Best guns to stock up on

Personally I would go with a Glock 17/19, Ruger 10/22, Mosin Nagant, and a Kel-Tec Sub 2000. Reasoning; Glock mags can be used in the Kel-Tec. The Kel-Tec can be easily collapsed and stored. The 10/22 fires .22 which is cheap and plentiful, and not that loud. You can also kill just about anything. Finally the Nagant is powerful, decently accurate, cheap, and ammo is very inexpensive.

The only down side I have with the nagant is the weight and kick for some of the smaller shooters in the group, ie wife and kids. I know that the wife has shot the mossberg with no problems. There will however be a Nagant and plent o ammo avail for me. I will be putting the 3 long guns in 1 bag to make us a little more mobile so weight was a little of a factor. There will be alot of weight in ammo so the less the gun weights the better.

mosin is a brick to lug around, as are the other similar guns (mausers and so forth). I love my mauser but I dunno about hauling it very far. It would best suited to mount in the back of a jeep!

Hard to beat the price of it though, and if you bubba the crap out of it you can cut the weight down to "hunting rifle" range. Not hard to reduce the weight on them but gotta be careful as messing with the stock/barrel can fubar the accuracy.

Those look like great choices, and I kick myself for forgetting to mention the shared magazines --- I even thought it when I mentioned kel-tec. The 25 round 10-22 mags are not expensive at all.

I would suggest getting the mossy in 243 for the wife and kids, but I would also say 308 because of the surplus ammo supply. Not sure which way is better for you. I would get 308 cause its easy to deal with and my wife can handle it well enough, and I dont have kids. But .... its a shoulder thumper.

Its a compromise but you might get lighter weight bullets for your supply. The difference in 115 grain 9mm and 140 grain 9mm isnt much, but every 300 rounds is a pound difference in bullet mass. Rifles, the same. A 243 vs a 308 will save you a few pounds.

Edited by Jonnin

You can always get one of the synthetic sporter stocks, not sure how much weight that would shave off though. The only reason I mentioned the Nagant is because of the price factor for both rifle and ammo. Not the best but for price and reliability you can't beat it, the 18" bayonet could also come in handy...

I thought about the ammo weight but did not know the weght difference in large quantities. I have thought about the Nagant with the ATI stock, just think the kick might be to much for the 100lb wife. I have not thought about the 243 rounds, I dont know a whole lot about that round, but I will look into that and maybe pick one up to try out the round. The bulk 308 price was a big factor in chosing that round. I am trying to get the most for the money but not at the expense of it being to much gun for some in the group. Maybe as the little ones get bigger I will take them to the range with my Nagant,the wife still hates that gun after shooting it several times.

True grit- I like the list but I think firing a shot gun in a bunker may be just a tad loud and may hurt the families ability to comunicate. Also if I fire it at someone coming through the door it may do damage to the door that can't be fixed, making it easier for the next intruder. As gor going to 40 over 9mm the cost in bulk is still 50% more for the .40. I prefer .40 and carry weapon is a 40 but just more practical to get 9mm and more of it, also 9mm might be a better bartering tool if needed

Edited by climberscott_1999

Edit: both highpoint and kel tec have lifetime "we will fix it for you" warrenty, which is why I listed them over some of the other inexpensive options.

Just a note: Kel-Tec has changed to original owner only warranty.

- OS

Dolomite- I did not think of silensers. good idea especially if we are going to remain stationary. It would get steep in cost and might raise eyes buying 20 suppressors. I guess if I get 2 per person that might not be as bad.

Don't need 20 suppressors. A 30 caliber suppressor will work pretty well with anything smaller. A 45 suppressor will work with 9mm pretty well. I will say that if you plan on using one on a 22 then buy a dedicated 22 suppressor. They tend to be lighter and more manageable on a day to day basis.

Buy a suppressor that uses some sort of QD setup then buy the QD mount for all the weapons you want them on.

Dolomite

7000 grains is 1 pound. From there its just simple math ... say a 140 grain 9mm vs a 115, so thats 140-115 = 25. 100 of those is 2500 grains more. 200 is 5k. 300 is 7500, about a pound then for every 300 rounds.

243 is a 308 with a necked down and lighter powder charge (at least I think its much lighter, someone can correct me?) and is an ultra high velocity, long range, flat shooting round that is fine for man or beast up to a pretty good sized animal, anything around here. It would be ideal for teens/kids/women/nerds/etc. Trouble is, no bulk military buys on the ammo. You were talking about a bolt action gun though, not a spray & pray. 243 is not that expensive for a few rounds, and 100 per person should be more than enough. What is it FOR that you need more than a few rounds in a BA gun?? Personal story... we had a target on rebar at a guy's backyard range. "Had" because the 243 cut the bar in half... its really moving right along, was the first round where I actually heard the sonic boom of the bullet in the distance (not uncommon but my first as a teenager).

Again its hard to beat surplus ammo. Is there a different WW2 gun that might do for the weaker family members? Most of that stuff is brutal, I cannot think of it. I downloaded my 765 to just over a 30-30, but thats handloading and it makes a great shooter, still plenty of oomph at 100-200 yards. I don't need a mile range sniper gun. If handloading is an option, get the 308 and you can drop some rounds down. And, handloading will save you a TON on this project anyway...!!! Dunno, just random thoughts.

Guest ochretoe

I have the glock 22 and the keltec sub 2000 in .40. Great combo. my other combo is S&W 681 4" and Marlin 1894 both in .357. No mag swapping but they both shoot .357 and .38. Easy ammo's to get and reload and stock up on. Throw in a .22 combo like mark III and a ruger 10-22 with either set up. You are good to go.

EDIT: My fist discription yeilded a lot of good answers but not what I was looking for. Here is the deal,

1- I want 4 guns the total cost of all 4 combined cost can't be over $1600 (that takes almost all AR, 1911's, AR-10and 50 cals out). I want all members in my group to carry the same guns for the ability to just swap mags,ammo,parts.

2- Ammo has to be affordable and accessable. I am not looking at roaming the street looking for ammo to get off the less fortunate. I will stock enough to last a while

3- I am not prepping for end of the world, just prepping for civil unrest. (situations like that happened in the middle east) that gets back under control after a couple of months.

4- looking to get a handgun, carbine in hand gun ammo, and a mid - long range rifle, 22 rifle or handgun. I won't be hunting for survival (maybe for fun) this is protection only.

5- the safe house is smaller so need wepons that are ment for close quarters (that rules out shot guns- to much for what I need)

6- would like to be able to carry all 4 at one time if needed, the safe house will have other fire arms in it, I just want these four to be the goto's so I can train family on them and the will be comfortable using them.

7- we will be using the safe house mainly as a protection at night and we would just hang around the property during the day. We are not going to go out and look for a fight. I don't think of this as being sitting ducks, just makes more sense to stay where you are fimiliar with the surroundings.

I understand that AR's and Shotguns are great, I own some but when looking at this project they did not fit what I was going for,like most I have a budget and money is an issue, if it wasn't an issue I would not have posed this every one would have 1911's, ar-15, ar-10 and cz 22lr. I understand that my prepping may not make sense to you but I am not afraid of the END of the world as I know where me and my family are going. I just want to be safe if people get stupid.

1. 4.2" Ruger SP101 in .357 Magnum ...... $600

2. 18.5" Marlin 1894 in .357 Magnum .........$600

3. 18" Marlin 795 in .22 LR .........................$140

4. Mosin Nagant in 7.62x54R ......................$150

5. 50 round box of Magtech .357 SJSP x 3..$ 60

6. 500 round box of CCI 22LR LRN x 2........$ 45

$1595 later you have a hunting/self defense carbine that shares ammo with your sidearm, which you can hunt with also if need be. You have a .22 for small game and practicing marksmanship, and a long range rifle. You could realistically carry all four at the same time, with the carbine and .22 slung, revolver in a holster, and carrying the Mosin. You could load .38 ammo in the carbine and revolver if you're worried about overpenetration in a small home. The .22 rifle will give you better self-defense performance from the small 22LR cartridge than you would get from a .22 handgun.

IMHO these weapons are well suited for family use because, unlike an AR or other automatics, they do not require extensive training on failure to fire drills. Teach your family the basics of weapons maintenance and muzzle awareness and y'all will be good to go. If you bought either of the .357s used you would have enough money left to get some ammo for the Mosin and cleaning kits for everything.

Edited by Wheelgunner

There is a lot of food for thought here. If I were going with a lever gun for my main rifle, why not go for a lever gun for my .22 as well? It would be great for training as well as cheap! I think a Henry would make a great second rifle as would a Marlin 39A.

Wheel gunner- that is an interesting option. I am going to look into the wheel gun option. The 357 should take down anything with 5 or less rounds so reloading should not an issue. I love the idea of the 1894 as the carbine. I would still probably stay away from the Nagant for the wife and kids. Thanks for the ideas. I am liking the lever gun idea. My only concern would be reloading issues.

Edited by climberscott_1999

Wheel gunner- that is an interesting option. I am going to look into the wheel gun option. The 357 should take down anything with 5 or less rounds so reloading should not an issue. I love the idea of the 1894 as the carbine. I would still probably stay away from the Nagant for the wife and kids. Thanks for the ideas. I am liking the lever gun idea. My only concern would be reloading issues.

Well, I'm big on the shared caliber issue. Add the convertible version of the Ruger Blackhawk and you can span 3 calibers right there: .38/.357/9mm

I cover 9mm with:

several pistols

Ruger Blackhawk revolver

Kel-Tec and Hi-Point carbines

.38/.357:

Couple of double action revolvers plus Ruger Blackhawk

Marlin 1894c carbine.

.22LR:

Revolver/semi auto pistol (A Ruger Single Six will let you shoot .22mag too)

Rifle of your choice

- OS

a pistol caliber lever gun holds quite a few, at least 10 shots of 357 I think (??) on the average. And its not bad to load, similar to an auto shotgun, with practice its not bad at all, and with practice, you can shoot them pretty darn fast.

Ive got a 308 lever action; you can find them in a lot of calibers.

A lever 357 is as good as a 223 IMHO for defense purposes and better for hunting.

Edited by Jonnin

based on your budget this would be my set up...

Glock 17...

Keltec Sub2k...

Mossberg 590A1...

There you only have to buy two types of ammo...two guns take the same mags and then the other doesn't take mags...also you can get 9mm quite cheaply and buy a lot of it...

Guest 270win

You can pick up clean used 357 revolvers for not a lot of money. 357 lever action carbines are not cheap but good. Look for used wingmaster Remington 870's. You can swap out the hunting barrel for a short barrel. I have seen used 870 wingmasters as cheap as 200 bucks. Parts swap out easy. Get the 3 inch version to shoot long loads or short 2 and 3/4. Marlin is making a nice bolt action. 30-06 ammo you can buy from civilian marksmanship program. You can also find inexpensive Savage bolt actions. Used Savage, Marlin bolt actions. Bolts will feed any ammo.

I think a pump shotgun will give you a lot and duplicate what centerfire rifles will do. With slugs or buckshot you can hunt deer, black bears, or hogs. How far away are you shooting deer? Also you might have some duplication between a pistol caliber carbine and a bolt centerfire.

A 22 rifle is always good and honestly if you can get a good 22 revolver with a 4 inch barrel.

Edited by 270win

a pistol caliber lever gun holds quite a few, at least 10 shots of 357 I think (??) on the average. ...

Yeah, Marlin is 9+1 .357, 10+1 .38. Hard to find a Marlin 1897 though and they go for MSRP or more most of the time. Most get another brand anymore.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Lester Weevils

I didn't get them as any grand survival strategy, but liked the shared caliber concept and collected--

.22LR-- Several .22 pistols, Colt AR-22 and Rem 541T HB bolt rifle

.357 Mag-- S&W 586 revolver and Henry lever gun.

9mm-- Several 9mm pistols and Beretta CX4 Rifle

.223/5.56-- PLR-16 pistol and MSAR bullpup

EDIT: My fist discription yeilded a lot of good answers but not what I was looking for. Here is the deal,

1- I want 4 guns the total cost of all 4 combined cost can't be over $1600 (that takes almost all AR, 1911's, AR-10and 50 cals out). I want all members in my group to carry the same guns for the ability to just swap mags,ammo,parts.

4- looking to get a handgun, carbine in hand gun ammo, and a mid - long range rifle, 22 rifle or handgun. I won't be hunting for survival (maybe for fun) this is protection only.

5- the safe house is smaller so need weapons that are meant for close quarters (that rules out shot guns- to much for what I need)

I understand that AR's and Shotguns are great, I own some but when looking at this project they did not fit what I was going for.

Good suggestions, I was really looking to find a combo that allows you to share ammo and possibly mags. I don't want to have to stock up on 3 diff kinds of ammo. I know that an AR is EVERYONES favorite gun but after buying an AR it only allows for $500 to buy 2 other guns. AR's are just to high in price right now, I know they "sell" for 700-800 but thats if you can find them at that. I was looking at a total cost of $1500 for 3 guns.

I think your criteria makes good sense from a logistical standpoint.

Based on your criteria I have listed a few options below.

I appreciate your parameters and I’ll try to stay in that context.

Glock 19 9mm from Bud’s. $499.00.

Kel-Tec Sub 9mm Glock 17 magazines $399.99.

Ruger 10/22 from Academy Sports. $249.00.

Gunbroker: KelTec Sub2K9.

I don’t have personal experience with the Kel Tec Sub2K, but plan on purchasing one.

I also have no personal experience with any Hi point product, but a lot of folks seem to really like theirs…

A quality suppressor is an excellent suggestion as well, and offers great utility and versatility. Especially one for a .22…to fit my 10/22 and/or a .22 handgun…

Prag- I thought about the hipoints because of the cost and I own a couple and do like them but the max mag is 10rounds. You can get ones a little bigger but they are not at all reliable. I might get a couple of hipoints to stash on th property for emergency back up if caught out of the safe house.