employee gives you their opinion about a particular firearm, without being asked to do so. For example, customer walks in and ask if they carry brand X. Shop employee says no and then offers, "we see nothing but problems with them so we don't carry it".

The only shop I have ever heard this was in Arms Fair.

As a purchaser of "lower end" firearms such as Wilson Combat, Colt and Glock, I see no need to waste time at Arms Fair.