Walking Dead, what are you gonna do?

I think the main reason considering this as a real scenario is so distasteful for me is because it has frightening, even fatal implications for someone with an autoimmune disease like Type 1 diabetes. My son wouldn't survive very long as there would be no medicine or what was left would go bad without refrigeration. Even with refrigeration, it has an expiration date and when it ran out, there wouldn't be any more. Not fun to think about.

I already have enough nightmares where he is concerned, so maybe you can see why pondering this apart from the entertainment factor only produces more nightmares.

Even though he hasn't said it, I think that may be the reason he has absolutely no interest in watching the show.

A couple of years back I had some strange thing with my heart where the muscle got weak. There were no blockages or anything else, just a rather suddenly weakened heart muscle - my ejection fraction was down to 15% where most adults my age have an EJ of 65% to 75%. Along with that came fluid collecting around my heart, resulting in congestive heart failure. Since then, I have been on multiple medications to control my heart rate, keep fluid off and so on. I have recovered to the point that my EJ is now 50%-55% so things aren't as dire but, for now, I am still on multiple meds for that. Diabetes also runs in my family and a couple of years ago the docs decided I have it (non insulin dependent.) I have to take a couple of pills a day for that.

In a SHTF situation, honestly, what would probably get me first if I ran out of meds would most likely be if water retention again became a problem. I'd guess it would take a little while with no meds for it to get to the point of being a problem and probably even longer before my heart finally just gave out. Judging by the way I felt, before, however in the final stages I'd be short of breath, would have no energy and would not be capable of running from anything. My plan would be to spend whatever time I had, while I was capable of doing things, trying to make sure that my loved ones would have the best, possible chances once I am gone. There would be no bugging out, for me, as long as there is a choice.

My nephew has type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed as a small child. He takes multiple insulin injections a day and, like your son, some of his insulin has to be kept cold. He is seventeen, enjoys watching zombie shows and playing zombie video games. He was recently talking about how 'cool' a zombie outbreak might be. That is, until I pointed out to him that once we each ran out of our respective meds, we'd both most likely be toast. I told him that I might only have a few months but that once he ran out of insulin he'd only have a few days or maybe a couple of weeks, if he is lucky, and that it might be impossible to keep his insulin that needs to be refrigerated cold. He hadn't thought of that.

Edited by JAB

The last episode just like several others screams for a 10/22 and 5000 round brick for every person.

Yep, I've always maintained that is THE weapon for the zed hordes.

In World War Z, that's what was issued to the commando lady, the one who calmly climbed into a tree when she got hemmed in. Bout 30 minutes later she climbed down and walked over all the dead to the highway.

- OS

Yep, I've always maintained that is THE weapon for the zed hordes.

In World War Z, that's what was issued to the commando lady, the one who calmly climbed into a tree when she got hemmed in. Bout 30 minutes later she climbed down and walked over all the dead to the highway.

- OS

Wasn't she the same one that was hearing unconfirmed voices the entire time?

Dang if I can remember exactly. So many vignettes in that. I'd re-read it sometime but don't have it anymore.

Yeah, that's the same chick; she was a cargo pilot. Although I thought she had a suppressed 9mm, not a .22.

The last episode just like several others screams for a 10/22 and 5000 round brick for every person.

I think it depends on if any headshot will do the trick or if a significant portion of the brain must be destroyed. If any headshot will do then heck, yeah - give me a .22 and a boatload of ammo. I am not a great shot - there are many on this forum better than me - but were I to be in a position where I was safe but surrounded (meaning I could take my time and aim), I'd be fairly confident in my ability to put a .22 from a rifle through a zombie's eye with a pretty good rate of success. However, If I am going to have to pump six or eight shots into each zombie brain just to do enough damage to get it to shut down, I think I'd rather have a larger caliber.

Edited by JAB

I was wondering the same thing. The rest of the brain stayed dead. It was just the brain stem showing activity.

My guess is ease of story telling. They'd never make it if every shot had to blow out that little brain stem, magic 40 round shotgun or not.

Edited by monkeylizard
Guest Slamskie

I think in the world we live in now it is ALWAYS good to think of every possible what if....I mean dang...what if the Mayans were right?????.....

I was wondering the same thing. The rest of the brain stayed dead. It was just the brain stem showing activity.

My guess is ease of story telling. They'd never make it if every shot had to blow out that little brain stem, magic 40 round shotgun or not.

Hahaha! I'm glad that finally got brought up. I groan every time someone takes out a walker with a knife or an arrow into the cerebral cortex (front of the brain). That's the part that separates the humans from the zombies, and they most assuredly don't need it! My wife is kind of tired of hearing about it...lol.

I thought at the CDC the guy showed the brainstem came back, if so i am not sure how they are killing all the walkers

There are multiple inconsistencies. If the CNS is the vulnerability on zombies, how did the guy who had his neck broken come back walking around?

I think in that world you'd be better off getting really good at kneecapping them.

Edited by BryanP

Well, if you take the word "zombie" for the social metaphor most of us do and you don't take the word eaten as literal then yes, it's a very valid statement.

The ghetto zombies were eating people out of home and business.

Reginald Denny would probably agree with this statement.

**edit** OT: I am thinking this through.....not much point in posting that I would be running around like idiot with the ol' Louisville slugger :)

Edited by Makiaveli

I'm still not sure why there are some un-zombified dead bodies, like in some cars on the highway. OK, so maybe they died before being infected, so they didn't resurrect. That would explain someone who died early in the outbreak from anything other than being attacked by a zombie. But what caused these un-zombies to die sitting in their cars?

Edited by monkeylizard

I'm still not sure why there are some un-zombified dead bodies, like in some cars on the highway. OK, so maybe they died before being infected, so they didn't resurrect. That would explain someone who died early in the outbreak from anything other than being attacked by a zombie. But what caused these un-zombies to die sitting in their cars?

I was reading something yesterday which explained that most likely these people died from head trauma after a multi-vehicle accident. If you die from a massive head injury, there's nothing for the virus to reanimate.